Reflections/Projections. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Reflections/Projections.

marinello

Looking forward - our defense is clearly the worst it has been in decades - 13 goals leaked in 6 games.  So here is something I want to look at.  Without a reliable pairing at central defense we are losing the attacking play of Robertson, so as something to try is either Tierney or Robertson at the left defensive holding midfield.  Tierney can do a duty at right back, but for him we lose forward minded play when he plays on the right, thus all of our attacking movement comes down the left which then like Russia once they contain that threat, we ain't got much else to offer.  Against a San Marino, we can get away with it but not against a mid tier team similar to ourselves( I realize the irony there) .  So that's something I want to try, and I am willing to let Robertson and Tierney alternate.  Right back - I've been reading about Ryan Frederick's, if he want to join, then I would welcome him in open arms, if not, then I would like to try John Souttar at right back who has played there before.   McTominay is still young but I want him to occupy the second holding role - if Tierney or Robbo go forward, we have an excellent left back to slot in, and the one going forward is released more. Griffith is up top for me, but I need game time for McBurnie but not as a starter.  My central pairing would be Scott McKenna with Berra who is left footed.  

Matt Phillips on the right with Ryan Fraser on the left and Christie in the middle.  

I've got height at the back, a potential answer to have Robertson and Tierney on the park and I have experience with Berra and Marshall at the back. 

Just realized McTominay is out of the Russia game so in comes Kenny McLean. 

Edited by romanticscot

Was flicking through all the stuff I have missed over the last few days and found a couple of people in agreement about Marshall not being a very good keeper.

We keep talking about our lack of central defenders but Marshall is well past his sell by date.

It's a lot easier to look like your making  saves if you are leaving yourself in a position that you have to make those saves.

His movement in the box now is almost non existent.

Opportunities will be limited at Celtic now so for me I am going to stick with Marshall as he is getting game time over Bain, Gordon - one of which I expect will go out on loan come January. 

On a quick scan Craig MacGillvary is the only keeper getting regular games right now but he is not playing at a decent enough level for me,  unless due to lack of knowledge he is great and will playing at a higher level before long. 

Edited by romanticscot

13 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Was flicking through all the stuff I have missed over the last few days and found a couple of people in agreement about Marshall not being a very good keeper.

We keep talking about our lack of central defenders but Marshall is well past his sell by date.

It's a lot easier to look like your making  saves if you are leaving yourself in a position that you have to make those saves.

His movement in the box now is almost non existent.

Marshall is a good shot stopper, but I’ve never been a big fan. I don’t think he inspires confidence in the defenders in front of him which will have a knock on effect.

The only better keeper available is McGregor though. (Admittedly I’ve seen McLaughlin once and never seen McGillivray).

Guest ElChris04

Players I hope to see get called up for the next set of games who where not in the last.

Billy Gilmour - As Kenny Miller has said, players of such quality at such a young age need drafted in as early as possible. England done it with Hudson-Odoi, Wales done it with Ampadu. What should be the difference with us? He’s quality. 

Fraser Hornby - Same applies about Gilmour. Looks absolutely quality for the U21, of course this is probably not as likely as Gilmour but if he has a good spell in Belgium he gets called up for me. 

Mikey Johnston - don’t need much explanation with Mikey, wanted him in since the last set of squads but now he’s really started to come on and play week in week out for Celtic and showing his class it’s time for him to get called up. 

Liam Henderson - Plays in Italy. Regular starter for Helles Verona and does a fine job at that in the holding midfield role. Probably even better than all these overhyped EPL players like McTominay, McLean etc. 

Lawrence Shankland - Quality Striker, far to good for the Scottish Championship, it’s time we call him up and give him a deserved call up. There’s not much else he can do at the level he’s playing at because he’s banging then in. 

Craig Halklett - Class defender. Upgrade on Mulgrew, Bates, Devlin. Should have been called up for the set of games there but ahh well... hopefully Clarke calls him up for the next set.

Leigh Griffiths- No explanation needed. Our Rolls Royce of a player. Game changer. Match winner. Best striker we have by light years. Will be leading the front line for the next set of games. 

Kieran Tierney- No explanation needed either. One of the best fullbacks in the world. Will need to be played hopefully at right back. Played 7 games there and he put in a fine job. I’d imagine he’s even more aware there so has improved at the right side with past experience. 

John Souttar - Best CB in Scotland without question for me. Lucky we have him. Easy call up when he’s back match fit.

Scott McKenna - Upgrade on Bates and Devlin. Like Soutter only missed the games through injury, he gets back in.

46 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Players I hope to see get called up for the next set of games who where not in the last.

Billy Gilmour - As Kenny Miller has said, players of such quality at such a young age need drafted in as early as possible. England done it with Hudson-Odoi, Wales done it with Ampadu. What should be the difference with us? He’s quality. 

Fraser Hornby - Same applies about Gilmour. Looks absolutely quality for the U21, of course this is probably not as likely as Gilmour but if he has a good spell in Belgium he gets called up for me. 

Mikey Johnston - don’t need much explanation with Mikey, wanted him in since the last set of squads but now he’s really started to come on and play week in week out for Celtic and showing his class it’s time for him to get called up. 

Liam Henderson - Plays in Italy. Regular starter for Helles Verona and does a fine job at that in the holding midfield role. Probably even better than all these overhyped EPL players like McTominay, McLean etc. 

Lawrence Shankland - Quality Striker, far to good for the Scottish Championship, it’s time we call him up and give him a deserved call up. There’s not much else he can do at the level he’s playing at because he’s banging then in. 

Craig Halklett - Class defender. Upgrade on Mulgrew, Bates, Devlin. Should have been called up for the set of games there but ahh well... hopefully Clarke calls him up for the next set.

Leigh Griffiths- No explanation needed. Our Rolls Royce of a player. Game changer. Match winner. Best striker we have by light years. Will be leading the front line for the next set of games. 

Kieran Tierney- No explanation needed either. One of the best fullbacks in the world. Will need to be played hopefully at right back. Played 7 games there and he put in a fine job. I’d imagine he’s even more aware there so has improved at the right side with past experience. 

John Souttar - Best CB in Scotland without question for me. Lucky we have him. Easy call up when he’s back match fit.

Scott McKenna - Upgrade on Bates and Devlin. Like Soutter only missed the games through injury, he gets back in.

If we're calling up Craig Halkett and Lawrence Shankland we're in even more trouble than we thought

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

If we're calling up Craig Halkett and Lawrence Shankland we're in even more trouble than we thought

Halkett hasn’t started life at Hearts particularly well and Shankland appears to have shat it to have another crack at the premiership or England by signing for Dundee Utd.

Shankland could be one for the future? Griffiths was bouncing about Dundee and Hibs at a similar age...

One thing that I've not seen mentioned elsewhere is just how poor we were at set-pieces.  Being good at corners and free-kicks is a really easy way to give yourself an advantage yet we were rubbish on just about every opportunity we had over the 2 matches.  Against Russia, everything floated into their 'keepers hands.  Belgium got their opener from our corner.  

Should've played in a 5-4-1 formation then adopt it to a 3-5-1-1 when counter attacking. We've leaked stupid goals that's cost us for years especially from being in a winning position (see games against Wales, Russia, Slovakia, and Poland) 

This group is finished as far as I'm concerned, surely we now need to use the remaining games to sort our shit out before the playoffs. San Marino is a free hit, Kazakhstan have nothing to play for and Cyprus away will be tough but should see it through

3 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Marshall is a good shot stopper, but I’ve never been a big fan. I don’t think he inspires confidence in the defenders in front of him which will have a knock on effect.

The only better keeper available is McGregor though. (Admittedly I’ve seen McLaughlin once and never seen McGillivray).

:lol::lol:

I dread to think what they do for his confidence.

Every time one of our defenders gets the ball he must be thinking "Right, which one of the opposition is he going to pass it to, so that I can try to get ready to save his shot?":lol:

On 9/11/2019 at 5:41 PM, mccaughey85 said:

So it's been a bit of depressing double header but we should still be optimistic imo. We have to take the positives and look to see what can be done to make us better. 

GK - Marshall is a decent goalkeeper and wasn't really to blame for the goals we conceded. He should be good for a few years to come

Rb- o donnell doesn't look good enough for international football. We should be trying to get Ryan Fredericks of West ham in as he would be a massive upgrade.

Cb - McKenna and souttar should be back when fit but are they any better than cooper or mulgrew, personally I would happy keep mulgrew. We really could do with better centre backs, I think when fit Hanley should be given another crack with Scotland. Hopefully Ryan porteous can develop into an international class defender. Sadly though it's a real problem position and unless we see an upcoming centre back break through then we could be fucked for a few years at least. McKenna and souttar are still young but it's hard to judge if they are good enough to step up in class.

Lb - we are well stocked there and the possibility of maybe placing Tierney there and putting Robertson at rb or midfield is a possibility. Robertson has taking a bit of slagging recently but I still believe he's a top full back and we are lucky to have him. 

Rw- Forrest doesn't really pull out enough good performances to warrant being first choice, I suppose that could be said of most Scotland players tbf. It would be good if we could see more of the performances that pretty much single handedly won us our play off. I think it's time to give Johnston or Snodgrass a run on the right wing and see if they improve it while keeping Forrest in the loop with the hope of improvement.

Lw - we should persevere with Fraser although we should look to bring in a young winger like Johnston or McLennan for experience. Fraser hasn't exactly been brilliant and I would of hoped for more from him considering how good he's been in the epl.

Cm- we have good options here although you wouldn't think so over the last two games or more. I think we look a better side with Christie or Armstrong starting. I would like to see mctominay keeping his place in the team. This position is strong potentially as we have Turnbull and gilmour coming through as well and the fact that Christie,mctominay and mcginn are all relatively young. We should be making this position of strength work for us more but are not, our midfield on paper should be better than most other countries but we don't seem to getting the best out of it. I hoping Clarke can address this and get the best out what should be our strongest asset.

St - mcburnie doesn't look good enough tbh, thankfully we will have Griffith's back soon or should do. I think we looked a much better side when Griffith's played so I would like to see him get back the spot up front. We should be looking to tempt karlan grant to Scotland as he could be a long term front man and provide short term cover for Griffith's. If Lawrence shankland could move up a level and start scoring goals there then we might be able to get him involved as well. I wouldn't mind Steven fletcher coming back as well.

It's a tough time to be a Scotland fan but I don't think it's all doom and gloom. We need to give Clarke a proper chance to change things. He's got three winnable games to get momentum going for the play offs and that's really what he will be judged on. With Scotland I believe it's a mental problem more than player problem. We have shown glimpses over the years of how well we can play for example away to Albania 4 nil or beating Croatia home and away. Strength in depth is also a problem as when we lose a couple of key players we tend not have a decent back up as shown with the striker position. 

We need a shithouse defensive midfielder in ASAP-enter John Fleck.  

Shore up that centre defence-it’s embarrassingly bad. halkett from hearts is also an option.

Striking wise- griff back ASAP. A recall for olly Burke. I’d also like to see Callum Paterson up top as he has  impressed with Cardiff whenever called upon and he can play the role.

On 9/10/2019 at 5:12 PM, kwhitelaw said:

Aye I'm sure a while back on another thread I listed all the games Tierney played RB and as you say we never lost!  As the OP originally stated McGrain could do it so why can't Tierney?

The answer to this question might be 'because McGrain was undeniably world class' 

On 9/12/2019 at 10:36 AM, ElChris04 said:

On 9/12/2019 at 11:23 AM, Bino's said:

agreed, shankland hasn't even proved himself at sottish premiership level, how anyone thinks he is ready for international a level football is beyond me. The championship in Scotland is competitive but its a very poor level of football.

As much as I rate Tierney, classing him as one of the best full backs in the world is very premature.

Guest ElChris04
47 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

agreed, shankland hasn't even proved himself at sottish premiership level, how anyone thinks he is ready for international a level football is beyond me. The championship in Scotland is competitive but its a very poor level of football.

As much as I rate Tierney, classing him as one of the best full backs in the world is very premature.

Shankland is a debatable one. When he’s over scoring in a league I think it’s hard to ignore. On the other side it’s the Scottish championship. I can see why people would want him called up and why others can’t. 

Do I see him getting called up? Probably not, I doubt Clarke would take such a gamble on a player, I personally would call him up giving the group is over for us and the next set of games are hardly against world beaters, but each to there own. Maybe Clarke would rather use these games with the players we have already got like McBurnie and Griffiths when he’s back to get used to his system rather than calling up new faces that are a gamble 

• 4 weeks later...

Well here is a reflection. For all that we have had a woeful run of 4 bad defeats, it's difficult to see us having made it out this group as it has turned out. Russia seem to be doing so well, that it's hard to see how we could have overhauled them, under normal expected circumstances.  

6ceb7f64-33a7-4620-aaf4-24c826acb34b.png

I mean, suppose we had won in Kazakhstan (with any manager of your choice - had it been Strachan still in charge, or Clarke in early, or McLeish). We'd be on 12 points. And if we'd beaten Russia at Hampden, we'd have been buzzing against Belgium. But it's difficult to see us getting many or any more points than that, i.e. we'd be on 15, and Russia on 18.  You could more easily imagine us only getting draws against either Kazakhstan (away) or Russia) at home (i.e. we'd be on 13, and Russia on 18 or 19. It's difficult to see us catching Russia on their form as it has turned out (ie they are almost matching Belgium like top seeds, whereas we needed them to be much closer to us).

What was really dispiriting of course was losing 8-0 over two games, home to Belgium and away to Russia. Which were had to take, becoming one of the a punchbags of the group.  But narrow 1-0 reverses would have seen us just as distant, points-wise.

Put another way this group was always a long shot, and we just have to hope, somehow, that adversity forges a new improved team to play in the play-offs. he hope is that Clarke was right in  saying the last Russia game is hopefully the lowest of the low, and he seemed pleased the crowd was higher than expected tonight as if feeling we can pull together and pull ourselves up to the standard required.

Two games have killed us. The first one and Russia at home. Kazakhstan away was just a disaster. Russia at home was a funny game as we looked great until we scored. 

If we had have won them we might have performed better against Belgium although I doubt we'd have got anything even if we were in better form. 

@exilegood post very true. I said from day 1 we didn't have much hope in this group. Belgium was obvious, Russia has pedigree.. Quarters of the World Cup, regularly find ways to make tournaments, players who have UCL experience and experience in the knockout rounds of the UCL and going far in the Europa  League on numerous occasions. Those type of players have seen it all before. 

It's interesting.. when i was in Russia for the World Cup a lot of fans would tell me the national team had become a laughing stock after Euro 2016, constant memes and jokes about them. Their coach managed to really motivate the team to shut up their critics and they have not stopped since. At the World Cup they only lost to Uruguay (in a 90 minute game), nations League Sweden, Euro 2020 qualifiers Belgium. Look at their manager he looks and sounds intimidating. Takes no shit. Some of their best players would miss selection if he felt they were half assing it.  

I don't know how they will go at Euro 2020 but they always find a way to make tournaments, it is a big mental edge. 

Even after the first round of fixtures, I thought that's us done for. That first game was just utterly disastrous, 2-0 down after 10 minutes and our realistic automatic qualification hopes hanging by a thread. If it wasn't over there and then, Russia then played them on the Sunday and turned them over 4-0, and that was already two games in basically needing 6 pts from the 2 Russian/Belgian games to have any chance of getting an automatic spot.

After Clarke's first double header, I was reasonably happy. A lucky, but dogged win against Cyprus - luck of the green, first game etc I thought, followed up by a very decent -albeit outclassed/played and dominated by a Belgian side in Brussels - we looked a lot better defensively ; disciplined and 3-0 felt a bit harsher than it was (considering two Belgian goals came in added time of both halves).

His second double header was just horrendous and possibly the most depressing moment in my history of following our team. Even though we lost 2-1, it could have been 5 or 6 if it wasn't for Marshall, some luck, and poor finishing from Russia. I can't remember a game we were so dominated and for want of a better word ''pished on'' by a team. The Belgium was the icing on what probably has to be in recent memory, Scotland's worst double header!

The first half of the game in Russia looked reasonably promising in a 'we have next to no chance of winning this game, but might if lucky, get out of here with a point' before utterly capitulating  after the first Russian goal. At 10pm on Thursday, I was just delighted those four games were over. A severely depressing time, and to sound like a madman, was quite happy to know it was San Marino next.

Today - whilst very difficult conditions - and San Marino - the worst team in UEFA qualifying - as well couldn't have came at a better time. Four losses on the bounce, and 99.5% chance of taking all three points. I wanted to see what we can do as an attacking team, what do we have likewise albeit against part-timers ; and how much are the players fancying this and/or playing for the jersey/Clarke.  I think 6-0 was a reasonably good return after a horror two months, and a perfect game to start licking some wounds.

We now have won 1 game on the bounce. It's not much, and I'm not deluded - qualifying is going to be a very, very difficult task on the back of what we've just seen in this qualifying group - but with that one game and win tonight ; we and the new coach can hopefully build on this.

It means nothing in the scheme of things, but beating San Marino is I hope the start of a new and positive beginning for us all. We seen today by the performance and taking the game to San Marino, that these players want to be there - some have questioned our commitment/confidence etc- but I think today hopefully is the first few miles in the marathon that will be Euro 2020.

2 minutes ago, infamous said:

@exilegood post very true. I said from day 1 we didn't have much hope in this group. Belgium was obvious, Russia has pedigree.. Quarters of the World Cup, regularly find ways to make tournaments, players who have UCL experience and experience in the knockout rounds of the UCL and going far in the Europa  League on numerous occasions. Those type of players have seen it all before. 

It's interesting.. when i was in Russia for the World Cup a lot of fans would tell me the national team had become a laughing stock after Euro 2016, constant memes and jokes about them. Their coach managed to really motivate the team to shut up their critics and they have not stopped since. At the World Cup they only lost to Uruguay (in a 90 minute game), nations League Sweden, Euro 2020 qualifiers Belgium. Look at their manager he looks and sounds intimidating. Takes no shit. Some of their best players would miss selection if he felt they were half assing it.  

I don't know how they will go at Euro 2020 but they always find a way to make tournaments, it is a big mental edge. 

I am afraid that I cannot claim any such foresight. I am always too optimistic. In the last tournament, I was pleased to face England as the top seed as I thought we could punch above our weight against them (well, nearly) and that could propel us to get past the other pretenders. Was not to be. For this one, we would have been relying on Russia having overperformed with home advantage, and reverting to being a mediocre side, but that turned out to be a faint hope.

The hope now has to be that Clarke can turn things around like your highlighted text above.

And, being optimistic, is there any chance we could get some momentum and lucky breaks? Imagine winning the next two games (or at least two good performances, even an away draw in Cyprus, but something where we show mettle and mental toughness in adversity, eg coming back from 0-2 to 2-2.)  Then a home game in the play-offs, and a lucky break to get the next game at home and win it and qualify and get another home game in the tournament and win that? Yes I am getting carried away.

But a very serious point is the fact that home advantage is a very real thing, and all teams who get it in a tournament seem to thrive on it  (until recently, no one ever failed to qualify from group stages - till I think, Austria and South Africa). Look at Russia. Look at Japan (rugby). We have never had that tournament advantage. So who knows what we could do? To get to the finals, we would have to have just won 2 knockout matches, wouldn't we be then on a high?

I know some have said they'd be embarrassed to qualify but I would bite your hand off (is that a phrase?) to get in on the back of 2 knockout victories. A bit of momentum. Like when a team who finishes in the lowest play-off position, with nothing to loose, beats the on-paper better teams, and get propelled to promotion...

OK, enough optimism. But, we have to find belief we can do it, from somewhere. 

On 9/12/2019 at 11:36 AM, ElChris04 said:

Agree with most of these especially Liam Henderson. I currently live in Italy, speak Italian and am involved in football coaching & he is very highly regarded here amongst fans,players and coaches. Questions are asked here why he isn’t selected. Gilmour is also highly rated by youth players all over the world at the moment-you’d think that one would be a no brainer.  

As for CB a fit and healthy Steven Caulker is another no brainer for me. He is starting to take command of his career again after some time off the rails but he’s undoubtedly got ability & is certainly a physical CB that we need to perhaps partner McKenna or Souttar. 

A

42 minutes ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

As for CB a fit and healthy Steven Caulker is another no brainer for me. He is starting to take command of his career again after some time off the rails but he’s undoubtedly got ability & is certainly a physical CB that we need to perhaps partner McKenna or Souttar. 

He’s played less than 15 games in Turkey. How many have actually seen him player as well? 

A much needed reality check this campaign. We’re at best in the 3rd tier of international football. I’d love us to qualify through the playoffs but we’d more than likely get badly beaten in most games. There is room for improvement though and Clarke needs to work on making us harder to breakdown, too many cheap goals.

Not to scapegoat Mulgrew but given his age it’s time to retire him. Fair play, his attitude has been spot on. 

Snodgrass is too slow for international football and the wrong side of 30. Wouldn’t pick him anymore. 

Forgot about Naismith and Fletcher for similar reasons. 

Reflection on today's result is nothing has changed for me. It was an expected result. We beat the worst team in the world, at home, in conditions that would suit professional players more than part timers, who would tire more quickly.

Next month will be the start of seeing any progression for me, especially the Cyprus game, as I think that could be pretty hard game  Yet the likes of N Ireland have got their act together and are now beating teams like this, in their own back yards. Until we start doing this (ie the basics), plucky defeats to the world's best teams (like years gone by, and we're not even doing that now!) won't cut it

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild