Jock Stein. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jock Stein.

glasgow jock

Tragically passed away 34 years ago today - here is our team that played against Wales that night - got me thinking if any of our current lot would even get into that squad - I can't think of anyone (perhaps Andy Robertson on the bench) ????

Scotland

GK 1 Jim Leighton (Aberdeen)   Substituted off 46'
DF 2 Richard Gough (Dundee United)
DF 3 Maurice Malpas (Dundee United)
DF 4 Roy Aitken (Celtic)    
DF 5 Alex McLeish (Aberdeen) Yellow card 3'
DF 6 Willie Miller (c) (Aberdeen)
MF 7 Steve Nicol (Liverpool)
MF 8 Gordon Strachan (Manchester United)   Substituted off 61'
MF 10 Jim Bett (Aberdeen)  
CF 9 Graeme Sharp (Everton)
CF 11 David Speedie (Chelsea)    
Substitutes:
GK 12 Alan Rough (Hibernian)   Substituted in 46'
DF 14 Paul McStay (Celtic)
MF 16 Davie Cooper (Rangers)   Substituted in 61'
CF 15 Andy Gray (Aston Villa)
Manager: Jock Stein

15 hours ago, aaid said:

Let's not forget how utterly rank Graeme Sharp was for Scotland.

Aye he was indeed - think our better forwards at the time must have been injured, Charlie Nicholas (who should have been an all time great for us), Mo Johnstone, Frank McAvenie etc, who where way better than Sharp & Speedie

3 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

Aye he was indeed - think our better forwards at the time must have been injured, Charlie Nicholas (who should have been an all time great for us), Mo Johnstone, Frank McAvenie etc, who where way better than Sharp & Speedie

Nicholas was basically being a waster at Arsenal at that time.  McAvennie had only just moved to West Ham, Mo Johnston was only just breaking into the Scotland team, so for both of them, their peak years were still to come.

Stein's preference at this time was for Sharp - who was leading the line for a very good Everton side and the equally unimpressive Steve Archibald.   Both these guys did well for their clubs but were completely unimpressive for Scotland. 

35 minutes ago, aaid said:

Nicholas was basically being a waster at Arsenal at that time.  McAvennie had only just moved to West Ham, Mo Johnston was only just breaking into the Scotland team, so for both of them, their peak years were still to come.

Stein's preference at this time was for Sharp - who was leading the line for a very good Everton side and the equally unimpressive Steve Archibald.   Both these guys did well for their clubs but were completely unimpressive for Scotland. 

Again I agree - although the year prior to this game (Scotland v Spain WCQF Nov 1984) Mo Johnstone had already been capped and scored twice that night against Spain - oh to have that depth of talent again eh ??

4 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Again I agree - although the year prior to this game (Scotland v Spain WCQF Nov 1984) Mo Johnstone had already been capped and scored twice that night against Spain - oh to have that depth of talent again eh ??

Not going to disagree with your last point although I'd say that if you want to look at a period when we had real world class talent and underachieved, I'd look at the 1960s rather than the 1980s. 

20 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

Tragically passed away 34 years ago today - here is our team that played against Wales that night - got me thinking if any of our current lot would even get into that squad - I can't think of anyone (perhaps Andy Robertson on the bench) ????

Scotland

GK 1 Jim Leighton (Aberdeen)   Substituted off 46'
DF 2 Richard Gough (Dundee United)
DF 3 Maurice Malpas (Dundee United)
DF 4 Roy Aitken (Celtic)    
DF 5 Alex McLeish (Aberdeen) Yellow card 3'
DF 6 Willie Miller (c) (Aberdeen)
MF 7 Steve Nicol (Liverpool)
MF 8 Gordon Strachan (Manchester United)   Substituted off 61'
MF 10 Jim Bett (Aberdeen)  
CF 9 Graeme Sharp (Everton)
CF 11 David Speedie (Chelsea)    
Substitutes:
GK 12 Alan Rough (Hibernian)   Substituted in 46'
DF 14 Paul McStay (Celtic)
MF 16 Davie Cooper (Rangers)   Substituted in 61'
CF 15 Andy Gray (Aston Villa)
Manager: Jock Stein

Look at that bench. 😂 Sums up the quite ridiculous slide. ☹️

50 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Andy Robertson is better than basically everyone in that squad 

He's really not.  He wouldn't have got into that defence.  If Malpas or Gough had been out then Steve Nicol (also a EC winner with Liverpool) would've covered for either with equal effectiveness.

38 minutes ago, daviebee said:

He's really not.  He wouldn't have got into that defence.  If Malpas or Gough had been out then Steve Nicol (also a EC winner with Liverpool) would've covered for either with equal effectiveness.

Malpas was a better player than Robertson has shown so far, IMO. Robertson might become a better player than Malpas but not yet.

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Malpas was a better player than Robertson has shown so far, IMO. Robertson might become a better player than Malpas but not yet.

I forgot that Malpas was coveted by Europe’s top clubs. Oh no wait, he wasn’t.

Malpas was a good player in Scotland and for Scotland but was nothing like a top player. 

Nostalgia is a funny old thing. 

Edited by ProudScot

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Malpas was a good player in Scotland and for Scotland but was nothing like a top player. 

MOTM against a star-studded Roma side in a EC semi-final when barely out of his 20's.  And that was in centre midfield.  In the return leg Italian WC winner Bruno Conti had to switch wings as Malpas didn't give him a kick of the ball.

Aye he was nothing more than average that Malpas.

1 minute ago, daviebee said:

MOTM against a star-studded Roma side in a EC semi-final when barely out of his 20's.  And that was in centre midfield.  In the return leg Italian WC winner Bruno Conti had to switch wings as Malpas didn't give him a kick of the ball.

Aye he was nothing more than average that Malpas.

I said he was good not average. 

19 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

In those days Scottish clubs could hold onto their decent players as the financial gap was not as great as it is now.

These days premiership and championship clubs can pick up SPL stars(Shinnie Armstrong etc) for loose change and stick them on the bench if even that.

Wasn't it a European cup final Malpas would  have played for Dundee Utd in but for a bribed ref