Scotland vs Russia [06/09/2019] - Match Thread - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Russia [06/09/2019] - Match Thread

Clyde1998

Teams like us don't deserve to be at major tournaments, yet thanks to the ridiculous nations league and subsequent play offs, we might just get there along with a few others and completely dilute the quality of the competition, it's ridiculous.

did those players really freeze after taking the lead? There are players in that team who deal with much tougher pressure situations on a weekly basis. 

Last night was hardly a cauldron of pressure.

id question their desire to do it for Scotland because the players I watched last night weren’t the same players I see performing at their clubs with the exception of Marshall and Christie. Christie doesn’t seem to care who he plays, he plays with no fear and more composure that all of his team mates.

o’donnell is the only player I’d give the excuse of freezing in a pressure situation but to be fair the lad is just not good enough.

26 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

did those players really freeze after taking the lead? There are players in that team who deal with much tougher pressure situations on a weekly basis. 

id question their desire to do it for Scotland because the players I watched last night weren’t the same players I see performing at their clubs with the exception of Marshall and Christie. Christie doesn’t seem to care who he plays, he plays with no fear and more composure that all of his team mates.

o’donnell is the only player I’d give the excuse of freezing in a pressure situation but to be fair the lad is just not good enough.

O'Donnell didn't freeze, he's just not good enough

He got plaudits in the Albania game cause he ran about a lot

You need more than that at this level 

Edited by Bino's

1 hour ago, infamous said:

The funny thing is we are tied with them on the FIFA Rankings. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Russia
Euro 2008 - 3rd
World Cup 2010 - DNQ
Euro 2012 - 9th 
World Cup 2014 - 24th
Euro 2016 - 23rd
World Cup 2018 - 8th 
Euro 2020 - Qualified(likely)

Scotland
Euro 2008 - DNQ
World Cup 2010 - DNQ
Euro 2012 - DNQ
World Cup 2014- DNQ
Euro 2016 - DNQ
World Cup 2018 - DNQ
Euro 2020 - Playoff

Andre arshavin euros and own world cup aside they are horseshit

We are worse

10 hours ago, dandydunn said:

I’ve said that since his debut, but apparently because he was with the all conquering killie last season, his selection was justified. 

Hes never a footballer, never mind an international one. 

Exactly. His first touch and control were awful last night. Worst of a very poor bunch. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I honestly don't think they froze, feel they fought, just faced a better side who turned it on when they needed to. 

We allowed ourselves to get pinned back and had no out ball. The goals were always going to come playing that way.

Naive is how I would describe and very brittle at the back. Sure we have plenty of talent in midfield but that is immaterial if you canmot play out from the back through the midfield.

To be honest since the Kazakhstan loss I always felt our only path through would be the Nations League play-off route.

36 minutes ago, Saint4805 said:

There is a clearly a mental/bottle issue that Clarke needs to work on. Started brightly and then looked scared and vulnerable after we took the lead. 

I am not sure its bottle that is the issue. They need to find defenders with composure on the ball. Not ones who will hack the ball clear to nobody in particular and invite more pressure. That was the big issue last night. We sunk deeper and deeper because we were clearing the ball anywhere and when you defend so deep the ball is only going to come back at you.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am not sure its bottle that is the issue. They need to find defenders with composure on the ball. Not ones who will hack the ball clear to nobody in particular and invite more pressure. That was the big issue last night. We sunk deeper and deeper because we were clearing the ball anywhere and when you defend so deep the ball is only going to come back at you.

Composure on the ball = bottle

I have some sympathy for Mulgrew who gamely whacked it with his right foot through no choice of his own. 

I’d get Gilmour in to take it off the centre halves since no one else had the gumption to do so. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

9 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Was Ryan Fraser carrying an injury ? Something wasn't right about him.

Meanwhile James Forrest is back to his old ineffective self.

Ryan Christie definitely has to start from now on.

Can’t mind if it was the lead up to their second goal but there was one moment he  could barely run back and looked injured 

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

Composure on the ball = bottle

I have some sympathy for Mulgrew who gamely whacked it with his right foot through no choice of his own. 

No composure is different to bottle in my eyes. Virtually same set of players showed bottle to come back in dying minutes to get winner against Cyprus.

Inevitably our defence will get some stick but that brutal from about 20 minutes until 75 mins when they took the foot off the gas. 

Our centre backs looked comfortable on the ball at the start but as soon as they upped the tempo and started pressing higher up we basically crumbled and couldn’t keep the ball. 

Midfield was chasing shadows and couldn’t find each other. 

Burnie got shite service and was isolated.

They pushed us and we never recovered 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

Considering the midfield is the area of the park where we are actually strong and have options I think it was a pretty depressing night. 

Other problems like the RB, centre half’s and strikers are clear as day but last night it was really disappointing to see the midfield completely hide after we went a goal up. Nobody showed for the ball. Nobody was willing to be brave and take it into feet. (Except Christie when he came on and maybe Fraser in flashes). 

It really showed that we need a midfielder in the Ferguson/Brown mould who can really take grip of a game and control it. None of the current blend are up to that. I think the hope is that McTominay will grow into that player but he doesn’t look like it just now. 

That's a good question bonzo.  I dont know the answer but I watched the guy make little attempt at a shot with no power yet again , the same way I watched him let 3 go past when we played Germany in 2015 that cost us dearly. It didn't work with Strachan and it wont  work now

Edited by JM78
Spelling mistake

9 hours ago, scotlad said:

I've held the opinion for a while that we'll qualify for a tournament when we deserve to. Unfortunately I don't think we're at that stage yet.

There have been better Finland teams than the one we might face in the play-offs and far better Bulgaria teams but I wouldn't fancy this Scotland team to go to Helsinki or Sofia and win, no way.

If we did somehow manage to sneak into the finals of a major tournament I imagine we'd resemble the Republic of Ireland in Euro 2012 or even Panama in last year's World Cup.

They don't have to go to Helsinki or Sofia, we play them at Hampden. If, by some miracle, we actually managed to beat one of them, then we might need to play the final away from home. But we could get the final at home as well. Based on last night's performance, I'm not even confident we can even beat Kazakhstan or even San Marino at Hampden.

15 minutes ago, bonzo said:

So who would you suggest?

Unfortunately the best one who is eligible doesn't want to play for us. At the minute, if Angus Gunn doesn't change his mind, Marshall is about as good as we've got.

I didn't watch the game last night but its not just the defence. I'm worried that we still haven't got the balance of the midfield right and as others have said we're crying out for a Brown or Ferguson type player who will offer leadership and/or a Lambert/Ferguson type player who will just keep possession and add some composure.  Often those qualities come with age and experience so it remains to be seen if any of yesterdays midfield will develop those qualities.  Stevie Clarke was a clear favourite amongst supporters to get the job but miracles aren't going to happen overnight.