Hope - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hope

jamboman

Since this campaign is done but we still have the playoffs, should we draft in some young guys who may be in the squads for the world cup campaign.. Im thinking Micky johnston, David turnbull, Billy gilmore maybe. 

Just to get them around the squad, they dont have to be chucked in to play

I agree if they can be better than what we have and can get up to speed by March.  I reckon we have a young squad already, I don't see any elder's to move on other than our keeper and Mulgrew.  I would say Naismith's spot is up for grabs though. 

I wouldn't be averse to calling up Mikey Johnston and Billy Gilmour for the two games in November.

If Fraser Hornby is scoring goals in Belgium by then he should be considered too. Frankly, we are so desperate for strikers that I would also consider Lawrence Shankland.

We need to give the other goalies McLaughlin and MacGillivray two or three games each at some point to see if they can handle it.

Johnston and Gilmour have potential but are they instantly going to improve our team... I'm not so sure. Our defence is the biggest problem, it is so poor with literally no top young Defenders coming through. McKenna and Souttar will be lucky to amount to English Championship Defenders and the next batch below them are much the same. Absolutely zero strikers either, having to resort to Matt Phillips is just so so desperate. We only have two half decent strikers Griffiths and McBurnie and again they are good English Championship standard strikers, and McBurnie just doesn't have the right attributes to play up top on his own. It's a sort of shrug your shoulders and accept where we are at right now unfortunately. And a squad full have decent Midfielders a top class left back and half decent centre half's and strikers just can't compete with the top countries. It is what it is

We always have good young players and they often never become as good as they might have. Many reasons (Scottish bevvy culture being one).

I think there is something amiss behind the scenes. They'd better get it sorted. Next matches will see the call-offs resume, the fans are drifting away and the fans of the you-know-who two will increasingly start scoffing at Scotland and demand that their players not be chossen.

Hope? Don' t see any.

30 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Johnston and Gilmour have potential but are they instantly going to improve our team... I'm not so sure. 

It's highly unlike they would instantly improve things.

But what's the harm in calling Johnston and Gilmour up to train with the senior team and maybe make a late substitute appearance ? I don't see the harm in it.

Same to goes for David Turnbull (when he returns from inury), Glenn Middleton, Lewis Ferguson, Ross McCrorie, Fraser Hornby & Tom McIntyre.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

19 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

We always have good young players and they often never become as good as they might have. Many reasons (Scottish bevvy culture being one).

I think there is something amiss behind the scenes. They'd better get it sorted. Next matches will see the call-offs resume, the fans are drifting away and the fans of the you-know-who two will increasingly start scoffing at Scotland and demand that their players not be chossen.

Hope? Don' t see any.

Good cause apart from Ryan Christie they're all shite . Callum McGregor has been shocking these last 2 games 

Hope indeed is necessary when it comes to Scotland. I put quite a bit of faith in the performance schools and I’m certain the younger players have consistently better technique than previous generations, although I’m not yet sure if they have the fighting qualities. What is encouraging is that their schooling seems to have made them fiercely patriotic and desperate to play for Scotland. That we have had a team of smallish players in terms of stature dominating and beating the top teams in Europe in recent years at youth level gives me hope that when they mature we’ll be in a good place.

Defensively the top team is in a bit of a mess and I’m now wondering whether we need to wait for Morrison of Bayern and Leon King of Rangers to emerge, both seen as outstanding prospects. Do Souttar and McKenna have enough to get us through the next 4 or 5 years? 

Midfield with Gilmour, Turnbull, McTominay and Christie seems promising and there are a good few more on the horizon that look very promising. Up front we need to pin a lot of hopes on Hornby and Rudden emerging in the next couple of years.

We can still qualify and give the nation a lift, but I am optimistic that there will be a jump in quality on the horizon, even if i wouldn’t put my mortgage on it. 

19 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Hope indeed is necessary when it comes to Scotland. I put quite a bit of faith in the performance schools and I’m certain the younger players have consistently better technique than previous generations, although I’m not yet sure if they have the fighting qualities. What is encouraging is that their schooling seems to have made them fiercely patriotic and desperate to play for Scotland. That we have had a team of smallish players in terms of stature dominating and beating the top teams in Europe in recent years at youth level gives me hope that when they mature we’ll be in a good place.

Defensively the top team is in a bit of a mess and I’m now wondering whether we need to wait for Morrison of Bayern and Leon King of Rangers to emerge, both seen as outstanding prospects. Do Souttar and McKenna have enough to get us through the next 4 or 5 years? 

Midfield with Gilmour, Turnbull, McTominay and Christie seems promising and there are a good few more on the horizon that look very promising. Up front we need to pin a lot of hopes on Hornby and Rudden emerging in the next couple of years.

We can still qualify and give the nation a lift, but I am optimistic that there will be a jump in quality on the horizon, even if i wouldn’t put my mortgage on it. 

I think there is hope in that now some of the biggest clubs in Europe are picking up our top talent. Gilmour and Morrison are two examples of this, Hickey also being linked with Man City. 

In an ideal world they would develop in Scotland and improve the quality of the domestic game, but as long as clubs put their faith more in journeymen and loan signings, lack of opportunities will always stifle them.

Ryan Porteous will definitely come into contention as well. And hopefully Hickey can develop into a top right back.

14 minutes ago, slasher said:

I admire the optimism lads, I really do, but I don't share it. Another humping, another inquest but nothing really changes. Repeating the same mistakes over and over is a sure sign of insanity. 

Not gonna lie what little optimism i have had is slowly draining, but am still hopeful the Performance Schools will reap rewards over next few years. Been running for 7 years now and the first batch of kids are coming through.

Edited by SWMM82

2 hours ago, slasher said:

I admire the optimism lads, I really do, but I don't share it. Another humping, another inquest but nothing really changes. Repeating the same mistakes over and over is a sure sign of insanity. 

That is true, but it’s not a repeat as the performance schools are only just coming to fruition. It is not possible to speed up time. I can’t say for sure they’ll work but it is ridiculous to right them off before they’ve had a chance to work. Gilmour was in year 1 and is now 18, as I understand it.

If we’re still having inquests 3 years from now, they’ll have failed and that’s when it’s time to rip it up and start again. 

3 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

I think there is hope in that now some of the biggest clubs in Europe are picking up our top talent. Gilmour and Morrison are two examples of this, Hickey also being linked with Man City. 

In an ideal world they would develop in Scotland and improve the quality of the domestic game, but as long as clubs put their faith more in journeymen and loan signings, lack of opportunities will always stifle them.

Ryan Porteous will definitely come into contention as well. And hopefully Hickey can develop into a top right back.

Ryan porteous is supposed to be real talent at centre back, let's hope he's the answer to our prayers.

For anyone clamouring for the U21s being drafted in they are live on YouTube right now v Croatia. It is like watching the full team again. Absolutely in no way shape or form has the style evolved with modern football. A lot of running around, couple of boys getting stuck in and the occasional lump up the park to the big striker. I thought the style of football had changed at youth level, I actually seen it first hand watching the u19s not so long ago v Spain where they passed Spain of the park. Why do we just throw all this out the window when we get to games that matter. In the first 25 mins I haven't saw one decent period of play from the u21s tonight

To make matters worse we are lining up with a 5-4-1!! My understanding through the youth levels is we play a quick passing style 4-3-3 formation. How are we ever going to have an identity if it gets thrown out the window the higher the levels we go. Playing 5 at the back in a youth game is scandalous. Give the boys freedom let them play ffs

14 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

For anyone clamouring for the U21s being drafted in they are live on YouTube right now v Croatia. It is like watching the full team again. Absolutely in no way shape or form has the style evolved with modern football. A lot of running around, couple of boys getting stuck in and the occasional lump up the park to the big striker. I thought the style of football had changed at youth level, I actually seen it first hand watching the u19s not so long ago v Spain where they passed Spain of the park. Why do we just throw all this out the window when we get to games that matter. In the first 25 mins I haven't saw one decent period of play from the u21s tonight

5 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

To make matters worse we are lining up with a 5-4-1!! My understanding through the youth levels is we play a quick passing style 4-3-3 formation. How are we ever going to have an identity if it gets thrown out the window the higher the levels we go. Playing 5 at the back in a youth game is scandalous. Give the boys freedom let them play ffs

Your ignoring the fact that they are missing a couple of their best players.

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

Your ignoring the fact that they are missing a couple of their best players.

And why on earth should that alter their style of play?? A style and identity should be ingrained on all the players at youth level. It shouldn't matter who drops out someone else should be able to come in and know exactly how to play the system. They are missing Billy Gilmour and Mikey Johnston. They have Stephen Kelly and Glenn Middleton on the bench.... Like for like

10 minutes ago, hoofitharder said:

Karlan Grant at Huddersfield qualifies for us through his Scottish mother. 21year old striker 6foot. He hasn't played many games but has a decent scoring record. Has to be one to watch

That was already posted on here a few weeks ago.

You might want to do a google search on Grant's current legal troubles. If he's found guilty then he won't be playing football anymore.

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Arrested in Ibiza last year on suspicion of sexual assault. Investigation ongoing.

We can't call up anyone with that hanging over them.

I hadn't realised it was still ongoing.with Huddersfield signing him I assumed (wrongly) it was finished with.