Fasting - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Thats brilliant :ok:

Watching another video the that talks about a study they did years ago. 

2 groups, one didn’t eat at all and the other eat a 1000 calories a day.

The group that didn’t eat didn’t lose much muscle but lost significant amounts of body fat.

The calorie restriction group lost more muscle mass and developed intense food cravings and behaviours associated with starvation. 

Interesting vid, PIAK.

I did a month - before went on holiday and plan to start it again from next week - of fasting doing various 12, 14, 16 hours. I didn't weigh myself so I don't know if I lost weight but I certainly felt a lot better mentally and physically, my running improved. No idea if it is a 'placebo' effect or it does help ; but certainly felt clearer in the head.

I'm trying to cut back on bread and carbs in general. Not take them out completely, but to limit bread - to a decent bakery bread once a week - and more fruit, veg, fish type diet.

A bit clichéd etc but everything in moderation is the answer. There's so much shite out there though and its not by chance that the sweeties and keek on offer is right at the till. Best bet is to go shopping or order your shopping after a huge meal so you don't order or buy tons of bad stuff.

The hardest part is the first few days and the sugar craving ; but once that's over after 3 days or so ; you'll feel a lot better - clarity, generally happier and quicker.

On 9/15/2019 at 4:25 AM, ParisInAKilt said:

This is pretty fascinating. 

I haven't had the chance to watch this but I doubt fasting is for me. The only time I have been deprived of food was prior to going in for a colonoscopy a few years ago and could not eat anything  the day before the operation.

I was delirious with hunger and dreamt I was being strangled by my bowel,  I felt absolutely  dreadful the next day.

29 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I haven't had the chance to watch this but I doubt fasting is for me. The only time I have been deprived of food was prior to going in for a colonoscopy a few years ago and could not eat anything  the day before the operation.

I was delirious with hunger and dreamt I was being strangled by my bowel,  I felt absolutely  dreadful the next day.

I'm guessing that a lot of others replying to this thread haven't watched it either. The fasting that they are talking about in the video isn't just for a few hours. What they are talking about is no food at all for 10 to 21 days. One guy is working on a system which allows a small amount of specific food types to be taken daily to be kind of similar to the starvation effect. 

Sounds promising for certain situations. More studies required.

This video isn't about weight loss. That just happens to be a side effect of the treatment.

Edited by Orraloon

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I'm guessing that a lot of others replying to this thread haven't watched it either. The fasting that they are talking about in the video isn't just for a few hours. What they are talking about is no food at all for 10 to 21 days. One guy is working on a system which allows a small amount of specific food types to be taken daily to be kind of similar to the starvation effect. 

Sounds promising for certain situations. More studies required.

This video isn't about weight loss. That just happens to be a side effect of the treatment.

10-21 days ???? Wtf. I shall have to watch this , I am intrigued to find out what benefits there are .  

The video is worth a watch. It's early days yet and not many studies have been done. But it does make sense. But just because it seems to work for some folk in some situations doesn't mean it will be beneficial for everybody. Much more wore work needs to be done. But these folk are proper scientists, not just a bunch of cranks like some of the folk that PAIK sometimes references.;)

I’ve got to be honest, I’m highly sceptical of this. I just don’t think the human body is meant to go without food. It goes without saying that depriving yourself of food will cause you to lose weight but, from an evolutionary perspective, that’s brought about by your bodies internal mechanisms for coping with food not being available. 

I don’t pretend to know the science of this but I just struggle to accept that it can actually be healthy to starve. 

I might be wrong but it seems very counter-intuitive to me. 

4 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I’ve got to be honest, I’m highly sceptical of this. I just don’t think the human body is meant to go without food. It goes without saying that depriving yourself of food will cause you to lose weight but, from an evolutionary perspective, that’s brought about by your bodies internal mechanisms for coping with food not being available. 

I don’t pretend to know the science of this but I just struggle to accept that it can actually be healthy to starve. 

I'd say we adapted to go without food for long periods as we were a pursuit predator.

I have a recollection of reading about less calories actually increased life span, The study in fruit flies and mice showed calorie restriction (as opposed to fasting) increased life expectancy but if i recall correctly that was due to a reduction in cancer and other life ending diseased.

They did a study on Rhesus monkeys too.

https://www.nia.nih.gov/news/calorie-restriction-improves-health-survival-rhesus-monkeys

I don't think the science is well established yet, a couple of decent studies but not much funding for anything else.

Aye, that would probably be most people's first reaction. But if you think about it a bit deeper it's actually the opposite way round. In evolutionary timescales we have only learnt to provide ourselves with a constant supply of food for a very short period of time. You could argue that our systems haven't had enough time to evolve a mechanism to cope with having a constant food supply. We have had even less time to evolve to cope with pumping sugars into our systems by the bucket load.

36 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, that would probably be most people's first reaction. But if you think about it a bit deeper it's actually the opposite way round. In evolutionary timescales we have only learnt to provide ourselves with a constant supply of food for a very short period of time. You could argue that our systems haven't had enough time to evolve a mechanism to cope with having a constant food supply. We have had even less time to evolve to cope with pumping sugars into our systems by the bucket load.

I sense a Hazda moment coming along.  " The Hadza, as I discovered, prize honey above all else in their diet. Hadza mothers wean their young on liquid honey, and during the wet season, particularly the months of February and April, Hadza families gorge for weeks on its sticky sweetness.  The men possess an expert knowledge of bees and bee behavior, giving the honeys produced by different species different names. Those who forage for honey figure prominently in Hadza mythology. "

image.png.0c83445e88d48d5e4854afb93b488213.png

Honey yummy.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

But surely that would be because we weren't meant to go without food & therefore developed protective strategies (those of us better able to cope lived longer, reproduced, etc.; the rest snuffed it)...that's not the same thing as saying we were only meant to eat sporadically or that it's good for us not to eat.

But surely that would be because we weren't meant to go without food & therefore developed protective strategies (those of us better able to cope lived longer, reproduced, etc.; the rest snuffed it)...that's not the same thing as saying we were only meant to eat sporadically or that it's good for us not to eat.

I'm not sure where this "meant to" bit comes in?

Did you watch the video? They don't say that it is good for us not to eat. That isn't what is being suggested at all.

I’m attempting a 7 day fast, half way through day 4 now. Day 2 was the worst for hunger, but was less intense day 3 and now I only occasionally feel hungry. Probably not an ideal week to do it, shifts all over the place in work so my sleep hasn’t been great and now driving long distances over the next few days. 

Not doing it for weight loss but it’s inevitable that I’ll lose water weight and some body fat. 

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I'm not sure where this "meant to" bit comes in?

Did you watch the video? They don't say that it is good for us not to eat. That isn't what is being suggested at all.

It's just a turn of phrase really - I was trying to avoid 'designed' to 🙂

I understand fasting isn't about not eating per se...I think I just intuitively think that going for extended periods without food isn't in our bodies' best interests. I can accept that it might be a better alternative than shoving crap down us though!

I am probably skewed a bit by the fact my diet is all over the place anyway at the moment on the back of having had a lifetime of being a greedy b@@tard.