European qualifiers since 2000 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European qualifiers since 2000

Stuart87

B377355A-A79D-4693-9B8C-D6633488A70A.thumb.jpeg.c795c8d2ac1cf1970aaa91310ae6ceed.jpeg

Since the turn of the century 32 European teams have qualified for major tournaments. There are 55 member nations in UEFA so we are one of the 23 that haven’t. This is a sad indictment of our national game. What do folk think are the main reasons for this complete failure, who is at fault and what can be done to turn this around? 

13 hours ago, infamous said:

Yep from memory drew with Germany. We also drew with Germany in the qualifying campaign one year earlier. 

Cool post/thread. Love looking at stats such as this one.

Cheers. I also find it interesting that Norway haven’t qualified since euro 2000 so they’re basically in the same situation as us. I wonder what they’re saying about it? 

8 minutes ago, Stuart87 said:

Cheers. I also find it interesting that Norway haven’t qualified since euro 2000 so they’re basically in the same situation as us. I wonder what they’re saying about it? 

"Put a wee drop of this massive oil fund into grass roots fitba?"

10 minutes ago, Stuart87 said:

I think the big difference with Norway is that they've never really had a sustained period of qualifying for tournaments. Their best period was in the 90s, when they qualified for the World Cup in 1994 and 1998 and Euro 2000. That's all they've ever qualified for. So being in the situation they're in now is normal in their footballing history, whereas it's not for us.