Gerrard - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

27 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Can't see him staying on for a 3rd term personally. His ego is massive so I doubt he'll want his name attributed to being the manager at the help if Celtic clinch the 10.

Is it?  I think he comes across as confident in his own abilities but I've never really though of him as egotistical like a Mourinho.

On 3/2/2020 at 7:28 PM, vanderark14 said:

I agree with this. He just takes defeat badly, most succesful people do.

Apart from he hasn't been that successful. The champions League aside, most of the remaining trophies he has won are in tournaments the big guns can't get out of quick enough. 

6 hours ago, Farcity said:

Apart from he hasn't been that successful. The champions League aside, most of the remaining trophies he has won are in tournaments the big guns can't get out of quick enough. 

I disagree, when he won the FA, league and UEFA cup they still had some prestige but not nowadays. You also cant dismiss his CL medal to suit your argumennt. He also reached the final again in 2007.

114 caps for england too.

He is arguably the best player to never win the epl. 

Id say you would be in a small.minority to say gerrard wasnt succesful. He may be a wanker but its impossible not to admire his playing career.

Edited by vanderark14

28 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I disagree, when he won the FA, league and UEFA cup they still had some prestige but not nowadays. You also cant dismiss his CL medal to suit your argumennt. He also reached the final again in 2007.

Id say you would be in a small.minority to say gerrard wasnt succesful. He may be a wanker but its impossible not to admire his playing career.

I don't think he is a w***r.  Why do you think that?  I wish he was Scottish and had played for us.  To me he comes across as a passionate and decent guy.  Same as Beckham.  P.S.  Not trolling.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Loyal as well, no doubt got many offers to leave at his peak and he played in some average Liverpool teams. 

20 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Loyal as well, no doubt got many offers to leave at his peak and he played in some average Liverpool teams. 

Forgot about that.  He was offered mega money when Chelsea were at their peak.  He did consider it if I remember but made the right decision.  Paul Mcstay springs to mind.  Good guys the two of them.

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Trumped by staying at the club until you’re finished at the highest level i reckon 

Well knock me down with a feather, I was always led to believe that a transfer request was a pretty strong indication that someone was intending to leave a club.  

1 minute ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Does that count for everyone? Rooney was due to leave quite a few times before his loyalty to money United came out to shine.

Depends on the context I suppose. Doubt Rooney would have felt the same connection with Man U that Gerrard had with Liverpool. Money plays a massive part in it as well obviously. Messi is loyal to Barcelona but then he’s paid well for it. 

I'm sure if it was down to money then he'd have been away to Chelsea like shit off a shovel.  He said on his documentary thing (which is mind numbingly boring) that he felt Benitez was trying to force him out.  I do remember at the time being baffled by the reports that they were looking to move him on and replace him with Gareth Barry who, while a decent player, couldn't have laced the boots of the guy that laced Gerrard's boots.

Edited by Fairbairn

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Why didn’t he leave then?

Well they rewarded his "loyalty" with an extra 40k a week, might have influenced him a wee bit. 

Okay, why do you think he would put in a transfer request then? 

Always thought Gerrard was never as good as the hype both he and the English media bought into. Pretty sure the only ‘big’ team that tried to sign him was Chelsea during the period they were spunking money all of the place. A good player for sure but never World Class. I always felt he was at his peak when Alonso was playing alongside him.