Our "big players" - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Our "big players"

Squirrelhumper

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

John Mclaughlin gk

Jack Grimmer

Harry Souttar/Michael Rose if your picky 

Clark Robertson

Donald Love -thought he was a left back but don't have one in the league so he's in there

Scott Fraser 

Chris McGuire

Liam kelly 

George Boyd

Paul Coutts

Marc Mcnulty

Ethan Hamilton  on the bench got to give the youngsters a chance

Woops did you mean the full team

No stats on the SPL players and you cant really compare EPL with Championship

Reckon my Div one select would have no problems in the SPL

I did mean the full team but I get why that isn't possible.

That League One team would be lucky not to get relegated from the Scottish Prem. Other than the keeper it's honking.

54 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

I did mean the full team but I get why that isn't possible.

That League One team would be lucky not to get relegated from the Scottish Prem. Other than the keeper it's honking.

I'll buy St Johnstone dump all their players in Tay or some nearby river. 

Then I'll buy the Scottish select and we will see who's right

On 9/10/2019 at 11:03 AM, wee-toon-red said:

I think this is where Boyd got his criticisms spot on last night. Although he was speaking specifically about Scottish football, his points about robotic, formulaic players were spot on in general football terms. With the possible exception of Christie, all of our midfielders are more or less the same. Maybe McGregor and McTominay have the ability to follow higher levels of tactical instruction, hence their playing with more successful teams, but take them out of those teams and they don't have the ability to influence a game in any noticeable way.

I think Robertson is the same, a very, very effective player in a team where he was signed because he fits the system, but nothing about him is truly outstanding other than perhaps his desire and work-ethic.

For me, top-level football is becoming more and more about systems and structures rather than individual brilliance. Even look at De Bruyne last night - he just does everything consistently well rather than any one thing being particularly outstanding. We need a coach who really gets the tactical side of the game and will pick the players that fit that, rather than trying to get our supposed best players to fit a different system. Liverpool are a great example of this and even Guardiola's teams are similar, filled with players who absolutely understand what is required of them rather than being expected to come up with something out of nothing themselves.

I actually think Clarke will be the man to do that so this certainly isn't a Clarke Out post in case anyone takes it that way.

Nah I’d say de Bruyne is the best passer in world football.

"Big Players" is a good title. 

Quiet confident no more than 2 of our players would make the Russian starting eleven. None would make the Belgium starting eleven. 

Was flicking through my Panini world cup collection (1970-2018) and my 1990 World Cup Orbis (Some might remember it), looked at our squads and the real difference I could see was ~5 players had leadership qualities and were influential at decent clubs (At the time). 

15 hours ago, romanticscot said:

What do you think of Tierney in the left sided defensive midfield along with McTominay and try Soutar at right back who from my brief research yesterday has played there before.

Not for me. The worst part of Tierneys game for Celtic was his reluctance to try and turn on his right foot under pressure to play inward. Would always resort to the safe passes back/up the line, or use his pace to take a man on. That would be heightened in central midfield. The boys a full back.

3 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Not for me. The worst part of Tierneys game for Celtic was his reluctance to try and turn on his right foot under pressure to play inward. Would always resort to the safe passes back/up the line, or use his pace to take a man on. That would be heightened in central midfield. The boys a full back.

It would be lessened in midfield.

19 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

I already explained my reason behind dropping Fraser. I even said if he was to start over Johnston then that’s absolutely fine if he’s in form but Johnstone can take on and beat players and it’s something we’ve been missing, but again I already mentioned if Fraser was to start then faith enough, I presume you hadn’t have read the bottle paragraph on my last post 

Personally I think we should be building the team around getting the best from Fraser.  I think he is our best player and is capable of being a match-winner on a consistent basis.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:09 PM, bazmidd said:

Ah I'm getting my Ver's mixed up! McLean though lost his man and didn't track back on a number of occasions. He was drafted in to make us more solid in Midfield and did not take any responsibility defwnsively. Let himself down big time in these games. We actually miss a solid anchor man in Midfield, someone who just likes to defend can put a foot in. I'm not sure on Ryan Jack I would say he is actually a similar player to Kenny McLean. John Fleck is a defensive midfielder now maybe deserves a chance or perhaps a promotion for Ross McCrorie. We need some just to cover our attacking players and make tackles in there

Fleck's a defensive mid, but he's not really one who breaks up play. He's an architect, moving the ball around, and we sort of need a Broon type 'enforcer'. Someone who will pressure and tackle.

To my mind there's not a tonne of those available to us right now. Jack is one, Kevin McDonald and Graeme Shinnie are options. McDonald had a few bad games where he was basically hung out to dry as McTominay was in these last two games, so people seem to be against him. And Shinnie had a very poor game at left back, so people are against him. I hadn't seen anything of Swansea, so don't know what kind of player Fulton is. Jack's pretty much untried, but he seems a bit temperamental to me. Still we can only use the tools we have.

Personally I'd probably take Shinnie. Was captain at Aberdeen, so should be able to help McTominay thru and has looked motivated when he's played in the middle. Not saying he's 100% the answer, but it's clear that McLean and McGregor aren't defensively sound enough to play that role. So I'd try Shinnie and McTominay. We have 4 games to prepare now, so we should use them.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Fleck's a defensive mid, but he's not really one who breaks up play. He's an architect, moving the ball around, and we sort of need a Broon type 'enforcer'. Someone who will pressure and tackle.

To my mind there's not a tonne of those available to us right now. Jack is one, Kevin McDonald and Graeme Shinnie are options. McDonald had a few bad games where he was basically hung out to dry as McTominay was in these last two games, so people seem to be against him. And Shinnie had a very poor game at left back, so people are against him. I hadn't seen anything of Swansea, so don't know what kind of player Fulton is. Jack's pretty much untried, but he seems a bit temperamental to me. Still we can only use the tools we have.

Personally I'd probably take Shinnie. Was captain at Aberdeen, so should be able to help McTominay thru and has looked motivated when he's played in the middle. Not saying he's 100% the answer, but it's clear that McLean and McGregor aren't defensively sound enough to play that role. So I'd try Shinnie and McTominay. We have 4 games to prepare now, so we should use them.

Shinnie is nowhere near it. I’d also say our biggest problem was the lack of a midfielder to take the ball off our defenders and set the tempo. So we need a Fleck-type player although hopefully come March that’s Gilmour.

27 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Shinnie is nowhere near it. I’d also say our biggest problem was the lack of a midfielder to take the ball off our defenders and set the tempo. So we need a Fleck-type player although hopefully come March that’s Gilmour.

:blink:

Eh..... would he not be more a Gilmour type player?

On 9/13/2019 at 11:17 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

In fairness that is were he spent nearly the entire season when Cardiff got promoted.

They were in a right hole when they had to play him up front, a bit like we are when we play him right back

Not Cardiff or Paterson's fault but centre mid is really the last place we need a player.

Just now, wee-toon-red said:

Not Cardiff or Paterson's fault but centre mid is really the last place we need a player.

I still think he is our best right back option even though he does't play there any more.  Not sure why he wasn't in the last squad, he was on the bench the week before the internationals and Clarke must have known the injury he had was the type to clear up pretty fast. Unless Clarke thought he had right back covered😉:banghead:

Guest ElChris04

McGinn been Villa’s best player so far tonight against West Ham. Had the 2 best chances with 2 good saves from there keeper.

on another note. Ryan Fredericks looks decent aswell.. wonder what happened with his talks with Clarke? Would take him in a heartbeat