Cameron speaks out - Politics - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cameron speaks out

Hertsscot

I see a former PM is been looking for public sympathy and trying to place blame for the Brexit chaos on Gove and Johnson.  I don't buy this special pleading, he didn't need to give into the demands of the Tory right and even if he did go ahead with the referendum he could have insisted that there was 'the quadruple lock' as was being recommended at the time by the SNP.  Disingenuous Dave, very disingenuous..

On 9/14/2019 at 10:59 AM, Hertsscot said:

I see a former PM is been looking for public sympathy and trying to place blame for the Brexit chaos on Gove and Johnson.  I don't buy this special pleading, he didn't need to give into the demands of the Tory right and even if he did go ahead with the referendum he could have insisted that there was 'the quadruple lock' as was being recommended at the time by the SNP.  Disingenuous Dave, very disingenuous..

Calling a referendum was not the problem, but take your pick from

- a question that didn't specify what leave meant 

- no plan for Leave

- complacent,  better together-like campaign, that didn't take account that this time he couldn't rely on sycophantic one sided press backing, a vocal Queen, lack of votes for EU nationals and 16-17 Yr olds

- failure to get any meaningful concessions out of the EU (also a EU failure not to give more) 

- promise that brexit would be implemented and article 50 triggered immediately (then reneging on it) 

- as you say, failing to grasp the quadruple lock...