Scotland v Belguim - match thread - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Belguim - match thread

vanderark14

15 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Yet under Burley, we still had something to play for up to the last game of the qualifiers

Exactly what I was thinking. 

This current side is the worst I've seen

8 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Look these qualifiers were always a warm up to the play offs, mcliesh absolutely destroyed that team. We never played terrible tonight just they are far superior ATM. Mid week home games have killed the atmosphere if you ask me

When was the last time we played mid week? Odd thing to say. 

39 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Is this our worst team ever? I'm with the others who say the vogts era wasnt that bad, his team competed at least.

I cant remember a scotland team this bad in my lifetime. 

Vogts era wasn't bad in hindsight it was more of a "What if" for me.  I feel our expectations at the time were different (made 5 of the last 6 World Cups, 2 of the last 3 Euros). The other reason it was a dud was the fact we dropped 2 points against Faroe Islands and 3 against Lithuania... had we won those we would have topped the group and qualified directly. 

We had some highs and some massive lows.

Highs
1-0 against Netherlands first leg of the play offs
1-1 with Germany 

Lows
0-6 return leg of play offs against the Dutch
2-2 Faroe Islands
0-1 loss to Lithuania

This campaign has all been lows and no highs. 

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Hes still a prick.

Usual summary of the game from the English squash player who doesn't go to Scotland games.  Calling a record breaking Scottish player a 'prick'.  High intelligence levels from Hampshire as usual.  Boyd played for Rangers so that makes him a prick.  Loony toons.

Ended up not going as I have work early tomorrow. Dodged a bullet. Painful to hear de Bruyne seems to have been their talisman, given that he looks Scottish.

I said after the Russia game that the rest of the group matches are just test beds to try and find and hone the team to get us through the playoffs. Didn't start well.

It used to be a given that, win lose or draw, any side who came to Hampden to play a competitive fixture knew they were in for a tough game. Not anymore.

In the last three days we've beaten easily by a good not great Russia side and hammered by an admittedly excellent Belgium team with neither side having to get out of second gear. Even the brilliant Spain side who came here in 2010 had to work for their victory.

There's nae shame in losing to a side of Belgium's quality but there's a softness to this Scotland side and that's just not acceptable.

Just now, hampden_loon2878 said:

Correction, random week day games, before it was always home games on a Saturday, odd one was on a Wednesday, its a big ask for fans from the north to come down on a monday night

Monday nights are a horrendous idea. You have to take days off work if you're travelling any distance, parents are reluctant to take schoolkids and even if you're relatively local to Hampden (like me) you opt out for work reasons, sometimes.

In fairness it's this UEFA 'Week of Football' nonsense but other teams have Saturday games. Surelythe invisible trio, Maxwell, Petrie and Petries scary  moustache will be putting the case for Scotland fans?

Kidding.

23 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Not often I’ll agree with Kris Boyd, but he was absolutely spot on with his assessment of the state of our game tonight. 

Sad, but very very true. 

He made some good points.

The depressing thing is many of them were the same points that that other petulant ex-Scotland centre-forward turned pundit Charlie Nicholas made over a decade ago.

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

He made some good points.

The depressing thing is many of them were the same points that that other petulant ex-Scotland centre-forward turned pundit Charlie Nicholas made over a decade ago.

I dare say we’ll hear them in another 10 years time when Fletcher quits and becomes a pundit. 

9 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Correction, random week day games, before it was always home games on a Saturday, odd one was on a Wednesday, its a big ask for fans from the north to come down on a monday night

Next one v SAN Marino is Sunday 5pm. Play it at Annan. 

Just got back from the game. After 40 years following Scotland this has got to be the lowest point i can remember. I stayed until the end of the game not through loyalty but just to watch the Belgium team, they are an impressive outfit. I think it's time to give the young boy's a game, Gilmour, Hornby etc in the next few games. Not calling for the manager to be sacked, i think he will resign soon (not what i want). Never thought i would say this but i've had enough. Feel sorry for the younger generation, at least i've seen Scotland be competitive the younger generation will have a long wait to see a competitive Scotland team.

Edited by Lairdyfaeinverclyde

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I still back clarke too, hes had four matches, it's not enough to make his mark on the team.

Anyone who thinks he should resign or be sacked is a fucking lunatic 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Is this our worst team ever? I'm with the others who say the vogts era wasnt that bad, his team competed at least.

I cant remember a scotland team this bad in my lifetime. 

Clarke inherited a complete clusterfuck from McLeish. A team bereft of self belief and confidence. It's going to take time and patience to turn this round. The next four games is all about getting some points in the bag, building confidence, trying to secure third place for seeding purposes and be ready for next March. I back Clarke to ride out the storm and get us back on an even keel?

Scotland this bad? Nah. You old enough to remember the likes of Robbie Stockdale, Kevin Kyle, Warren Cummings, Lee Wilkie etc? We do have have a decent nucleus that are playing at a high level in the EPL. But they are on their knees confidence wise. Clarke needs time with them to get his ideas across and build them up

There was a kind of numb resignation tonight. Like a defence against getting hopes up. 

But as for our defence, what happened to it? I have never felt us so vulnerable in the sense that any time they got the ball you thought they might score.

In a way the 4th goal was a sucker punch as bad as the rest, in the sense, if we'd got through the second half with a clean sheet we might have felt we'd figured them out and turned the corner. But no, it always looked as if they could step up a gear and score when they could be bothered. 

Not much passion or anger left. I almost miss the nerve-jangling hope-crushing last gasp defeats we used to crash out of tournaments to. 

3 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Clarke inherited a complete clusterfuck from McLeish. A team bereft of self belief and confidence. It's going to take time and patience to turn this round. The next four games is all about getting some points in the bag, building confidence, trying to secure third place for seeding purposes and be ready for next March. I back Clarke to ride out the storm and get us back on an even keel?

Scotland this bad? Nah. You old enough to remember the likes of Robbie Stockdale, Kevin Kyle, Warren Cummings, Lee Wilkie etc? We do have have a decent nucleus that are playing at a high level in the EPL. But they are on their knees confidence wise. Clarke needs time with them to get his ideas across and build them up

Very much agree.

Don't understand why it's so hard for some people to grasp this fact however.