Scotland vs Russia [06/09/2019] - Match Thread - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Russia [06/09/2019] - Match Thread

Clyde1998

We were lucky to only lose 1-2 to be honest. Having watched most qualifying games in our group, I would say that was the poorest the Russia side has looked and they still seemed quiet comfortable and unlucky not to win by more.

We are simply awful, but somewhat expected. I actually thought we might grab a draw today going into it. Typical delusion.

35 minutes ago, macy37 said:

We are a total fucking backwater football wise. So far off the pace it’s laughable. Granted I only switched in at 25 minutes in but we have been 2nd best by a long distance here and it’s Russia we are playing not a super power. 

Not a superpower that's for sure. Criminally underachieving though, the entire squad pretty much plays for top sides in Europe's sixth best league. Regularly make major tournaments, have a good run occasionally too (Euro 2008 - Semi Final, World Cup 2018 Quarter Final). 

Funny they didn't even call up their leading goal scorer (Chalov) for the match. 

28 minutes ago, tjm007 said:

Perhaps Alex McLeish wasn’t the problem after all.

Clarke ain’t the messiah - Joe average working with dross.

Anyone who thought he was that is clueless, and anyone who thought simply changing manager would magically turn everything around is deluded beyond belief.

That said, he got his tactics wrong tonight. If I had one major reservation about Clarke as a manager it's that his teams tended to play on the counter. Scotland aren't equipped to do that. We looked better when we attacked but we just aren't good enough to build from the back.

3 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

As much as this pains me from a club perspective to say, Jack needs to play right back. 

Unless Clarke sounds out Fredericks (and the answer could be no), we really haven't got much at right back apart from Ryan Jack.  I can't see Liam Palmer being the answer and Tierney and Paterson are injured with question marks about the latter's ability as a defender.

7 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Kris Boyd “centre halves were poor, Dyzuba is what, 5ft 6”?”  Dyzuba is 6ft 5”. What a feckin’ moron.

The centre halves weren't great but they dont deserve to be singled out.

I find it embarrassing that sky cant find a better calibre of pundit than kris boyd. Its emabarrasing listening to his drivel 

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

He may well have been.

He does not deserve to be singled out in isolation though

Does he?:.

He doesn't if someone is trying to blame him for the loss, he doesn't deserve that type of criticism but he was our worst player tonight so he will get stick and deservedly so, they all deserve stick for tonight .

Edited by vanderark14

5 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Stuck on one of they 'express' buses back from Hampden feeling miserable. What are Belgium going to do to us? What will the crowd be on a school night?

Will they put up more against us or San Marino (4-0) lol. 

Who would have thought by round 5 after the Nations League hype we would already be out of it. Kazakhstan have a better chance to catch the Russians. 

Edited by infamous
score adjustment of belgium san marino

12 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Stop talking pish.

Whatever the problem is, Steven O'Donnell isn't it.

Ryan Jack right back??? Get a grip.

Jack is a good right back. Played there plenty of times. Also, clearly has the ability the retain and pass the ball and not shit his pants. 

O’Donnell’s level of player is exactly the problem we have. Not limiting my criticism at him but he stood out as the most shit tonight. 

And pipe the fexk down. We’re all pissed off. 

1 minute ago, bonzo said:

Precise and to the point, we played for 10 minutes scored and disappeared. 

Partly because the Russians started slow knowing they need to weather the storm in the opening 15-20. Once everything settled down they worked their way into the match and took over. 

We will keep it close with Belgium, park the bus, offer nothing going forward (We offered little tonight). People will then applaud an amazing effort. This is why the Belgium game was nothing to go off, parking the bus vs needing a win are two different things. Every time the Russians came forward tonight it looked like they may score. 

3 minutes ago, infamous said:

Partly because the Russians started slow knowing they need to weather the storm in the opening 15-20. Once everything settled down they worked their way into the match and took over. 

We will keep it close with Belgium, park the bus, offer nothing going forward (We offered little tonight). People will then applaud an amazing effort. This is why the Belgium game was nothing to go off, parking the bus vs needing a win are two different things. Every time the Russians came forward tonight it looked like they may score. 

I disagree, it wont be close against belguim. Itll be a massacre 

2 minutes ago, infamous said:

They constantly played round us easy triangular passes, we looked a man short. 

That was incredibly poor. 

We all knew it was over tonight barring a win - even a draw probably wouldn't have been good enough. 

We can't defend. We always look like conceding, always. 

We are not good enough to play counter-attack stuff. We will ship goals, and we are pretty fortunate it wasn't 5-1 even - Russia off the two posts ; a great save from Marshall plus that chance from Erokin when he tried to place it in rather than firing it home.

We started so well too. It's a natural instinct to defend after going ahead, but as someone mentioned in here, it was almost like we scored too early. 

SOD is a trier, and I'd love to see him come good for us ; but he's not cut out for it at this level. Christie was our best player. Fraser had a brief moment or two but otherwise resembled someone really fast just running about. McBurnie had some decent hold up play but squandered (probably harsh considering the lack of support/good Russian defence) his final or through ball. 

A horrendous campaign. Everything about it. Struggled to beat Cyprus ; unbelievably stodgy and unconvincing v San Marino but got there in the end ; Belgium away defended well but lost goals at horror times before HT and 93rd minute ; and tonight at home going out with a shot on target! (apart from the goal). 

What are Northern Ireland doing? Yes, they've played their four easiest games - they've got Germany and Netherlands x 2 to come now - and may well miss out ; but for them to have 12pts is an excellent achievement. If that was us in their position, absolutely would be on 9 or 10pts. 

Worryingly - we used to be quite good at Hampden and that kept us in qualifying groups. We are utterly dogshite away from home! We are all but out of this now at the half-way stage and for this to be our national sport too. 

Writing these posts for ten years. No one cares really. The SFA squander and blunder their way through and we'll get 35k turning up singing ''we'll support you more'' etc. 

I'm starting to wonder if actually not qualifying is a blessing ; we won't have to show ourselves up at a main tournament (or even hosting 2 games of a tournament). It'll take a lot of luck to get through the Playoffs - yes we'll have at least one home game ; but would we win in Oslo, Helsinki (they probably won't need one), Sofia, Belgrade etc to get to the Euros? I don't think we would. It'll be all very Scottish and we'll lose 0-1 or something in Sofia. 

I think the only game I've avoided watching with Scotland through choice was the Spain one after Levein's 4-6  Czech game. I think I'll miss Monday's game and nothing how ridiculous and diddy a nation we are, we probably will end up getting a point or even turning over the Belgians.