Club v Country - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Club v Country

Jim Beem

Pretty much given up on Scotland these days. Despite some of the worst few years lately following United, Ive still found club football miles superior to following Scotland. It really is a poor experience. International football in general I find less and less appealing for some reason but Scotland have taken it to new depths. Had the game on last night but only really in the background.  stopped attending a few years back and struggle to even watch on TV 🙈

I honestly cant see it changing in my lifetime  

Edited by Jim Beem

6 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Pretty much given up on Scotland these days. Despite some of the worst few years lately following United, Ive still found club football miles superior to following Scotland. It really is a poor experience. International football in general I find less and less appealing for some reason but Scotland have taken it to new depths. Had the game on last night but only really in the background.  stopped attending a few years back and struggle to even watch on TV 🙈

I'm losing interest in both Aberdeen and scotland. I'd rather follow the highland league and go to HL  matches when visiting home.

I find the SPFL to be a laughing stock nowdays. They've got what they want again, 4 OF derbies each year.

As for scotland, I'm glad I live doon sooth as I'd probably have ended up at hampden last night.

10 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Why do you think that is? I mean what is different about the experience of following an under-achieving club versus following an under-achieving country? 

There's nothing like going to Hampden and seeing a great Scotland performance with a full stadium. There's nthing worse than going to Hampden and watching a terrible Scotland performance.

But, then, that's not much different from following your club. Kirkie ROb Roy have lost their first 7 league games this season, which may be a record for us...

5 hours ago, exile said:

Why do you think that is? I mean what is different about the experience of following an under-achieving club versus following an under-achieving country? 

Decent  question.

I still feel a part of my club., even when we are shite and in the hands of complete wanks. The fans, the players etc. Or at least some of them. There is and  always be an emotional attachment.  Just don’t have that with Scotland to be honest. Surprised myself but thats the way it is

4 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

I read somewhere, maybe on here actually, that the SRU sold more tickets for the rugby friendly against Georgia on Friday than the SFA sold for a vital competitive fixture. Beyond belief really  

Just goes to show what a few years of actually winning matches can do for you. I remember about 10 years ago when Scotland couldn't even score a single try in the Six Nations, and they were just so brutal to watch. Then all of a sudden we're playing thrilling rugby and beating England. 

I hold out hope that the same will happen for the football team, but I thinks it's still some years away. 

4 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Decent  question.

I still feel a part of my club., even when we are shite and in the hands of complete wanks. The fans, the players etc. Or at least some of them. There is and  always be an emotional attachment.  Just don’t have that with Scotland to be honest. Surprised myself but thats the way it is

I'm the opposite. I have this feeling for Scotland, but not for any club. I fell out of love with my boyhood club because I can't be arsed with all the nonsense associated with them, and now I really just support any club with a Scotland international. This means I support loads of clubs, but don't feel particularly emotional about any individual one of them. 

2 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Just goes to show what a few years of actually winning matches can do for you. I remember about 10 years ago when Scotland couldn't even score a single try in the Six Nations, and they were just so brutal to watch. Then all of a sudden we're playing thrilling rugby and beating England. 

I hold out hope that the same will happen for the football team, but I thinks it's still some years 

Like the rugby fans, the football fans will flock back when the team competes, it's not necessarily about winning, it's more about competing.

The governing body also has to be sending out the right signals and be seen to be working hard to get that competitive team out there. You can say the SRU have done and are continuing to do this, can we say the same about the inept and bias SFA? 

Just to add further, years and years of call offs by players for no real reason will filter out to fans, why should fans care if players dont?

Watch the rugby players, their passion for scotland from the anthem to the final whistle is completely different to that of of the scottish football players.

5 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

I'm the opposite. I have this feeling for Scotland, but not for any club. I fell out of love with my boyhood club because I can't be arsed with all the nonsense associated with them, and now I really just support any club with a Scotland international. This means I support loads of clubs, but don't feel particularly emotional about any individual one of them. 

I'm the same, club football seems a lot like just supporting a franchise.

I went for about 11 years but chucked about 4 years ago and have no plans to return any time soon.

It's not necessarily the results that piss me off but the fact that we have not evolved in style or approach in the last 15-20 years. In that time the game has changed so much and the focus for almost all decent international teams is technically based where possession is king and is supplemented by innovative tactics and players are challenged by their management to take on board detailed approaches to games.

You've got to be technically astute to do that but more importantly you've got to have intelligence to do that. Our players have not displayed consistent in game intelligence for years, that might change as more and more of them play under better coaches. Either way, these days I barely watch Scotland and can't wait for the international break to be over.

4 hours ago, todd said:

I'm the same, club football seems a lot like just supporting a franchise.

Outside maybe half a dozen clubs in the UK I find that a surprising comment. Loads of clubs out there with their routes firmly in the community, very easy for it to be a part of your life. I think you must be supporting the wrong teams 😂 

2 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Outside maybe half a dozen clubs in the UK I find that a surprising comment. Loads of clubs out there with their routes firmly in the community, very easy for it to be a part of your life. I think you must be supporting the wrong teams 😂 

Yeh but at the end of the day it's all about money and what players you can afford. It's just a big business. With international football it's different because the only players you have at your disposal are the ones eligible to play for their country.

29 minutes ago, Dogbiscuit said:

Yeh but at the end of the day it's all about money and what players you can afford. It's just a big business. With international football it's different because the only players you have at your disposal are the ones eligible to play for their country.

International football is 100% dominated by money and the eligibility thing has been stretched to ridiculous levels. 

I watch my team pretty much always at 3pm on a Saturday. When do Scotland play now ? Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays etc. Utterly ridiculous. All because of money. 

Edited by Jim Beem

6 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

International football is 100% dominated by money and the eligibility thing has been stretched to ridiculous levels. 

I watch my team pretty much always at 3pm on a Saturday. When do Scotland play now ? Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays etc. Utterly ridiculous. All because of money. 

Who's your club team jim? Must be lower league if you get 3pm kick offs on a saturday regularly.

All football is about money now. The sporting part of football is an after thought to those in charge