As Faddyversary Approaches on the 12th... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

As Faddyversary Approaches on the 12th...

daviebee

...Where that night in Paris we got about the only thing to cheer that we've had in the last 20 years, here's a sobering thought from last night's match programme...

Back then when we were gearing up for what would ultimately be glorious failure, albeit one hell of a good effort from our team, and the whole country solidly in support...

Belgium were ranked 71st in the world.

Let that sink in.

They'd invested in youth development and built a national football centre using some of the profits from co-hosting the Euros 7 years before that.

That was then and last night was very much the now.  Not sure where we go from here as I'm too busy wallowing in self-pity having bought the season ticket book.

2 hours ago, daviebee said:

...Where that night in Paris we got about the only thing to cheer that we've had in the last 20 years, here's a sobering thought from last night's match programme...

Back then when we were gearing up for what would ultimately be glorious failure, albeit one hell of a good effort from our team, and the whole country solidly in support...

Let that sink in.

They'd invested in youth development and built a national football centre using some of the profits from co-hosting the Euros 7 years before that.

That was then and last night was very much the now.  Not sure where we go from here as I'm too busy wallowing in self-pity having bought the season ticket book.

Difference is Belgium's footballing elite aren't made up of old dinosaurs and diddies that used to run Partick Thstle.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

On 9/10/2019 at 10:23 AM, daviebee said:

Let that sink in.

I agree with you entirely, a real pause for thought. But I would say we've 2 things to cheer in that time. I'll never forget being at the home leg v France, another 1-0 win with a less spectacular goal.

I imagine Belgim has FA members who don't go through life with a 'Och, jist enjoy the blazer, ye get intae loats ae stuff for nothing an ye cannae change anythin anyway because the Old Firm don't waant change.' attitude.