Ryan Jack At Right Back Again For Belgium? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ryan Jack At Right Back Again For Belgium?

Guest ElChris04

Would You Play Ryan Jack RB Over O’Donnell?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One.

• Aye, Absolutely Worth A Shot
    • Naw, O’Donnell For Me Still

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/09/2019 at 05:30 PM

Guest ElChris04

It may seem like a crazy idea, But back in late 2017, we played a friendly against the Netherlands. Ryan Jack played right back, we did lose 1-0, but Jack definitely put in a fine performance, a performance at right back that’s better than any I’ve seen from our natural right back O’Donnell who’s been nothing short of horrendous and is way out of his depth at international level.

At this point I never want to see SOD name near the team again. Performance after performance is just terrible from him. And I feel he’s ran out of anymore Chances, it’s clear he’s nowhere good enough and he’s only getting in the team due to facilitating the 4 at the back role. The Group is gone for us, so why not try something that actually seemed decent first try and go with Jack RB? It may have been in late 2017 but back to the point, he put in a fine shift and with the group gone it's worth trying since O’Donnell is a non starter for me at all anymore, he’s had his chances and he’s been terrible at every one. 

24 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

It may seem like a crazy idea, But back in late 2017, we played a friendly against the Netherlands. Ryan Jack played right back, we did lose 1-0, but Jack definitely put in a fine performance, a performance at right back that’s better than any I’ve seen from our natural right back O’Donnell who’s been nothing short of horrendous and is way out of his depth at international level.

At this point I never want to see SOD name near the team again. Performance after performance is just terrible from him. And I feel he’s ran out of anymore Chances, it’s clear he’s nowhere good enough and he’s only getting in the team due to facilitating the 4 at the back role. The Group is gone for us, so why not try something that actually seemed decent first try and go with Jack RB? It may have been in late 2017 but back to the point, he put in a fine shift and with the group gone it's worth trying since O’Donnell is a non starter for me at all anymore, he’s had his chances and he’s been terrible at every one. 

Absolutely..... it’s through no lack of endeavour but O’Donnell just isn’t good enough, and any international team will exploit that as Russia did on Friday night.

It’s not an ideal situation, but I would definitely have Jack in at right back until Tierney gets fit. 

1 minute ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Give him a game and see what hes got, 

Just me who thinks this scapegoating of O'Donnell is a bit bandwagonesque? Everyone now jumping on the idea that he's simply not good enough, woeful even. I was at the game and, yeah, he wasn't great. But the whole team were poor. The other full-back was equally as bad and not one person would suggest he isn't good enough. I think we can do better than O'Donnell at RB but not right now. It seems like a witch hunt when he, and the rest, need support. He'll probably get booed now because everyone is getting in a frenzy about needing someone to blame.

I hope we have better options at RB soon, as I hope we have better options at centre forward and centre midfield and goalie. But O'Donnell is a decent player who has achieved much at club level, consistently playing well for the third best team in the country last season. I'd say back off and give the lad a chance.

O'Donnell looks so out of place in the team against the better sides. He's a player you want to do well but it's just a level too high for him.

I'd try Jack. He's plenty of experience in the role and seems to be having a decent season. He can't be any worse than SOD. 

Guest ElChris04
41 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Just me who thinks this scapegoating of O'Donnell is a bit bandwagonesque? Everyone now jumping on the idea that he's simply not good enough, woeful even. I was at the game and, yeah, he wasn't great. But the whole team were poor. The other full-back was equally as bad and not one person would suggest he isn't good enough. I think we can do better than O'Donnell at RB but not right now. It seems like a witch hunt when he, and the rest, need support. He'll probably get booed now because everyone is getting in a frenzy about needing someone to blame.

I hope we have better options at RB soon, as I hope we have better options at centre forward and centre midfield and goalie. But O'Donnell is a decent player who has achieved much at club level, consistently playing well for the third best team in the country last season. I'd say back off and give the lad a chance.

He’s played 9 times for Scotland. And every chance he’s been giving has been terrible. So no he’s already had his chances and failed,  And I would say the opposite, O’Donnell Has went under the radar a lot with a lot of fans where as a McBurnie hate bandwagon would ensue with him going under the raider. The first time I seen O’Donnell play for Scotland I knew he was terrible at international level. Let’s players skip with ease, always caught out of position. Stray passing. Can’t cope under pressure. Need I go on?

if anything it’s about time he’s received the rightfully deserved criticism. He’s been absolutely terrible with every chance giving and now it’s time to close the door on him with Scotland. He’s had his chances, 9 to be exact and every time he’s succeeded to be absolutely terrible. 

14 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

He’s played 9 times for Scotland. And every chance he’s been giving has been terrible. So no he’s already had his chances and failed,  And I would say the opposite, O’Donnell Has went under the radar a lot with a lot of fans where as a McBurnie hate bandwagon would ensue with him going under the raider. The first time I seen O’Donnell play for Scotland I knew he was terrible at international level. Let’s players skip with ease, always caught out of position. Stray passing. Can’t cope under pressure. Need I go on?

if anything it’s about time he’s received the rightfully deserved criticism. He’s been absolutely terrible with every chance giving and now it’s time to close the door on him with Scotland. He’s had his chances, 9 to be exact and every time he’s succeeded to be absolutely terrible. 

Does that include the time he was given the man of the match award? Aye, please do go on...

He's not Danny McGrain but that's hardly the guy's fault.  If he looked uncomfortable in possession the other night it's maybe cos he had absolutely b*gger all in front of him offering themselves.  At one point in the 1st half he had a right go at Forrest who'd turned his back and ran up the park leaving him with no out ball.

I actually seen a post on FB where he was getting blamed for the 2nd goal cos he was on the halfway line!  Er... we were building an attack and his captain was even further forward on the opposite flank. There then followed a hospital pass from Callum McGregor and a so-called centre-half getting done up like a kipper with a simple pass dinked in behind him.  Still, it was all the fault of the guy who burst a gut trying to get all the way back to prevent a situation he had nothing to do with.  :rolleyes: 

I'm all for trying someone else there though.  Let's see if they'll do any better.

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

Agreed. 

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think he’s good enough but based on international performances most of the team aren’t. 

We have deeper problems than a bad right back. 

I normally love a bit of Bandwagonesque (Not quite as much as Grand Prix) but I'd give Jack a go just to try our options. O'Donnell's not great but we shouldn't destroy a player who gives his all but is only there because we have no better options.

We won't qualify through the group. We now have a series of games to work out our best options and I'd like to see us try them out.

26 minutes ago, albathebrave said:

Jobs for the boys act from Clarke,  hes simply not good enough, Jack is simply the best for the role.

Jobs for the boys? Previous managers picked odonnell too, was that jobs for the boys? 

1 hour ago, albathebrave said:

previous managers tried him out Clarke is handing kilmarnock players caps like killie pies!

O'Donnell when there's a shortage of right-backs, Brophy when there were hardly any other forward alternatives and Taylor when our 2 first choice left-backs were missing.

Aye like Killie pies right enough.  Next we'll be singing Paper Roses as our anthem.  :rolleyes: 

If fit Jack should be a certain starter anywhere on the park.   O'Donnel is being hung out to dry by the same old keyboard warriors that Strachan warned us about.  Greatest Tartan Army my erse.  I hope that laddie takes strength from the negativity from the KW that have never kicked a ball in their life.  Two cans of Kestrel and a wee whippet along with their keyboard.  Experts about all and sundry.  The internet has a lot to answer for.  Hopefully, like Neil Lennon, these guys are trained in how to deal with these folk (including most on here who weren't even at the game).  But that will be me just trolling again likely!  Scotland Forever.  And ever.

3 minutes ago, runningtings said:

O'Donnell just isn't good enough. His first touch is poor and he is just generally not sharp enough.

For Monday I'd get Jack in yes, in the longer run I'd get Tierney at RB.

And you have the experience of ???? Either we back our managers decisions or we don't.  I hope he is in charge for the next ten years.  The qualifiers are tough but we have the play offs to look forward to.  Andy Robertson was correct in the pares this morning.  He hasn't got the understanding with the other players yet.  Hopefully that will come if the manager plays a regular team where they play as a team.  This is a learning curve for us.  I trust the manager to get it right.  Maybe some others on here should do the same.