Performance schools under threat - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Performance schools under threat

er yir macaroon

There is a lot of Twitter talk that the Performance Schools are to be reviewed with a view  to cuttings costs, possibly involving closing them all together. This would be an absolute disaster.

The oldest player to come through the system is 19, and recent first team results have nothing to do with these schools. Young skilful players (not the usual over sized thugs of previous eras) have been consistently beating the big nations at youth level using possession football. Scrapping them would be throwing in the towel. This is huge and I would advise people who don't know much about these schools to get clued up on them. The programme involves hours of extra practice on technique and that's why these boys can keep the ball off Spain. 

21 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

There is a lot of Twitter talk that the Performance Schools are to be reviewed with a view  to cuttings costs, possibly involving closing them all together. This would be an absolute disaster.

The oldest player to come through the system is 19, and recent first team results have nothing to do with these schools. Young skilful players (not the usual over sized thugs of previous eras) have been consistently beating the big nations at youth level using possession football. Scrapping them would be throwing in the towel. This is huge and I would advise people who don't know much about these schools to get clued up on them. The programme involves hours of extra practice on technique and that's why these boys can keep the ball off Spain. 

Belgium have performance schools and half their team on Monday came through them.

Can't believe that we're going to change horses midstream again.  Surely not.

And surely it's not money that is the motivating factor?  They cost £700,000 a year apparently, less than the average Celtic first team players wages.

Wouldn't it be funny if they scrapped the schools and then it turns out in three years time that the boys who came through them we're starting to appear in the national team?  Ooops!

It also seems incredibly unfair to the children and parents who have invested in the system.  What if you were a third year and suddenly told that the high school programme you'd committed your child's future to was being halted?

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Would Billy Gilmour be the first PS Pupil to get a full cap if h was to be called up?

He went to the Grange in Killie but I know Killie also have their own performance school type system now where their youth players go to Kilmarnock Academy.

In the latest u21 squad, only Gilmour and Stephen Kelly are noted as performance school graduates.

The u19s squad that faced Japan had 10 of 18.  Of the 8 that weren't, 5 are with English clubs but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with anything.

I don't thunk a review is a bad thing but getting rid of the schools seems very short-sighted. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Would Billy Gilmour be the first PS Pupil to get a full cap if h was to be called up?

He went to the Grange in Killie but I know Killie also have their own performance school type system now where their youth players go to Kilmarnock Academy.

Must be a few in the U-21s?

I’m not sure, but I’d guess some of the boys at Motherwell went to Braidhurst? Campbell, Scott, Turnbull...

Turnbull the only one likely to trouble the full team any time soon.

27 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

In the latest u21 squad, only Gilmour and Stephen Kelly are noted as performance school graduates.

The u19s squad that faced Japan had 10 of 18.  Of the 8 that weren't, 5 are with English clubs but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with anything.

I don't thunk a review is a bad thing but getting rid of the schools seems very short-sighted. 

As I say the oldest graduate is 19 so that explains why there are fewer in the 21s. 

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Excuse my ignorance on the subject but where are these schools or are they part of existing high schools. How many of them are there?

Hazlehead Academy – Aberdeen.

St John's RC High School – Dundee.

Broughton High School – Edinburgh.

Graeme High School – Falkirk.

Holyrood Secondary School – Glasgow.

Grange Academy – Kilmarnock.

Braidhurst High School – Motherwell.

18 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Hazlehead Academy – Aberdeen.

St John's RC High School – Dundee.

Broughton High School – Edinburgh.

Graeme High School – Falkirk.

Holyrood Secondary School – Glasgow.

Grange Academy – Kilmarnock.

Braidhurst High School – Motherwell.

Cheers for that, it would be a bit silly to cut it short after this length of time. It would be worth it just to see out a few more years just to see if it has a positive effect on the senior team. 

It seems that the SPFL have maybe infiltrated the SFA board and the clubs just want to do their own thing for youth development and the SFA shouldn’t have anything to do with it.   That’s a horrible idea.  Leaving it to the clubs and their narrow self interests will see half of them drop it altogether.   Clubs are notoriously short-sighted and self-interested. 

I’d scrap pro-youth if anything.  

44 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

A great article and bang on the money.  Handing this cash to the clubs would be a disaster.

The SPFL's intent to develop Scottish youth is dubious. Our Premiership clubs and even into the Championship, are able to field teams with little or no Scots in them.

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

A great article and bang on the money.  Handing this cash to the clubs would be a disaster.

The SPFL's intent to develop Scottish youth is dubious. Our Premiership clubs and even into the Championship, are able to field teams with little or no Scots in them.

The spfl teams have nil desire to develop youth

On 9/12/2019 at 2:30 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Cheers for that, it would be a bit silly to cut it short after this length of time. It would be worth it just to see out a few more years just to see if it has a positive effect on the senior team. 

It been given even half the time

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

The spfl teams have nil desire to develop youth

Absolutely this. I mentioned on another thread it will take something like the imposition of a ruling requiring all SPFL sides to have a minimum of 4 or 5 Scots in their starting XI for any real difference to be made. And of course the chances of that happening are minimal. 

2 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Says it all, and probably the best Scottish football journalist out there. 

I actually didn't realise just how many players had come through the performance schools in such a short space of time. It is literally like a conveyor belt of talent which starts with Billy Gilmour at the top and filters all the way down the levels in Scotland. These schools have to be given another 5 years at least to see what sort of players we end up with. The amount of players being snapped up by top clubs after they are finished at the performance school is great and that is exactly where they need to go, straight to some of the best academy's out there. That is the only way we will ever develop top top level players as the academy's we have in Scotland are nowhere near it absolutely nowhere near it. Clubs in Scotland produce exactly the calibre of player we are seeing play for Scotland right now, if the clubs don't aspire to raise their standards then our young players, like Billy Gilmour have to raise their own standards and aspire to be the best by moving down south. Even in Billy's own words he said at Rangers, he had to aspire to be the best at the club, at Chelsea he has to aspire to be the best in the world.