(How) Can Scotland do better than San Marino? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

(How) Can Scotland do better than San Marino?

exile

"Scotland get San Marino comparison as Belgium star delivers cutting verdict

Steve Clarke's men have been compared to the world's worst side..." (Record)

"I would imagine we will get more space in Scotland than we got in San Marino"

(Belgium just beat them 0-4)

Edited by exile

7 hours ago, exile said:

"Scotland get San Marino comparison as Belgium star delivers cutting verdict

Steve Clarke's men have been compared to the world's worst side..." (Record)

"I would imagine we will get more space in Scotland than we got in San Marino"

(Belgium just beat them 0-4)

It would be classic Scotland if we beat them tomorrow night, then lost to Russia and Cyprus away. 

If we win tomorrow, I'll be extremely depressed.

Pissed off because it would be incredibly Scottish to do that. Keep ourselves just in it when we should be out thinking/planning the playoff. Than false hope for October (where we'd get pumped in Moscow). 

We won't though, Belgium are too good. 

2 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Pissed off because it would be incredibly Scottish to do that. Keep ourselves just in it when we should be out thinking/planning the playoff. Than false hope for October (where we'd get pumped in Moscow). 

Play off time 

3 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Even if we somehow (And it won't happen) won against Belgium and then won in Moscow we will still need Russia to lose another two games.

I know you are just hypothesizing and realise it is over. We will lose tonight, Russia will win against Kazakhstan and that's it. Russia will most likely need to win 1 of their remaining 4 games (Scotland[H], Cyprus[A], Belgium[H], San Marino[A]). 

9 hours ago, infamous said:

Even if we somehow (And it won't happen) won against Belgium and then won in Moscow we will still need Russia to lose another two games.

I know you are just hypothesizing and realise it is over. We will lose tonight, Russia will win against Kazakhstan and that's it. Russia will most likely need to win 1 of their remaining 4 games (Scotland[H], Cyprus[A], Belgium[H], San Marino[A]). 

Throw the towel in.  Let's experiment with the remaining games to try and get a strong team. 

If we win tonight and then beat Russia by  better than 2-1 and then Belgium beat Russia away and we win our other remaining games we will finish 2nd. 

Lets be realistic though!!

Clarke needs to ensure he knows his best team for the play-off game(s) in March and look to build to that.

I agree that it’s (highly) unlikely that we will  beat Belgium and Russia but I was just clarifying the situation.

The odds on us beating them and then Belgium going to Moscow and winning also side us beating San Marino and Khaz would be about 500/1 if you had an acca on it which about sums up our chances.

17 hours ago, bonny78 said:

Play off is all we can think about now.  Anyone who thinks this group is still alive needs their head examined and a lesson in simple maths. 

The question was how could Scotland do better than San Marino? (even if it's a training match)

By playing a more open game and giving them more space, or do a better job of parking the bus?

2 hours ago, JandC said:

I agree that it’s (highly) unlikely that we will  beat Belgium and Russia but I was just clarifying the situation.

The odds on us beating them and then Belgium going to Moscow and winning also side us beating San Marino and Khaz would be about 500/1 if you had an acca on it which about sums up our chances.

Since there were earlier calls for a lesson in simple maths it's good to see someone trying to quantify the probability!

10 minutes ago, exile said:

The question was how could Scotland do better than San Marino? (even if it's a training match)

By playing a more open game and giving them more space, or do a better job of parking the bus?

San Marino is not a yardstick for us to compare ourselves to ta ver much x

3 hours ago, exile said:

It's a simple enough question. If you prefer, how do we do better than losing 0-4?

We tried playing football, but turns out we're no very good. Don't think we have a bus to park though. Maybe a pushchair and a tricycle?