Scotland v Belguim - match thread - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Belguim - match thread

vanderark14

Well, according to the Beeb Gossip column, 'Celtic's Ryan Christie is being lined up to start in midfield for Scotland alongside West Ham United's Robert Snodgrass and Norwich City's Kenny McLean, with West Bromwich Albion's Matt Phillips up front as head coach Steve Clarke rings the changes for Monday's must-win Euro 2020 qualifier at home to Belgium.' https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49631516

Hard to argue with those changes if true. Christie and Phillips both did okay when they came on, Mclean is a tidy player most of the time and Snodgrass is experienced and has goals in him. Let'd face it, no many of Friday's 11 can argue too much if they get dropped. 

24 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

From the Belgians I have spoken to they aren't very excited.. They know they will win but it's just a pointer that their trip is coming to an end

I passed a wee group of them on Argyle St this morning, they didn't look too excited huddled in the rain. 

I was more excited to find that Greggs have reintroduced buttered fruit scones.  

Snodgrass starting is an absolute must. Few players over the past decade put in the effort he does on the pitch for Scotland. Even when he's having a bad game, he is still giving 100%. He can lead by example.

I think Forrest needs dropped. On form, he's 1 of the first names on the team sheet. But his confidence looks absolutely shattered. God knows why after the start he's had to the season, but he looked like a shell of a man against Rangers and Russia.

Edited by Tartan blood

I’m going to the game as usual but I can’t say I’m particularly excited about it. 

This is a strange campaign in that we have not put in one single decent performance (for a full match anyway) and may well end up being eliminated with 3 games to go but we still have a playoff to look forward to and could still qualify for Euro 2020.

Time for Clarke to start earning his money and sort out his best 11. We’ve got 5 warm up games to get ready for the playoffs and they start tonight. 

Just now, Tartan blood said:

Snodgrass starting is an absolute must. Few players over the past decade put in the effort he does on the pitch for Scotland. Even when he's having a bad game, he is still giving 100%. He can lead by example.

I think Forrest needs dropped. On form, he's 1 of the first names on the team sheet. But his confidence looks absolutely shattered. God knows why after the start he's had to the season, but he looked like a shell of a man against Rangers and Russia.

Snodgrass will start tonight I would imagine. 4 or 5 players from Friday need dropped. 

If Tierney was fit I would drop Robertson as well. 

Forrest was shite on Friday but then so was everyone after we scored. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn’t start though. 

23 minutes ago, csinclair said:

The side is rumoured to be

Marshall

SOD Mulgrew Cooper Robbo 

McLean McTominay

Snoddy.    Christie.      Fraser

Phillips

Yeh that will be it.

53 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'd mentioned before the match that I was worried Forrest looked a tired man in the old firm, and I think the same was the case on Friday night. Such unfortunate timing because even those who have always had it in for him in the TA had to shut it for a while. I think the Russians did a job on him and Fraser for most of the game to be fair, but he looked drained of his usual guile and enthusiasm. However, Christie has played most of those big games for celtic in the month or so leading up to this and seemed fresh when he came on, so Forrest and Mcgregor deserve criticism for having poor nights. Such useful players for us in general and still see them as fixtures of the side going forward, but hey ho, I'd drop the pair of them tonight as well. 

Forrest could still feature from the bench if we're still in the game an hour in. 

Hahaha, big if. 

Guest ElChris04
26 minutes ago, csinclair said:

The side is rumoured to be

Marshall

SOD Mulgrew Cooper Robbo 

McLean McTominay

Snoddy.    Christie.      Fraser

Phillips

Dropping McGinn would be a terrible idea. Rather Russell up front aswell. 

55 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

51 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Snodgrass will start tonight I would imagine. 4 or 5 players from Friday need dropped. 

If Tierney was fit I would drop Robertson as well. 

Forrest was shite on Friday but then so was everyone after we scored. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn’t start though. 

agree with both of you

Forrest has in the main been shite for scotland apart from the nations league where he turned up and had a huge hand in getting the playoff spot.

One thing I would add, who ever gets picked to play upfront is on to a loss already, its a thankless task when there's nobody in midfield linking the play

Guest ElChris04

Rather see Greg Taylor play right back than O’Donnell. Think at this point it’s worth a try, nothing to lose and can’t be any worse then SOD who’s been nothing short of terrible. 

1 minute ago, AndyDD said:

I'd mentioned before the match that I was worried Forrest looked a tired man in the old firm, and I think the same was the case on Friday night. Such unfortunate timing because even those who have always had it in for him in the TA had to shut it for a while. I think the Russians did a job on him and Fraser for most of the game to be fair, but he looked drained of his usual guile and enthusiasm. However, Christie has played most of those big games for celtic in the month or so leading up to this and seemed fresh when he came on, so Forrest and Mcgregor deserve criticism for having poor nights. Such useful players for us in general and still see them as fixtures of the side going forward, but hey ho, I'd drop the pair of them tonight as well. 

Forrest could still feature from the bench if we're still in the game an hour in. 

Hahaha, big if. 

I don't think people have it in for him, maybe a few numpties. The criticism of Forrest prior to the nations league was absolutely justified as he never turned up when playing for Scotland before then. His performances in the Nations league were exceptional and deserved praise but I think its harsh to say people had it in for him. I was a vocal critic of his but not only him, not many of our players deserve to be lavished with praise of late 😂