Club v Country - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Club v Country

Jim Beem

17 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

International football is 100% dominated by money and the eligibility thing has been stretched to ridiculous levels. 

I watch my team pretty much always at 3pm on a Saturday. When do Scotland play now ? Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays etc. Utterly ridiculous. All because of money. 

As daft as international eligibility may be, you still only have at your disposal players with a Scottish link, whereas with club football you can buy literally any player on earth that your club can afford. So from this point of view, supporting a club team is basically just supporting a business.

Maybe because I support a wee team, Airdrie, but nah this is totally different for me. 

Scotland games matter to me far, far more than club games. Airdrie losing, well, that's the way the mop flops. Scotland losing is gut wrenching, particularly when we play poorly and don't deserve anything; when there's nothing to be proud of, nor pleased about. 

The build up to Scotland games, the squad announcement, match days, planning away trips, away trips themselves, I fucking love it.  A great chance to see places in Europe, some of the bigger places, some places you otherwise wouldn't ever go to. The atmosphere, the singing, the dancing, the laughs. It's addictive and I can't see anything ever keeping me from going along. Hell, i'm gutted I cannae go to Russia away and need to wait for Cyprus before my next away game, especially having missed Kazakhstan. Funnily enough, everyone who actually went to Astana seems to have the same refrain; '90 minutes aside, it was brilliant'. 

I'll be there tonight, i'll be watching the Russia away game and I'll be in the stands for the San Marino match. I'm buzzing to be booked up for Cyprus away, a beautiful wee island for yet another Scotland adventure. And i'll be there for the other games and then for the playoff. 

I suppose this must make me a 'happy clapper', in spite of my vehement disappointment in the stand on Friday night. That's fine, Maybe I am. Nonetheless, I saw a flag the other day. 'For the love, not the glory'. That sums it up rather neatly, I think. Those that follow Scotland expecting results are on a hiding to nothing. Those who only go, or are only wanting to go, if and when we are doing well... good luck to you. Enjoy the saved money. But in spite of the results, I for one certainly will keep going for as long as the good bits of the whole experience outweighs the bad, at least in my eyes.

The club game in general, though, doesn't appeal much to me. I mean, it's fine. I love football. Especially scottish football. But even so, SPL, epl, even the vaunted Champions league; it just doesn't have the same magic for me. Hell, I find the epl and champions league pretty abhorrent. Millionaire players that are pawns in the dick measuring contests of billionaires. Fucking whoopee. 

What does surprise me, though, is the amount of folk who decry internationals, who mock it and hate the international break... until it's euros or World Cup time, where they are all glued to their TV sets. The World Cup is still the biggest game in town, football wise. That says something. 

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:34 AM, todd said:

I'm the same, club football seems a lot like just supporting a franchise.

Club football for me every time.

Supporting my local team, following them everywhere. Mates I've met through Killie are now some of my oldest and closest pals. Real community spirit, I've seen mates sons play at yough level for us, i''ve seen weans my mum and sister taught play for us (and Scotland as well granted), I've bumped into neighbours at Dingwall on a Tuesday night, seen my club bring back both National Cups to the town and paraded them hours after winning them with thousands on the streets and party's going on for days.

I was at a 150 year anniversary dance on Saturday, had a drink with guys who were my dad's hero's growing up, others who were my hero's and many of whom are all best of pals to these days as part of that "francise"

I've protested against board members, I've joined the Killie Trust, I've more emotional attachment than i'll ever have for Scotland and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

I'll always go to Scotland games, i'll be there tonight through habit more than anything else, however I doubt i'll ever feel the highs and lows watching Scotland like I do watching Killie.

3 hours ago, Dogbiscuit said:

As daft as international eligibility may be, you still only have at your disposal players with a Scottish link, whereas with club football you can buy literally any player on earth that your club can afford. So from this point of view, supporting a club team is basically just supporting a business.

Supporting the National team is like supporting a brazers day out.

At least the guys in charge of Scottish clubs put money INTO the game.

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

The club game in general, though, doesn't appeal much to me. I mean, it's fine. I love football. Especially scottish football. But even so, SPL, epl, even the vaunted Champions league; it just doesn't have the same magic for me. Hell, I find the epl and champions league pretty abhorrent. Millionaire players that are pawns in the dick measuring contests of billionaires. Fucking whoopee. 

I had more enjoyment following Killie home & away last season than i've had in 25+ years of following Scotland home  and 15+ years of following us away and over 30 trips.

Even the atmosphere at Scotland games (home and away) is utter piss and not a patch on what it was even 10 years ago.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I had more enjoyment following Killie home & away last season than i've had in 25+ years of following Scotland home  and 15+ years of following us away and over 30 trips.

Even the atmosphere at Scotland games (home and away) is utter piss and not a patch on what it was even 10 years ago.

And that's fantastic for you. I'm not saying there is anything wrong or bad about that. 

Hell, maybe if my club experience was like yours, and/or I'd been following Scotland as long as you had, i'd feel the same as you.

But it isn't, I haven't and I don't. 

Club for me nowadays.  Still watch the games, but the atmosphere generally at home is rotten, boring, repetitive, away trips got less and less fun over the years with more and more idiots attending.  I enjoy watching from the armchair or in the pub now.  May go back regular, but doubt it.

National side for me but I'm pretty much like a junky in Boots waiting on their methadone these days as the original high is long gone and it's now just a sad decent including having to buy clothing from JD Sports.

However I may finally have kicked it as Only Connect and a Nazi documentary are on that fancy watching instead.

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Club football for me every time.

Supporting my local team, following them everywhere. Mates I've met through Killie are now some of my oldest and closest pals. Real community spirit, I've seen mates sons play at yough level for us, i''ve seen weans my mum and sister taught play for us (and Scotland as well granted), I've bumped into neighbours at Dingwall on a Tuesday night, seen my club bring back both National Cups to the town and paraded them hours after winning them with thousands on the streets and party's going on for days.

I was at a 150 year anniversary dance on Saturday, had a drink with guys who were my dad's hero's growing up, others who were my hero's and many of whom are all best of pals to these days as part of that "francise"

I've protested against board members, I've joined the Killie Trust, I've more emotional attachment than i'll ever have for Scotland and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

I'll always go to Scotland games, i'll be there tonight through habit more than anything else, however I doubt i'll ever feel the highs and lows watching Scotland like I do watching Killie.

I'm very happy for you 

No international break when you support a Junior team.

This weekend, Scotland lose 1-2 and 0-4 at home, while Kirkie Rob Roy lose 0-1, at home - seven league defeats out of seven.

Club v Country? Excruciating 0-0 draw for me at the moment.

Praise the Lord for the women's team (Scotland, no' KRR who haven't got one).

Used to be Country over Club, get much more enjoyment watching my club team nowadays (Clyde), didn't even go on Monday night (and I have bought the season book), also find a good few of the fans that go to the Scotland games are more interested in the "party" than the actual fitbaw !!

They’re different.

Tend to make more of an occasion of a Scotland game. Perhaps if my club side were regularly playing big games in Europe it would be different?

What I would say is that outwith tournaments and Scotland, international football doesn’t really excite or interest me.

I’ve watched 2 games in this week of football. Our 2.

2 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

also find a good few of the fans that go to the Scotland games are more interested in the "party" than the actual fitbaw !!

Easily - that's one of my annoyances about the Scotland support.

A lot of folk don't seem to care if we lose at games, it's little wonder the SFA get such an easy side.

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Easily - that's one of my annoyances about the Scotland support.

A lot of folk don't seem to care if we lose at games, it's little wonder the SFA get such an easy side.

Totally agree. Especially the away crowd. Its been a gradual slide over the last 10-15 years. Really embarrassing.