Gerrard - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Some short memories on here re Gerrards playing career. Could play right back, centre mid, off the main striker. You could put him centre half and he'd still be the best player. Win a game in an instant, easily world class. Scored in world cups, countless champions league games and helped dragged his club to 2 finals.

The Rangers job, though an opportunity he felt he probably couldnt turn down, was/is a no win situation and a mistake in my opinion.

24 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

I’m reading Rangers fans had a round of applause on the 8th minute to show support for β€˜Stevie G’ πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Surely not πŸ™ˆ

I bet they’re not fucking clapping him now.Β 

3 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Always thought Gerrard was never as good as the hype both he and the English media bought into. Pretty sure the only β€˜big’ team that tried to sign him was Chelsea during the period they were spunking money all of the place. A good player for sure but never World Class. I always felt he was at his peak when Alonso was playing alongside him.Β 

Bang on, Xabi Alonso was miles better.Β Β 

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

I’m reading Rangers fans had a round of applause on the 8th minute to show support for β€˜Stevie G’ πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Surely not πŸ™ˆ

Nah - that was for the number of years they've been in existence.

6 hours ago, Farcity said:

Well they rewarded his "loyalty" with an extra 40k a week, might have influenced him a wee bit.Β 

Okay, why do you think he would put in a transfer request then?Β 

Not sure, I forgot he put it in to be honest. I didn’t think saying he was loyal to Liverpool would generate much discussion ha!

5 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Always thought Gerrard was never as good as the hype both he and the English media bought into. Pretty sure the only β€˜big’ team that tried to sign him was Chelsea during the period they were spunking money all of the place. A good player for sure but never World Class. I always felt he was at his peak when Alonso was playing alongside him.Β 

Think they complimented each other really well.Β 

Overhyped by the English media is a fair comment but was still world class for a time, given the other players who’ve been labeled world classΒ Β 

10 hours ago, JECK said:

Some short memories on here re Gerrards playing career. Could play right back, centre mid, off the main striker. You could put him centre half and he'd still be the best player. Win a game in an instant, easily world class. Scored in world cups, countless champions league games and helped dragged his club to 2 finals.

The Rangers job, though an opportunity he felt he probably couldnt turn down, was/is a no win situation and a mistake in my opinion.

Lost a league for his club, sent off within seconds of coming on, almost ended Naysmiths career, wanted to engineer a move away from his boyhood club, battered folk in pubs with his hangers on (twice).

Β 

11 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Lost a league for his club, sent off within seconds of coming on, almost ended Naysmiths career, wanted to engineer a move away from his boyhood club, battered folk in pubs with his hangers on (twice).

Β 

Which is exactly why he is a wanker

11 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Β 

I don’t think he’s necessarily the great guy he’s made out to be, but a guy I’d have in my team every day of the week.

His role in Istanbul and β€œhis” FA cup final are great examples of what he had/could do.

I can't help but think that if this was any other Rangers manager who had lost top the bottom of the league side in the league, then lost to the bottom of the league side in the cup and then lost to the bottom of the league side at home in the league in the space of a few weeks then he would be out the door ASAP.Β Β 

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Β 

Ha, pretty much all irrelevant to him being a world class player then.Β 

Out of the three top English midfielders of his generation (Gerrard, Lampard & Scholes) - I would have Scholes in my team always before the other two.(even allowing for his two goals against us at Hampden )

Edited by glasgow jock

2 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Out of the three top English midfielders of his generation (Gerrard, Lampard & Scholes) - I would have Scholes in my team always before the other two.(even allowing for his two goals against us at Hampden )

Absolutely, Scholes was better than Gerrard, both were miles ahead of the batter the ba and hope for a deflection Lampard though.

25 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Is it true that he and his mates battered a pub DJ who refused to play any Phil Collins records ?Β :wtf:

I didn’t know the Phil Collins bit. πŸ˜‚

Mustve been something in the air?

Fit right in with fans that smashed up a city centre β€˜cos they switched off their Telly.... 😜

3 hours ago, JECK said:

Ha, pretty much all irrelevant to him being a world class player then.Β 

Thankfully England tried to shoe horn himΒ  and Lampard into a side which had actual world class playerΒ in Scholes, much to their detriment.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

Ah this old argument, what ever your definition of world class is, all 3 were world class at certain points in there career, of that i am certain. Lampard and Scholes were amongst better squads of players (and managers for that matter) overall helping there careers more than Gerrards, of that there is no doubt. One look at Liverpools 04/05 ECL team shows that. Scholes widely regarded as the best, entirely reasonable. My argument would be could Lampard and Scholes affect the Liverpool teams Gerrard played in as much as Gerrard did. Could they play in almost any position and still be the best player, he was far and away far more adaptable than the other 2.

Its all irrevlant thought, wee Gilmour will be better than them all πŸ˜‰