Tonight is a must win - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tonight is a must win

JandC

I think yes, in terms of qualifying from this group.  We'd be too far adrift otherwise.   We have a safety net this time of the playoffs but there is absolutely no guarantee we'll win that so better we really try to get the job done from this qualifying group.  While I'm not overly optimistic about our chances, but if we do win, and if we do so with a good performance then that gives the team a boost mentally to take into Monday's game (And hopefully not the same as that friendly against England after we beat Ireland and fielded the same 11, who were evidently a bit fatigued)

I totally agree. 

We need to win tonight and if we can get something in Russia then we just need to match their results to qualify (easier said than done of course).

Anything other than 3 pts tonight means we’ll probably need to win in Russia and I think even the best teams in Europe would struggle there.

Anyway, got a feeling we might do it and I’m going for a 2-1 Scotland win with Forrest to score 1st.

35 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Technically it’s not a must win but if we don’t win tonight then I doubt we’ll win in Moscow so I suppose it’s as good as a must win.  

Agreed.

But if it happens, I would say more like 2-1, us scoring the last goal. 

A 1-0 clean sheet would be just fine but somehow I think the most likely way of getting a 1-0 is to set out stall for 0-0 and I doubt that would be the manager's gameplan in a must win scenario. Also it's not difficult to imagine them scoring sooner or later.  

Was really disappointed last night with the performance from about 15 minutes in to the end of the game.

i really don’t think Russia are a top class side but it was scary how much more comfortable they were on the ball than us and it looked like they were the home team.

i suppose we do have the play-off to come but the team needs to show much more self-belief as we’ll get nowhere sitting off teams at Hampden.

2 hours ago, JandC said:

Was really disappointed last night with the performance from about 15 minutes in to the end of the game.

i really don’t think Russia are a top class side but it was scary how much more comfortable they were on the ball than us and it looked like they were the home team.

i suppose we do have the play-off to come but the team needs to show much more self-belief as we’ll get nowhere sitting off teams at Hampden.

I thought this too though I can't put my finger on what it was that made me think that. Maybe just an illusion.

4 hours ago, JandC said:

They don't heed to be a top class side to be far, far better than Scotland.

For us to be second, every game is must win now, including Monday, this just isn't going to happen.  The best outcome is finish 3rd,  somehow stay in a 3rd spot ranking for the World Cup qualifiers and be ready for the play offs.  I am gutted after last night. 

37 minutes ago, JandC said:

I agree but given the players we have, we shouldn’t be being played off the park by a team like Russia at home.

They are not world beaters but I feel they are underrated. Lets remember they did make the Quarters of the World Cup (I don't care if they were home, they were missing 6 starters at the World Cup). The Russians regularly qualify for tournaments, every few tournaments or so they go on a good run (Euro 2008, World Cup 2018). 

Our team is not great at all, just because we don't follow the RPL/ know their players doesn't mean it is a farmers league (Rated 6th in Europe,  2 Automatic UCL group stage spots and 1 Qualifying spot). Most of the players have regular UCL experience with knockout experience in the UCL or regular deep Europa League runs. A lot of the players have turned down EPL moves.

Outside of McTominay and Robertson a lot of the players are at stronger clubs than ours. Hence it was obvious they were a level above us and could turn it on when needed.