Jump to content
bonny78

Soooooo.. The play off then.

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, infamous said:

This sport is simply not in our DNA lol. 

Haha.

Wish we would get prizes for being diddies and losers.

Edited by weekevie04

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Probably Bulgaria who might even be almost as shyte as we are?

Thought it was Serbia or Finland.   

England will beat Bulgaria today 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that no matter who we get in the one legged play off semi final, that game will be played at Hampden.

If we got though to the final then the venue will be decided by a coin toss.

is that correct?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JandC said:

My understanding is that no matter who we get in the one legged play off semi final, that game will be played at Hampden.

If we got though to the final then the venue will be decided by a coin toss.

is that correct?

 

Yes to the first part. The venue for the final will be decided by some sort of draw (might be coin toss?), in December.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Finland will qualify automatically, beat Greece 1-0 so in pole positon.

Yes it could be Serbia which would be very difficult, particularly if it's a neutral venue.

Aye, Finland have a massive game away to B&H in October. If they get a point out of that they are virtually there. Even if they lose that game they will still have a very decent chance.

We can only get Serbia if we get to the final. It won't be a neutral venue. One of the finalists will be at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JandC said:

 

If we got though to the final then the venue will be decided by a coin toss.

 

 

Oh how I yearn for your unabashed optimism.  Are you the guy who got chucked out the stadium for drinking mad dog last night ? 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Oh how I yearn for your unabashed optimism.  Are you the guy who got chucked out the stadium for drinking mad dog last night ? 🙂

To be fair, at the moment it's looking like we might be playing Bulgaria at Hampden in the semi. We might have a wee chance against them. Mibbees?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

There’s a decent chance Serbia will beat Portugal tonight. Would make them favourites to go through.

If they don’t, then hopefully they lose heavily.

 

I think Portugal will do enough to qualify. Serbia could still catch Ukraine though. Could be a tight group that. 

It would be good if Serbia and Finland both qualify. Then we would get Israel again. can't see us losing to them.;)

Edited by Orraloon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

To be fair, at the moment it's looking like we might be playing Bulgaria at Hampden in the semi. We might have a wee chance against them. Mibbees?

Wee chance,  mibbees. No more.  The words ‘Scotland’ and ‘final’ dont roll off the tongue easily 🙂

We will no doubt play better when we officially have no chance of qualifying out this group, building up some sort of confidence in the support, then shitting it in the play offs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Wee chance,  mibbees. No more.  The words ‘Scotland’ and ‘final’ dont roll off the tongue easily 🙂

We will no doubt play better when we officially have no chance of qualifying out this group, building up some sort of confidence in the support, then shitting it in the play offs. 

Screenshot this. You'll need it when we get pumped in the play off. 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Wee chance,  mibbees. No more.  The words ‘Scotland’ and ‘final’ dont roll off the tongue easily 🙂

We will no doubt play better when we officially have no chance of qualifying out this group, building up some sort of confidence in the support, then shitting it in the play offs. 

I would be fairly confident of beating Bulgaria if McLeish was still in charge. Not sure about this new fella yet.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Screenshot this. You'll need it when we get pumped in the play off. 😕

Honestly RB, I am sick to death of listening to my own negativity. Being Scottish really drains a half glass full mentality down to dregs of cheap whisky. 

Tonight I am going to drag out my flamenco dress from Benidorm 86, click my maracas , order in some tapas, play my Enrique Inglsais tape on loop and neck bottles of Rioja till I have convinced myself I am Spanish. 

You could do worse than put money on  them getting beat by the Faroes tomorrow. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I would be fairly confident of beating Bulgaria if McLeish was still in charge. Not sure about this new fella yet.;)

😁 , how long will it take till the ‘ Next Scotland Manager’  thread gets resurrected . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Wee chance,  mibbees. No more.  The words ‘Scotland’ and ‘final’ dont roll off the tongue easily 🙂

We will no doubt play better when we officially have no chance of qualifying out this group, building up some sort of confidence in the support, then shitting it in the play offs. 

I'm a golfer, and recently after 20 years of playing I developed real problem. On the putting green I would get all my putts close or hole them with no thought about it, but once I stepped on the course I couldn't do it. Not only could I not do it, but my entire style and mindset changed. Mentally I fell to bits, even over the easiest of putts. 

I'm sure most of you will know in sports this condition is called the yips. It's a mental issue that manifests itself in your physical performance and can completely destroy sporting careers. The Scotland national team have the yips BIG STYLE and it's hard to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

I'm a golfer, and recently after 20 years of playing I developed real problem. On the putting green I would get all my putts close or hole them with no thought about it, but once I stepped on the course I couldn't do it. Not only could I not do it, but my entire style and mindset changed. Mentally I fell to bits, even over the easiest of putts. 

I'm sure most of you will know in sports this condition is called the yips. It's a mental issue that manifests itself in your physical performance and can completely destroy sporting careers. The Scotland national team have the yips BIG STYLE and it's hard to watch. 

There is absolutely no doubt that confidence breeds confidence and as you rightly say we have a real mental issue that is affecting the teams performance. 

As mentioned on here numerous times, these individual players should be working better as a group.  I dont know if the players feel they do not have  the same quality of player around them as they do in their clubs and this knocks their confidence, or if they are simply  not good enough to adapt quickly to a different team or system , with so little time dedicated to international games.  

Thinking back, the only  time in recent years I really felt we had confidence was the group with France, Italy and Ukraine who were at that time were World cup winners, semi finalist and quarter finalists. When the draw was made I thought we had no chance but we played out our skins in that group. From memory we had a nucleus of players that were used to each other at international level and club level , at the moment we are chopping and changing teams, and managers,  constantly. Nothing seems to work and the longer that goes on the chances are the yips will grind them down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, Finland have a massive game away to B&H in October. If they get a point out of that they are virtually there. Even if they lose that game they will still have a very decent chance.

We can only get Serbia if we get to the final. It won't be a neutral venue. One of the finalists will be at home.

Ah right, was pretty sure I read it would be played at neutral venue.

Prey for a good tosser then......small chance if potential final would be at Hampden as Serbs don't travel well....I remember the 2012 they barely crossed the halfway line.

Next to no chance if it's in Belgrade, look at all their quality going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

I'm a golfer, and recently after 20 years of playing I developed real problem. On the putting green I would get all my putts close or hole them with no thought about it, but once I stepped on the course I couldn't do it. Not only could I not do it, but my entire style and mindset changed. Mentally I fell to bits, even over the easiest of putts. 

I'm sure most of you will know in sports this condition is called the yips. It's a mental issue that manifests itself in your physical performance and can completely destroy sporting careers. The Scotland national team have the yips BIG STYLE and it's hard to watch. 

Living in Ireland for the past 12 years, and comparing their relative success and national self-confidence with ours, i've come to the conclusion that our problem stems with Scotland's political arrangement.

I have zero scientific measurement of this, let alone any way to prove it... but it remains my resolute belief.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Living in Ireland for the past 12 years, and comparing their relative success and national self-confidence with ours, i've come to the conclusion that our problem stems with Scotland's political arrangement.

I have zero scientific measurement of this, let alone any way to prove it... but it remains my resolute belief.

 

I genuinely believe this to be the case, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...