Gilmour - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gilmour

Squirrelhumper

1 hour ago, slasher said:

This lad has played about 20 minutes of senior fitba, give him a break ffs. Of course I hope he'll be a star and lead us to a tournament soon but he could just as easily be the next John Fleck. 🙄

Fleck will be in the next squad... 

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

He'll be Scotland captain by time he is 21.

I hope you're right Humper, but we've heard it all before about a succession of 'great young talents'. Let's at least wait till he's playing regular first team football before he's branded the new McStay, Fergie or whatever. 

Just now, slasher said:

I hope you're right Humper, but we've heard it all before about a succession of 'great young talents'. Let's at least wait till he's playing regular first team football before he's branded the new McStay, Fergie or whatever. 

To be fair, I've been fairly consistent in my appraisal of him for the past few years.

I said he'd make his Chelsea debut this season (he has), he's in the Chelsea Champion League squad and knowing how grounded he/his family are then I'm confident he'll not let success derail his drive/ambition.

Funnily enough the other young player that has made a move to a massive club and looks to have a great future is Liam Morrison who just signed for Bayern.

Both he and Billy grew up less than a mile apart and pretty sure their dad's played football together growing up!

Small world, even smaller is the fact the national team both grew up in exact same place!

33 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

To be fair, I've been fairly consistent in my appraisal of him for the past few years.

I said he'd make his Chelsea debut this season (he has), he's in the Chelsea Champion League squad and knowing how grounded he/his family are then I'm confident he'll not let success derail his drive/ambition.

Funnily enough the other young player that has made a move to a massive club and looks to have a great future is Liam Morrison who just signed for Bayern.

Both he and Billy grew up less than a mile apart and pretty sure their dad's played football together growing up!

Small world, even smaller is the fact the national team both grew up in exact same place!

We've had plenty of false dawns in the past. But even back then the "promising" youngsters were just being linked with big teams. With the exception of Feruz and Gauld, I don't really think any of our prodigies actually moved to big teams. And Gilmour has already achieved more than Feruz did at Chelsea.

Morrison at Bayern is a huge move, even if he does end up going to a "lesser" team it won't exactly be a failure not making it in 1 of the top 10 teams in the world. 

3 or 4 years down the line, it'll be interesting to see what happens with those 2, plus seeing how McTominay et al progress

6 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

As good as it sounds, remember Feruz was offered a new deal when we all thought his career was fucked. I'm not getting excited just yet, but good luck to the lad

Feruz was nowhere near the first team, not even remotely nevermind being in the CL squad and making his debut in the EPL at 18.

Feruz wasn't captaining Scotland 21s aged 17.

Feruz was a total rocket.

Only comparable thing is the fact they both played for Chelsea.

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Why does this board always throw in these caveats? Bayern signed him and he’s every chance of playing for them. 

I was just covering my back, knowing the negativity from some on this forum. I do have every faith in Morrison. They wouldn't have signed him if he wasn't showing the ability to make it to the first team.

By the time he does break through, I'd like to think he'll be alongside a more experienced McKenna to create a solid partnership.

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Why does this board always throw in these caveats? Bayern signed him and he’s every chance of playing for them. 

That's easy.

Certain people do actually revel in failure (it allows them to rant and pontificate) and love to say "I told you so".

27 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I was just covering my back, knowing the negativity from some on this forum. I do have every faith in Morrison. They wouldn't have signed him if he wasn't showing the ability to make it to the first team.

By the time he does break through, I'd like to think he'll be alongside a more experienced McKenna to create a solid partnership.

I reckon Morrison’s teammate at international level might have something to say about that..... Leon King is a fantastic talent too.....plus Porteous arguably has more ability and leadership qualities than McKenna

18 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

I reckon Morrison’s teammate at international level might have something to say about that..... Leon King is a fantastic talent too.....plus Porteous arguably has more ability and leadership qualities than McKenna

I like what I've seen of Porteous in action for Hibs but am worried that he seems rather injury prone.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Feruz was nowhere near the first team, not even remotely nevermind being in the CL squad and making his debut in the EPL at 18.

Feruz wasn't captaining Scotland 21s aged 17.

Feruz was a total rocket.

Only comparable thing is the fact they both played for Chelsea.

This 

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Plus he’s 16 and most don’t make it. Sorry.

Agree with this.

How many 16yr olds have Bayern signed, and how many have played for the first team? You're talking a tiny fraction.

Sorry, but the odds are still against him making the 1st team. That's why the caveats are put in. It's just realism.

7 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Agree with this.

How many 16yr olds have Bayern signed, and how many have played for the first team? You're talking a tiny fraction.

Sorry, but the odds are still against him making the 1st team. That's why the caveats are put in. It's just realism.

Yes but how many Scottish 16 year olds have Bayern signed? 

It’s good to get excited and root for his success.