Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bazmidd

Best of the U21s

Recommended Posts

We seem to have our best batch of U21s for quite some time, that aligned with the glaring deficiencies in some key positions in the senior squad could we see some of our starlets promoted to the seniors soon. Which players from the U21s are we most excited by, and who could potentially improve our squad in the not to distant future? We are crying out for centre half's, a right full back, anchor man, a striker and above all else winners. Anyone on here watch any of these young lads on a more regular basis for their clubs and are any capable of making the step up anytime soon? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bazmidd said:

We seem to have our best batch of U21s for quite some time, that aligned with the glaring deficiencies in some key positions in the senior squad could we see some of our starlets promoted to the seniors soon. Which players from the U21s are we most excited by, and who could potentially improve our squad in the not to distant future? We are crying out for centre half's, a right full back, anchor man, a striker and above all else winners. Anyone on here watch any of these young lads on a more regular basis for their clubs and are any capable of making the step up anytime soon? 

It's funny before the last round of qualifiers we all suggested that at least one or two under 21's should be brought along to find out about the international set up.

Not sure were I read it, or if it is reliable, but Clarke has as good as said he is going to stick with established players for the remainder of the campaign.

So if we qualify we will be playing the same old faces and before we know it all these youngsters will be expected to step up when a year older to the fringes of the national team.

Should have a first team squad of 16 and make up the rest from the selections on this thread. Should be pretty easy to replace half a dozen of the last squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's funny before the last round of qualifiers we all suggested that at least one or two under 21's should be brought along to find out about the international set up.

Not sure were I read it, or if it is reliable, but Clarke has as good as said he is going to stick with established players for the remainder of the campaign.

So if we qualify we will be playing the same old faces and before we know it all these youngsters will be expected to step up when a year older to the fringes of the national team.

Should have a first team squad of 16 and make up the rest from the selections on this thread. Should be pretty easy to replace half a dozen of the last squad.

It has always been strange how little we integrate our U21s into the senior squad. Like you say even just integrating them into the squad to familiarise them with how things are at senior level. The likes of Wales do this to great effect. The young lads may also show up well in training and actually make a match day squad. There is definitely a lot of talent in the U21s just now and aome wouldn't look out of place in the seniors, with a couple having the talent to go very far in the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll also get the ball rolling on that squad selection suggestion by replacing Stephen O'Donnell with Ross McCrorie. He seems to play beyond his years McCrorie. Played right back last night and played very well, maybe a future there, but could also do a job as an anchor man for us. Seems to have a good mentality as well. I think there was a stat going about last season regarding the amount of games Rangers won with him in the side was a very high percentage. Think they only conceded one goal or something as well to Rapid Vienna in the games he played. Maybe some Gers fans got an opinion on him as a player? 

Edited by bazmidd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McRorie and Hornby are two that would make the team better immediately, and Gilmour probably in the next six months.

Robbie McRorie, Porteous, Ferguson, Johnston, McLellan, Magennis, Middleton, Turnbull and Rudden will come into contention. I still expect Harry Cochrane to make an impact although I’m not sure what’s happening with him. Euan Henderson at Celtic looks to be another. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was it Middleton that set up the first goal? Absolutely fantastic run. Top class.

Also, was shocked by Hornby's pace. Didn't know that was in his locker. Height and pace are an incredible asset for a counter attacking team.

Positive stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

We seem to have our best batch of U21s for quite some time, that aligned with the glaring deficiencies in some key positions in the senior squad could we see some of our starlets promoted to the seniors soon. Which players from the U21s are we most excited by, and who could potentially improve our squad in the not to distant future? We are crying out for centre half's, a right full back, anchor man, a striker and above all else winners. Anyone on here watch any of these young lads on a more regular basis for their clubs and are any capable of making the step up anytime soon? 

While I agree there is some decent players at that age you wouldn't of thought so by the performance, I turned off after 20mins as Scotland were that bad at even the basics. As for players that might or I would like to make it, porteous and Johnston would be obvious choices given our centre back problems. McLennan took his goals well and I have always been Impressed by him. Hard to tell wether he can go up in level from the spl. Time will tell. Hornby has a good record at this age group so hopefully he can make the step up and do well in his loan spell in Belgium. Most will not make the step up, if we get one or two really good players at epl level I would be happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

McRorie and Hornby are two that would make the team better immediately, and Gilmour probably in the next six months.

Robbie McRorie, Porteous, Ferguson, Johnston, McLellan, Magennis, Middleton, Turnbull and Rudden will come into contention. I still expect Harry Cochrane to make an impact although I’m not sure what’s happening with him. Euan Henderson at Celtic looks to be another. 

Really hope Hornby has a good loan spell in Belgium. Playing for the team that Christian Benteke started out at it seems so have pedigree for bringing players through. I would agree on him, McCrorie and Gilmour but also think Johnston is the other standout at that level

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

While I agree there is some decent players at that age you wouldn't of thought so by the performance, I turned off after 20mins as Scotland were that bad at even the basics. As for players that might or I would like to make it, porteous and Johnston would be obvious choices given our centre back problems. McLennan took his goals well and I have always been Impressed by him. Hard to tell wether he can go up in level from the spl. Time will tell. Hornby has a good record at this age group so hopefully he can make the step up and do well in his loan spell in Belgium. Most will not make the step up, if we get one or two really good players at epl level I would be happy. 

I agree with you there mate, wrote on another thread how dissapointed I was at the way the team set up for the game having watched previous youth sides play with a freedom and fluency. Although in saying that you can't take anything away from how they defended and nullified the Croatian team who are top seeds

Aside from the goal and having majority of possession they didn't have a great deal of chances which was in due part to the game plan and the assured performance of the defence. Something we sadly lack in the seniors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

It has always been strange how little we integrate our U21s into the senior squad. Like you say even just integrating them into the squad to familiarise them with how things are at senior level. The likes of Wales do this to great effect. The young lads may also show up well in training and actually make a match day squad. There is definitely a lot of talent in the U21s just now and aome wouldn't look out of place in the seniors, with a couple having the talent to go very far in the game. 

But that’s not the Scottish way!

You can’t play young players. You need to be 25 year old nobodies who’ve played 250 games for Kilmarnock or MK Dons and ‘served their time’ before getting a bizarre call up and a run of games where you degrade yourself more each time.

Wales do the opposite to great effect.

What do they know though, they qualify for tournaments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

But that’s not the Scottish way!

You can’t play young players. You need to be 25 year old nobodies who’ve played 250 games for Kilmarnock or MK Dons and ‘served their time’ before getting a bizarre call up and a run of games where you degrade yourself more each time.

Wales do the opposite to great effect.

What do they know though, they qualify for tournaments. 

Tournament 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

But that’s not the Scottish way!

You can’t play young players. You need to be 25 year old nobodies who’ve played 250 games for Kilmarnock or MK Dons and ‘served their time’ before getting a bizarre call up and a run of games where you degrade yourself more each time.

Wales do the opposite to great effect.

What do they know though, they qualify for tournaments. 

I remember hearing Willie Miller on the radio a few years ago saying that he didn't see what was wrong with that approach !

Incredible stupidly and arrogance. Sadly there are a lot of people who agree with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I remember hearing Willie Miller on the radio a few years ago saying that he didn't see what was wrong with that approach !

Incredible stupidly and arrogance. Sadly there are a lot of people who agree with him.

There’s a lot of people on this board who probably think we should stick the same squad!

Madness not to just get in all the young boys now and try a different approach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I remember hearing Willie Miller on the radio a few years ago saying that he didn't see what was wrong with that approach !

Incredible stupidly and arrogance. Sadly there are a lot of people who agree with him.

And just think how many Willie Millers' are at the top of decision making areas within football here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scotland should follow England's example by fast-tracking Chelsea midfielder Billy Gilmour into the senior squad, says Kenny Miller.

Former Scotland striker Miller thinks England showed the way by introducing Gilmour's fellow 18-year-old and club-mate, Callum Hudson-Odoi.

Gilmour made a six-minute Chelsea debut earlier this month.

"I know him really well and I know what the boy's about, I know his abilities," Miller told BBC Scotland.

"Billy Gilmour will be one of the best players in the national team once he gets there, there's no doubt about it."

Miller was at Rangers as Gilmour came through the youth ranks before moving to Stamford Bridge in 2017.

The midfielder has so far been restricted to Scotland Under-21 duty, playing in Thursday's 2-0 win over San Marino before missing Tuesday's fine 2-1 win away to Croatia through injury.

"In days gone by, people said you had to go through the proper steps before becoming a full international," Miller said. "But look at England and what they have done in the last few years.

"Callum Hudson-Odoi started an England game before he had started a Chelsea Premier League match."

Miller recognised that the English winger "is an incredible talent who Bayern Munich are trying to buy for £30-40m" but pointed out that Gilmour had been included in Chelsea's squad for the Champions League group stage.

"I think we could be getting Billy Gilmour in now and there's probably a few others," he said. "I know he's been away with a few camps training and it is a huge step - and especially without first-team football - but we need to get these guys in to progress.

"England can do it. Wales have done it. Can we fast-track him? I also believe you have to have earned that right, but there are exceptions."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gilmour stands out a mile from seeing him in our youth teams and definitely has massive potential, we have ample midfielders playing at a high level though so he may as well be playing for the under-21 team than making up numbers in the senior squad in a lost cause for now, at least til he's played a few games for Chelsea at least.

Johnston has a decent amount of experience and could make an impact off the bench I'd say, definitely a better option than Burke anyway.

Don't understand the big love in for Hornby. He's no first team experience so you have nothing to judge him on, nor was he pulling up any trees for Everton under-23 side. His reputation is based on scoring a few goals against Andorra under-21's and just shows our pitiful desperation that he is seen as the immediate answer to our striking deficiencies

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do need to start getting our younger players more integrated into the senior side, even if it's just 2 or 3 in the squad or training with them for each of the next 4 games.

Personally I'd like to see the likes of Billy Gilmour, Mikey Johnston, Allan Campbell, Ross McCrorie, Connor McClennan & George Johnston given a chance.

The playoffs will probably be too soon for him but hopefully Turnbull can hit the ground running when he comes back from injury in the new year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mcnish said:

Don't understand the big love in for Hornby. He's no first team experience so you have nothing to judge him on, nor was he pulling up any trees for Everton under-23 side. His reputation is based on scoring a few goals against Andorra under-21's and just shows our pitiful desperation that he is seen as the immediate answer to our striking deficiencies

Everton have given the Belgian team the option to buy him, so obviously don't rate him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Everton have given the Belgian team the option to buy him, so obviously don't rate him

I'm sure that option to buy works the same way as McCrories though it is only set in stone if Everton or Rangers choose to sell, basically just gives the Pompey or this Belgian side first chance to sign them should Everton or Rangers choose to sell. Anyway from what I have seen Hornby looks talented, don't think he's a fantastic goal scorer, even though he banged in a few in the last U21 campaign, but he is a great hold up player, great touch and strong also has a bit pace. Good talent better than any young striker we have in the Scottish leagues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lewis Ferguson is another player to watch out for, I don't think he will be at Aberdeen for more than another two years, maybe less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bazmidd said:

It has always been strange how little we integrate our U21s into the senior squad. Like you say even just integrating them into the squad to familiarise them with how things are at senior level. The likes of Wales do this to great effect. The young lads may also show up well in training and actually make a match day squad. There is definitely a lot of talent in the U21s just now and aome wouldn't look out of place in the seniors, with a couple having the talent to go very far in the game. 

I don't agree with this at all. 

In the last campaign we had plenty of the u21s step up to the full squad. Im pretty sure that Bates, McKenna, Souttar, Taylor, Tierney, McTominay, Cadden, Morgan, McBurnie, and Burke all got call-ups whilst still young enough for the u21s. 

I remember talking about how it was one of the factors in our u21s underperforming in a few games last campaign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I don't agree with this at all. 

In the last campaign we had plenty of the u21s step up to the full squad. Im pretty sure that Bates, McKenna, Souttar, Taylor, Tierney, McTominay, Cadden, Morgan, McBurnie, and Burke all got call-ups whilst still young enough for the u21s. 

I remember talking about how it was one of the factors in our u21s underperforming in a few games last campaign. 

I think the point being made is that we would never cap a highly promising 17 year old whereas teams much more successful than us who are better than us and just generally do things differently, always would. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...