Ryan Jack At Right Back Again For Belgium? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ryan Jack At Right Back Again For Belgium?

Guest ElChris04

Would You Play Ryan Jack RB Over O’Donnell?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One.

• Aye, Absolutely Worth A Shot
    • Naw, O’Donnell For Me Still

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/09/2019 at 05:30 PM

I don’t think it’s too harsh to say a player simply isn’t good enough....it’s not a personal attack, he’s an honest player who tries his hardest but he is not cut out for international level football. I was at the game on Friday night and while no one had a particularly good game, O’Donnell is just too slow and immobile, and in an attacking sense he slows down the tempo of the play too much.

Guest ElChris04
1 hour ago, SWMM82 said:

I don’t think it’s too harsh to say a player simply isn’t good enough....it’s not a personal attack, he’s an honest player who tries his hardest but he is not cut out for international level football. I was at the game on Friday night and while no one had a particularly good game, O’Donnell is just too slow and immobile, and in an attacking sense he slows down the tempo of the play too much.

This. 

16 hours ago, runningtings said:

O'Donnell just isn't good enough. His first touch is poor and he is just generally not sharp enough.

If you are using that to select your players you would need to drop the whole team. How about Robertson's first touch when he passed straight to the Russian guy for the first goal? And Robertson is the most technically gifted player in our squad.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

If you are using that to select your players you would need to drop the whole team. How about Robertson's first touch when he passed straight to the Russian guy for the first goal? And Robertson is the most technically gifted player in our squad.

I am using O'Donnell's performances in general, he is not good enough.

20 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

And you have the experience of ???? Either we back our managers decisions or we don't.  I hope he is in charge for the next ten years.  The qualifiers are tough but we have the play offs to look forward to.  Andy Robertson was correct in the pares this morning.  He hasn't got the understanding with the other players yet.  Hopefully that will come if the manager plays a regular team where they play as a team.  This is a learning curve for us.  I trust the manager to get it right.  Maybe some others on here should do the same.

I do, however O'Donnell is not good enough is my opinion based on playing low level football, doing my SFA coaching badges and following Scotland for a long time.

What is your experience please?

21 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

O’Donnell is just too slow and immobile, and in an attacking sense he slows down the tempo of the play too much.

Yet you're saying Tierney should be our 1st choice right back.

Every time Tierney's played there our right-side has stalled completely as he can't overlap and cross of his right foot. When the ball came to Tierney he 100% of the time stopped, turned inside and looked to pass to the center mid player. Zero forward momentum, zero pace out wide and zero attacking tempo on that flank.

I find it bizarre that the criticism levelled at O'Donnell (which is somewhat harsh taking in all his caps, not just Russia) is an apt description of the player you want to replace him with.

19 minutes ago, andyD said:

Yet you're saying Tierney should be our 1st choice right back.

Every time Tierney's played there our right-side has stalled completely as he can't overlap and cross of his right foot. When the ball came to Tierney he 100% of the time stopped, turned inside and looked to pass to the center mid player. Zero forward momentum, zero pace out wide and zero attacking tempo on that flank.

I find it bizarre that the criticism levelled at O'Donnell (which is somewhat harsh taking in all his caps, not just Russia) is an apt description of the player you want to replace him with.

You're correct about the momentum going forward but at the same time Tierney's simply  a much better defender on the right side than O'Donnell is.  I can't remember any games with Tierney at right back where we were badly exposed and cut open on the right (exactly like we were for Russia's 2nd).  

I've nothing against O'Donnell but unfortunately we need much much better than him right now.  I'm dreading watching him cope with the Belgians tonight.

5 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

You're correct about the momentum going forward but at the same time Tierney's simply  a much better defender on the right side than O'Donnell is.  I can't remember any games with Tierney at right back where we were badly exposed and cut open on the right (exactly like we were for Russia's 2nd).  

I've nothing against O'Donnell but unfortunately we need much much better than him right now.  I'm dreading watching him cope with the Belgians tonight.

I'd agree that Tierney is our most solid defensive option at right back. I'd probably have gone with him against Russia and Belgium if available. But we do need an alternative option for games where it's not backs to the wall. To me we've got a choice between O'Donnell and Palmer. Paterson's perhaps an option, but (like Jack) it's starting to be a very long time since he played a meaningful number of games at right back. The rest of our options are kids with potential, none of whom are playing at a high enough level to really be staking a serious claim. So it's O'Donnell or Palmer, not astounding players either of them, but the best options when Kazakhstan and Cyprus come around.

As for the 2nd goal.. The last person I'd blame there was O'Donnell.. there's 3 mistakes before the ball gets to the far post. McGregor's pass to Fraser was awful and left him far too much to do. Fraser's touch was risky and it didn't come off. He's better off putting it into the stand and shouting at McGregor not to make such awful passes. Once Russia is in possession, Cooper sees the runner coming and for some reason squares up to the passer, as if he's going to somehow cut it out. That makes it incredibly easy to roll it past him and guarantees that the Russian player gets to it first. And then they're in our area firing the ball across goal.. it's not O'Donnell's fault. Some might say he was too far up the pitch, but that's a rubbish argument too. We're 1-1 in a must win game, in comfortable possession with a midfielder on the ball in our own half. We should never ever turn over possession in that situation and the fullback is quite right to push forward looking to contribute to the attack.

On 9/8/2019 at 10:58 AM, ElChris04 said:

He’s played 9 times for Scotland. And every chance he’s been giving has been terrible. So no he’s already had his chances and failed,  And I would say the opposite, O’Donnell Has went under the radar a lot with a lot of fans where as a McBurnie hate bandwagon would ensue with him going under the raider. The first time I seen O’Donnell play for Scotland I knew he was terrible at international level. Let’s players skip with ease, always caught out of position. Stray passing. Can’t cope under pressure. Need I go on?

if anything it’s about time he’s received the rightfully deserved criticism. He’s been absolutely terrible with every chance giving and now it’s time to close the door on him with Scotland. He’s had his chances, 9 to be exact and every time he’s succeeded to be absolutely terrible. 

Forrest was shite for his first 20 odd caps, played two "good games" and now everyone wants to start him. Hes still pish!

On 9/8/2019 at 3:46 PM, Rolling hIlls said:

If fit Jack should be a certain starter anywhere on the park.   O'Donnel is being hung out to dry by the same old keyboard warriors that Strachan warned us about.  Greatest Tartan Army my erse.  I hope that laddie takes strength from the negativity from the KW that have never kicked a ball in their life.  Two cans of Kestrel and a wee whippet along with their keyboard.  Experts about all and sundry.  The internet has a lot to answer for.  Hopefully, like Neil Lennon, these guys are trained in how to deal with these folk (including most on here who weren't even at the game).  But that will be me just trolling again likely!  Scotland Forever.  And ever.

Anywhere on the park is a bit of a mental statement is it not?

7 hours ago, runningtings said:

I do, however O'Donnell is not good enough is my opinion based on playing low level football, doing my SFA coaching badges and following Scotland for a long time.

What is your experience please?

You are bragging about holding SFA coaching badges?  I wouldn't go there if I were you.  I coach two young teams at under 15 and under 18.  been asked to go do my SFA badges.  I can let you guess my reply.  Rather go over to Brussels on a cheap weekend, drink the monks beer  and ask the Belgians how they manage to be worlds apart from us with having a badge from Largs.  That a good enough answer?