Andy Roberston as captain - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Andy Roberston as captain

ceudmilefailte

I said when he was appointed that a fullback was a stupid position to have your captain and now that every one has been blaming Clarke for the poor organisation of the players on the park perhaps Robertson was not the man for the job.

Main reason he got the role was due to the fact that nobody else was sure to start. I think Mulgrew would have done a better job in the qualifiers and now that McTominay looks a certain starter he could work after Mulgrew. More for his position on the park and role in team than actual proof of leadership skills

A lot of people on here seem to be blaming the players for our poor performances, the manager and the captain are between them 100% responsible for their under achievement.  It is up to them to get the best out of what they have available and the last six games is surely not the best we have to offer..

I'm not saying get rid of Clarke but I for one am  already at the point were I am praying that he actually has what it takes. I don't know what contract he has but if we don't qualify for the Euro's he should resign.

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I said when he was appointed that a fullback was a stupid position to have your captain and now that every one has been blaming Clarke for the poor organisation of the players on the park perhaps Robertson was not the man for the job.

Main reason he got the role was due to the fact that nobody else was sure to start. I think Mulgrew would have done a better job in the qualifiers and now that McTominay looks a certain starter he could work after Mulgrew. More for his position on the park and role in team than actual proof of leadership skills

A lot of people on here seem to be blaming the players for our poor performances, the manager and the captain are between them 100% responsible for their under achievement.  It is up to them to get the best out of what they have available and the last six games is surely not the best we have to offer..

I'm not saying get rid of Clarke but I for one am  already at the point were I am praying that he actually has what it takes. I don't know what contract he has but if we don't qualify for the Euro's he should resign.

Hahaha away and stop talking shite.

We’ve been rubbish for years. Blaming Robertson as captain is ridiculous and so is blaming Clarke to a lesser extent.

55 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Hahaha away and stop talking shite.

We’ve been rubbish for years. Blaming Robertson as captain is ridiculous and so is blaming Clarke to a lesser extent.

We have better players than half the countries above us in the rankings.

So your saying we are just shit because we are Scottish.

Forget get the grass roots, old firm, three foreigners rule and all the other excuses for the time being.

We have players with some ability so how do you explain it that we are rubbish as you put it.? Thats  a ? so you are allowed to answer rather than just make a statement with no reasoning as usually do.

Mind you if your saying we should just give up because we are a shite nation full of shite people you are allowed that opinion

57 minutes ago, mcnish said:

Being Captain in football is largely an irrelevance and involves scarcely any responsibility beyond carrying an arm band on your shoulder so there is no logical reason why it should affect Robertson's performance. 

Your probably right, I'm still living in the days of McNeil, Grieg, Bremner Aitkin Souness etc when being a captain meant a lot more than calling heads or tails

15 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

We have better players than half the countries above us in the rankings.

So your saying we are just shit because we are Scottish.

Forget get the grass roots, old firm, three foreigners rule and all the other excuses for the time being.

We have players with some ability so how do you explain it that we are rubbish as you put it.? Thats  a ? so you are allowed to answer rather than just make a statement with no reasoning as usually do.

Mind you if your saying we should just give up because we are a shite nation full of shite people you are allowed that opinion

I keep reading that we have better players than other nations, what’s this based on?

I’m basing the shitness on our inability to produce technically gifted players, unable to qualify and having a terrible domestic league.

Not saying we should give up, but as fans having more realistic expectations might make following the national team less painful. 

12 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Your probably right, I'm still living in the days of McNeil, Grieg, Bremner Aitkin Souness etc when being a captain meant a lot more than calling heads or tails

So it’s not the captains fault we’re Shite then. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

So it’s not the captains fault we’re Shite then. 

McNeil, Grieg, Bremner Aitkin Souness were all captains and I doubt if any of the teams they were involved in would have been  as good with lesser captains

I think we all assume that as we have players playing at a higher level they must be better than ones playing at a lower level

Edited by ceudmilefailte

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think we all assume that as we have players playing at a higher level they must be better than ones playing at a lower level

Essentially this is meaningless though. Happy to give Clarke time to try and elevate our performances but I’m not expecting much. 

Apart from Robertson we don’t have anyone playing at a high level. 

He's never a captain in a million years, sadly we don't really have many leaders.

Dare I say it, we are massively missing a Scott Brown type player.

Remember the Macedonia game when he won that drop ball which led to us scoring? We need that kind of shithouse type behaviour.

The most Scott Brown photo ever.

Image result for scott brown macedonia

Guest ElChris04

Worst captain of my lifetime. No leadership qualities what so ever. He hasn’t been the same player either for Scotland since he got the armband.

Come the next set of matches I’d hope and pray Clarke puts it straight to Robertson and tells him we need a new leader who can handle the weight of the armband. Who that may he I do not know, but it needs to happen for the best interests of Scotland and Robertson himself since he just doesn’t look the same player with it.

Without disagreeing in general terms about Robertson's suitability for the captaincy, I really don't remember him playing much better before he was given the armband. If there has been a decline in his performances then I'd suggest that's been in line with the rest of the team rather than something particular to him.

Edited by wee-toon-red

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's never a captain in a million years, sadly we don't really have many leaders.

Dare I say it, we are massively missing a Scott Brown type player.

Remember the Macedonia game when he won that drop ball which led to us scoring? We need that kind of shithouse type behaviour.

The most Scott Brown photo ever.

He’s a huge miss. 

Him and Allan McGregor I would take back in a heart beat 

Regardless of who's actually captain, we need leaders on the pitch. I look down our team and I don't see a real leader there; probably Charlie Mulgrew would be the best choice out of the most recent squad.

In recent years, we've had players like Scott Brown, Alan Hutton and Alan McGregor who have a mental toughness about them and always give their all - we don't have those sorts of players anymore. Our players are far too nice to and respectful of the opposition; it's hurting us badly.

Guest ElChris04
4 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Regardless of who's actually captain, we need leaders on the pitch. I look down our team and I don't see a real leader there; probably Charlie Mulgrew would be the best choice out of the most recent squad.

In recent years, we've had players like Scott Brown, Alan Hutton and Alan McGregor who have a mental toughness about them and always give their all - we don't have those sorts of players anymore. Our players are far too nice to and respectful of the opposition; it's hurting us badly.

Johnn McGinn or Kieran Tierney are the standouts for captaincy. KT should have had it in the first place. Was captain against the Netherlands and even though we lost 1-0. It was a underserved loss. The game was crying out for Griffiths but KT put in a find shift. As for McGinn he seems a proper leader. I feel him getting the armband would fix the unsettling in our midfield with who to play and who not to.

12 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

Johnn McGinn or Kieran Tierney are the standouts for captaincy. KT should have had it in the first place. Was captain against the Netherlands and even though we lost 1-0. It was a underserved loss. The game was crying out for Griffiths but KT put in a find shift. As for McGinn he seems a proper leader. I feel him getting the armband would fix the unsettling in our midfield with who to play and who not to.

I know I’ll get pelters for this but why not Charlie Adam as captain? He’s a shithouse type player like Scott brown he has years of captain experience and he’s actually 6 months younger than brown.

15 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

A proper leader doesn’t need the armband. 

Making someone captain just to avoid selection headaches sounds a terrible idea, so expect Scotland to do it ...

Guest ElChris04
On 9/13/2019 at 1:46 AM, ParisInAKilt said:

A proper leader doesn’t need the armband. 

Making someone captain just to avoid selection headaches sounds a terrible idea, so expect Scotland to do it ...

Mcginn is a proper leader anyway. He’d have the armband over Robertson any day for me but KT is the standout. Bar that goal against Cyprus. Robbo hasn’t done anything as captain. In fact he’s a shell of a player since getting the armband. It’s time we move on since he’s clearly not fit to be captain.

3 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Mcginn is a proper leader anyway. He’d have the armband over Robertson any day for me but KT is the standout. Bar that goal against Cyprus. Robbo hasn’t done anything as captain. In fact he’s a shell of a player since getting the armband. It’s time we move on since he’s clearly not fit to be captain.

If you change captain on that basis then Steve Clarke gets sacked on that basis.

Neither will happen. 

Guest ElChris04
2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

If you change captain on that basis then Steve Clarke gets sacked on that basis.

Neither will happen. 

Of course it’s sadly unlikely, 

But the reality is, he should have the armband taken off him and giving to someone else. KT or McGinn as mentioned  

Looks half the player he was before. He was a a consistent player under Strachan’s reign. Looks nowhere near that. And that should be the very opposite giving how much he’s progressed in his club career since then. The matter of the fact is he’s unfortunately going to continue to be captain when he isn’t the right man for it.

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

Behave yourself, our problems run far deeper than Robertson and whoever is captain. 

What we gonna do when McGinn is captain and we lose in Cyprus?

12 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

Of course it’s sadly unlikely, 

But the reality is, he should have the armband taken off him and giving to someone else. KT or McGinn as mentioned  

Looks half the player he was before. He was a a consistent player under Strachan’s reign. Looks nowhere near that. And that should be the very opposite giving how much he’s progressed in his club career since then. The matter of the fact is he’s unfortunately going to continue to be captain when he isn’t the right man for it.

How can he give the arm band to KT when he isn't even in the squad?

12 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Neither will happen. 

They sacked McLeish on the basis of one bad result. If they are going to be consistent then they should sack Clarke if we lose to Cyprus or Kazakhstan. I think he will still be there for the playoffs though, unless he decides to walk.