Soooooo.. The play off then. - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Soooooo.. The play off then.

bonny78

8 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Think it's already been said Scotland and England are in the same provisional group (or at least League C play off team). Coin toss to determine who plays at home if Scotland qualify.

Have to say it's really odd not to complete all the games before a December draw as is always the case. WIll be very little preparation time for the actual tournament for four of the teams given March in tournament years is usually the last chance to fine tune things before a squad is named.

Bring on the English 

9 hours ago, ironbrew said:

If we qualify we`ll be in group D with England. Does this mean that if we don`t get through playoffs whoever wins our playoff will be in group D playing 2 or 3 matches at Hampden? Not sure if we could play  another host in playoff, Hungary  perhaps.

No, the draw for the finals will be after the play-offs. We may have to host an England match but I'm not completely sure about that.

England will fancy their chances of winning the thing. They are looking very good at the moment with plenty of good young options in each position. They will have 2 or 3 group matches at home and the semi-final and final would also be at Wembley. 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

No, the draw for the finals will be after the play-offs. We may have to host an England match but I'm not completely sure about that.

England will fancy their chances of winning the thing. They are looking very good at the moment with plenty of good young options in each position. They will have 2 or 3 group matches at home and the semi-final and final would also be at Wembley. 

The main draw for the finals is on 30Nov2019. By this time they will know which teams are in the playoffs, but they won't know the winners. Playoffs are in March 2020. They may do a supplementary draw in April 2020 to shuffle things around a wee bit if required.

20 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The main draw for the finals is on 30Nov2019. By this time they will know which teams are in the playoffs, but they won't know the winners. Playoffs are in March 2020. They may do a supplementary draw in April 2020 to shuffle things around a wee bit if required.

I hadn't realised that. Thanks for putting me right. 

On 9/14/2019 at 1:21 PM, ProudScot said:

The way we are playing and looking we could end up with half the points you expect. San Marino is our only banker win

I'm confident we'll beat San Marino and Kazakhstan at home.

I know Kazakhstan beat us comfortably in Astana but they aren't very good and don't travel well. I'll be surprised if they beat us at Hampden (although I wouldn't rule out a draw I suppose since we'll be mathematically out by then).

Israel absolutely battered us in the away game in the Nations League and lost at Hampden so I would expect the same thing will happen with Kazakhstan. It will no doubt be a close match though.

If we can also beat Cyprus away we could end up with a semi-respectable points haul. Still nowhere near good enough but winning our last 3 matches would at least give us some much needed confidence going into the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I'm confident we'll beat San Marino and Kazakhstan at home.

I know Kazakhstan beat us comfortably in Astana but they aren't very good and don't travel well. I'll be surprised if they beat us at Hampden (although I wouldn't rule out a draw I suppose since we'll be mathematically out by then).

Israel absolutely battered us in the away game in the Nations League and lost at Hampden so I would expect the same thing will happen with Kazakhstan. It will no doubt be a close match though.

If we can also beat Cyprus away we could end up with a semi-respectable points haul. Still nowhere near good enough but winning our last 3 matches would at least give us some much needed confidence going into the playoffs.

But none of these group games matter Pete.  Why we bothering? 

On 9/15/2019 at 9:25 AM, PASTA Mick said:

Not convinced by England. They would beat us comfortably at the moment but that’s mainly down to their strike force and our numerous shortcomings. If you take away Kane and Sterling I don’t think they’re anything special.

3 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Not convinced by England. They would beat us comfortably at the moment but that’s mainly down to their strike force and our numerous shortcomings. If you take away Kane and Sterling I don’t think they’re anything special.

I think you underestimate them. They are scoring for fun against decent teams. 

37 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

They could pick a C team and absolutely horse us.

17 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

He was born in leeds too so could play for England as well  . I doubt it though as his Dad played for Norway 

He's already played a competitive match for Norway.

He's also already scored a hat-trick against Scotland, although 2 were penalties - https://www.uefa.com/under19/season=2018/matches/round=2000841/match=2023682/index.html?iv=true

18 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

I remember watching Tammy Abraham at u20 against us and thinking he was light years ahead. He now looks like he could get to world class level with a bit of application. 

Edited by er yir macaroon