Gerrard - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Ah this old argument, what ever your definition of world class is

OK, I was a world class defender then, going by any definition I want.

World class can mean various things, to various people. But I can guarantee you, that by my definition of world class, Lampard isn't even close, being world class should mean something, not simply saying 100 players or so in a season is world class.

3 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

Out of the three top English midfielders of his generation (Gerrard, Lampard & Scholes) - I would have Scholes in my team always before the other two.(even allowing for his two goals against us at Hampden )

Cant believe Im saying this, but Beckham? He has to be ahead of Lampard at the very least.

Has Scholes retrospectively got the recognition he deserves? Or is it hipster to rate Scholes over more flamboyant players of his generation?

Scholes was a great player and other great players have backed up the assertion, I just don’t remember him really getting much of the plaudits until the end of his career....

Beckham probably under rated because of his celebrity status, him and Lampard are both a level or two below any world class discussion.

2 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Gerrard was nowhere near the quality of Scholes. Sorry but thats complete madness. 😂

He was dirty as fuck and a real liability (red card wise) towards the end of career. It was Alex Ferguson who really made the effort to talk him up into some undiscovered midfield genius... mostly to encourage him to play fro him way past his sell by date. At his peak I never ever thought he was world class.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

OK, I was a world class defender then, going by any definition I want.

World class can mean various things, to various people. But I can guarantee you, that by my definition of world class, Lampard isn't even close, being world class should mean something, not simply saying 100 players or so in a season is world class.

Never a huge fan of becks

but he virtually rescued them v greece that time to qualify

39 minutes ago, thplinth said:

He was dirty as fuck and a real liability (red card wise) towards the end of career. It was Alex Ferguson who really made the effort to talk him up into some undiscovered midfield genius... mostly to encourage him to play fro him way past his sell by date. At his peak I never ever thought he was world class.

If Scholes wasn’t world class, I’m not sure where that puts Gerrard and Lampard. Bang average ? 😂

41 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Xavi, who is surely one of the best central midfielders that ever lived, claimed that Scholes was the best midfielder he'd seen. I wouldn't necessarily rate him as highly as that but it's a pretty glowing endorsement. 

1 minute ago, Jim Beem said:

If Scholes wasn’t world class, I’m not sure where that puts Gerrard and Lampard. Bang average ? 😂

I had alluded to the same as thplinth to be fair.

I feel there’s been a bit of rewriting history with Scholes.

11 minutes ago, Farcity said:

Xavi, who is surely one of the best central midfielders that ever lived, claimed that Scholes was the best midfielder he'd seen. I wouldn't necessarily rate him as highly as that but it's a pretty glowing endorsement. 

I’m pretty sure Zidane and Pirlo said the same. 😳

On 3/4/2020 at 9:30 PM, JECK said:

Some short memories on here re Gerrards playing career. Could play right back, centre mid, off the main striker. You could put him centre half and he'd still be the best player. Win a game in an instant, easily world class. Scored in world cups, countless champions league games and helped dragged his club to 2 finals.

The Rangers job, though an opportunity he felt he probably couldnt turn down, was/is a no win situation and a mistake in my opinion.

He was a brilliant, world class player.

Comes across as a bit of a dick as a manager though, but then again so do a lot of managers.

47 minutes ago, fringo said:

He was a brilliant, world class player.

Comes across as a bit of a dick as a manager though, but then again so do a lot of managers.

This. I can't stand him but he was a very good player. I'd say definitely better than Scholes. The rewriting of Scholes is weird, and lots of people are jumping on the bandwagon. He wasn't considered world class at the time. 

Gerrard better than Scholes IMO.

Read Peter Crouch’s book. Mostly light heated but his final chapter is on Gerrard. Best player he ever played with. Talks about first encounter with him as a youth team player and also playing with him. He could do everything, run, pass tackle shoot. He dragged average Liverpool sides to honours they wouldn’t have had without him.

Scholes played at Ibrox towards the end of his career and put in one of the best performances I’ve ever seen. Everything about him that night oozed class and control. He was an absolutely superb player. For some reason he didn’t really get recognition early in his career, probably because both England and Man U had flashier players however, and forgive me for sounding a bit Parklife here, anyone that knows anything about football, can see he was one of the best midfielders of his generation. 

3 hours ago, EddardStark said:

I would definitely retain Gerrard for another season. There will be a few departures though on the playing front. 

There's no denying his record in Europe is excellent but do you really trust the management team to make summer signings that can make Rangers compete with Celtic. 

Gerrard has signed around 20-30 players, how many are good enough to make Celtic's first team or even bench.

Rangers recruitment is terrible. If Brandon Barker is really on 14 grand a week, then I don't think that many will be 'off loaded.