Uninvited Guests - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Uninvited Guests

That's three times now in the last ten days that I've had relatives turn up completely unannounced and uninvited at the hoose.

They .......

• Invited themselves in.
  • Planted their arses firmly on the sofa and would not budge.
  • Ate all the biscuits.
  • Talked complete and utter boring, skull numbing shite for between two hours (minimum) and four hours (maximum).
  • Did not pick up any of my many subtle hints that maybe it was time to leave.
  • Repeatedly kept asking what my plans for later were and what I was having to eat - clearly angling for an invitation to stay to dinner.

:banghead: :banghead::banghead:

And before anyone says anything, these were not lonely old relatives looking for a bit of company. Oh no. These particular time-wasters were married couples aged between 28 and 49 FFS.

Anyone else have folks like this or is it just me ?

What do you try and do to get out of it ? 

26 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That's three times now in the last ten days that I've had relatives turn up completely unannounced and uninvited at the hoose.

They .......

• Invited themselves in.
  • Ate all the biscuits.
  • Talked complete and utter boring, skull numbing shite for between two hours (minimum) and four hours (maximum).
  • Repeatedly kept asking what my plans for later were and what I was having to eat - clearly angling for an invitation to stay to dinner.

And before anyone says anything, these were not lonely old relatives looking for a bit of company. Oh no. These particular time-wasters were married couples aged between 28 and 49 FFS.

Every new year I can remember.....

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

They .......

• Invited themselves in.
  • Ate all the biscuits.

Well there's your first mistake. Dinnae offer them!

But i'm struggling to understand the problem. Do you not get on with them?

Are they really that insufferable? Why exactly?

There's no excuse for anyone turning up at your door unannounced in 2019, my rule is just don't answer the door unless you're expecting someone (although  that now proves more difficult now that my son has started school and loads of neighbourhood kids keep coming in for him to go out an play mind you lol)

On the other hand, just be glad you have relatives that want to come and see you. Outside of my partner, kids and mum I have none now and it's really shit tbh.

13 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

They .......

• Invited themselves in.
  • Ate all the biscuits.

My daughter has a flat with her boyfriend and she comes to us for her dinner once a week when he is playing football because she cant cook.  

I walked in the door the other night after work to the smell of burnt toast. She is a teacher and was marking homework in the kitchen. She finished the toast and I made her a cup of tea , she had 2 chocolate biscuits with it. I then made her dinner.  Pork chops , salad, coleslaw and crispy potato slices. 

When she left ( with 2 pizzas and a 12 pack of coke from the fridge) I sat down to watch Mind Hunter. I asked Mr Tidy if he would bring me the family bag of galaxy counters from the sweetie drawer. 

He couldn't find them so I went through to look myself. Nothing. I went out to my car with a torch as I had bought them in Morrisons the previous night and thought they may have fallen out the bag. Nothing.

Went back to the kitchen and reluctantly made do with a Flake. Texted my daughter about something later, still moaning about the missing galaxy counters. She said ‘ I ate them whilst I was marking before you came home ‘. 

😡 

Anyway, stop pretending you are popular and fun to be with. You started this thread on a Friday night clearly having nothing better to do like the rest of us 😊

guess it's an aberdeenshire thing

normally my mother (she's 82 ) gets following arriving un-anounced

Friends

Family

Salesmen

Typically all of who will get offered lunch/dinner if they arrive around that time (had to share my food back in the day)

Lorry drivers as well who are dropping off loads, will also get offered tea/biscuits lunch/soup

I rock up without phoning - I only phone relatives to make sure they are not out 

4 hours ago, euan2020 said:

guess it's an aberdeenshire thing

normally my mother (she's 82 ) gets following arriving un-anounced

Friends

Family

Salesmen

Typically all of who will get offered lunch/dinner if they arrive around that time (had to share my food back in the day)

Lorry drivers as well who are dropping off loads, will also get offered tea/biscuits lunch/soup

I rock up without phoning - I only phone relatives to make sure they are not out 

See, now your mammy sounds exactly like my granny used to be (god rest her soul). What a treasure! :ok:

3 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Get it right you! It’s ‘anchorman’.

😏

well-that-escalated-quickly-quick-meme-com-19310781.png.1ee48eb32001559e3cc1d8af1df2a012.png

27 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

See, now your mammy sounds exactly like my granny used to be (god rest her soul). What a treasure! :ok:

well-that-escalated-quickly-quick-meme-com-19310781.png.1ee48eb32001559e3cc1d8af1df2a012.png

see enjoys cooking for folk - just had a 2nd knee operation, so up and down stair on a 3 storey house like a rat up a drain pipe
+ it's a farm so more people coming and going

typically my brother gets his breakfast/lunch there every day  

23 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

What’s a house phone?

It was a pre internet telecommunication device. Infact it was the first form of communication that allowed you to tell cheeky bastards to fuck off,  without fear of getting your head kicked in .