Scotland v Belguim - match thread - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Belguim - match thread

vanderark14

27 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

I'd mentioned before the match that I was worried Forrest looked a tired man in the old firm, and I think the same was the case on Friday night. Such unfortunate timing because even those who have always had it in for him in the TA had to shut it for a while. I think the Russians did a job on him and Fraser for most of the game to be fair, but he looked drained of his usual guile and enthusiasm. However, Christie has played most of those big games for celtic in the month or so leading up to this and seemed fresh when he came on, so Forrest and Mcgregor deserve criticism for having poor nights. Such useful players for us in general and still see them as fixtures of the side going forward, but hey ho, I'd drop the pair of them tonight as well. 

Forrest could still feature from the bench if we're still in the game an hour in. 

Hahaha, big if. 

Christie still has something to prove, at least for Scotland. So he knows he has to make a monumental effort, possibly with the initial criticism Forrest got in mind. Playing well for Celtic no longer guarantees a start or praise from the fans. 

I'm not saying that Forrest was necrssarily being complacent, but he definitely underperformed. For one reason or another. No one should be undroppable.

It was far from Fraser's best game, but he still made a lot of positive contributions. I can't remember any from Forrest apart from a wasted foray into the box where he should have passed earlier.

(Disclaimer: I'm a fan of Forrest)

38 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Rather see Greg Taylor play right back than O’Donnell. Think at this point it’s worth a try, nothing to lose and can’t be any worse then SOD who’s been nothing short of terrible. 

Aye - it would give Taylor first team experience, which would benefit him at his age. Seemed to work well enough when Tierney played right-back for a period under Strachan.

20 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

We should look to bring in Ryan Fredericks from West ham. Would surely be an upgrade on what we have.

There was talk of him being targeted a few months ago, I don't know if anything came of it or if it was just newspaper talk. He would certainly be an improvement on what we've got currently at right-back.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't think people have it in for him, maybe a few numpties. The criticism of Forrest prior to the nations league was absolutely justified as he never turned up when playing for Scotland before then. His performances in the Nations league were exceptional and deserved praise but I think its harsh to say people had it in for him. I was a vocal critic of his but not only him, not many of our players deserve to be lavished with praise of late 😂

Awk aye most didn't, but I wasn't saying there are oodles of folk that have it in for him. 

Nonetheless, I do distinctly recall him getting it in the neck quickly and consistently form the first moment he pulled on the dark blue. Even in the under 21s, remarkably enough. 'You'd have put that in the net if you were playing for the mankies ya tarrier bastart' was the cry of one particular group of morons stood a row in front of me in Brussels. Rather hints at a minor group having a particular bee in their bonnet about him. The old firm players always get this off a few cretins. 

I've a few celtic fan pals who, inexplicably, have it in for him, as well. I think it's because he clearly has bags of talent and can be so dangerous at times, whilst having a tendency to drift almost entirely out of games. Inconsistent yet capable guys tend to irate folk more than the players who are bang average all the time, because they are at least consistently bang average. We can probably all think of players who frustrate us more because we know what they can be capable of. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Christie still has something to prove, at least for Scotland. So he knows he has to make a monumental effort, possibly with the initial criticism Forrest got in mind. Playing well for Celtic no longer guarantees a start or praise from the fans. 

I'm not saying that Forrest was necrssarily being complacent, but he definitely underperformed. For one reason or another. No one should be undroppable.

It was far from Fraser's best game, but he still made a lot of positive contributions. I can't remember any from Forrest apart from a wasted foray into the box where he should have passed earlier.

(Disclaimer: I'm a fan of Forrest)

As a fan of both Forrest and Christie, I think this is pretty spot on. I'm not saying it was complacency at all, I think he was trying as much as ever; I think he just seems done in. I'm not sure why, given the other players don't seem as fatigued, but hey ho. He was Celtic's main shining light in July/August, you would have to say. But i got the same impression watching the old firm game; he seemed in need of a rest. 

Fraser did put the ball into the box for our goal (shocking from the keeper) and had a few decent moments late on but the Russians had identified them both, it seems, as threats to be snuffed out. By and large they did that successfully. A very professional display from them on our danger men. 

14 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

As a fan of both Forrest and Christie, I think this is pretty spot on. I'm not saying it was complacency at all, I think he was trying as much as ever; I think he just seems done in. I'm not sure why, given the other players don't seem as fatigued, but hey ho. He was Celtic's main shining light in July/August, you would have to say. But i got the same impression watching the old firm game; he seemed in need of a rest. 

Fraser did put the ball into the box for our goal (shocking from the keeper) and had a few decent moments late on but the Russians had identified them both, it seems, as threats to be snuffed out. By and large they did that successfully. A very professional display from them on our danger men. 

It's not hard to guess looking at our team that the left side is strongest. It took them 15mins to nullify that threat. 

However, that should have given Forrest the incentive to get forward and utilise the extra space he'd be awarded. But it almost felt like they managed to double up on both sides. We missed a player to drive through the middle. 

Against weaker teams, we could have 3 attacking midfielders and be more of a threat going forward. *fingers crossed*

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

It's not hard to guess looking at our team that the left side is strongest. It took them 15mins to nullify that threat. 

However, that should have given Forrest the incentive to get forward and utilise the extra space he'd be awarded. But it almost felt like they managed to double up on both sides. We missed a player to drive through the middle. 

Against weaker teams, we could have 3 attacking midfielders and be more of a threat going forward. *fingers crossed*

Weaker than us? Not many of them these days.

8 hours ago, bonzo said:

I'm that excited I'm shittin myself. Can't see any better than a serious dooing for us tonight. I'll still go though. 

Aye, you’ve got to go. Just taken my seat in north stand. Feels like a friendly.