Scotland u21 vs San Marino u21 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland u21 vs San Marino u21

The_Dark_Knight

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

One for the Dons fans on here:

Is this laddie McLennan worth watching or has he just had a lucky night ? 

Watched him a couple of times and he looks good. Not sure he will make it past spl though. He's a skillful pacy winger with tricks, he's also pretty well built for a 19 year old. 

1 minute ago, gaz7 said:

i watched 1st half and we were nowhere near croatia was like big team v belgium. went out back in with 15 to go and couldnt believe score was still same. last 15 mins we done gd. middleton and mclennan and hornby the pick. is gilmour injured?

I watched whole of second half and I would agree with the players you mentioned. However defence was very composed. Porteous looks a player and McCrorie would be a better bet at right back than O’Donnell

21 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Dare I say, a good second half by Johnstone and Porteous at the back, actually looked assured as the Croats came forward.

I reckon Porteous would have been in the proper squad by now had it not been for his knee injuries last season. He's not even playing for Hibs yet this season. 

58 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

It was a 433

It most certainly wasn't a 433. We had no out and out wide men until Middleton and Mclennan came on. You are correct though it was 4 at the back, McCrorie played right back in a 4411 we were just so defensive our right mid played almost as a right back for most of the game. Fair play we got the result but if we carry on playing that style of football for another 30 years we will certainly lose more games than we win. We only looked a threat when Middleton and McClennan came on and started to resemble Scotland youth sides I have watched in recent times. Maybe we just need a bit more belief in our ability to adopt the style we are trying to implement on the youth sides. Pace, pressing, and freedom to go play. It was a breath of fresh air after a turgid 70 odd mind to see Middleton take players on with the ball down the left and cross for mclennan who fired in a cracking goal. 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

No he didnt he stood sulking after missing the chance whilst his team mates continued to work whilst the ball was still in play.

Aye, and he should have scored in the first place, but that goal does not come if not for his pressing the centre half and then running in on goal and getting his shot off. He was second favourite but he won the ball and drove at goal. His endeavour deserved the lucky break of the croat clearance coming back out to Mcrorie (and what a first time cross that is). Indeed, his pressure on the croat defender forces the guy to just scuff it away. He was a good figurehead all game I thought, big Hornby. Have enjoyed him every time i've seen him play for the under 21s. Hoping he gets some first team game time now wi his loan move. 

Excellent result last night. And tactical nous from the management team, bringing on two dangerous, pacey players late on having gotten through the rest of the game without falling too far behind. Ideal timing for them both to make an impact, and an impact they indeed did make. Much needed encouragement. Mcrorie hopefully isn't too far away from a senior call up. Was Gilmour injured, or just dropped? I see he was in the stands sitting wi that Malkay Mackay bigot. 

36 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Aye, and he should have scored in the first place, but that goal does not come if not for his pressing the centre half and then running in on goal and getting his shot off. He was second favourite but he won the ball and drove at goal. His endeavour deserved the lucky break of the croat clearance coming back out to Mcrorie (and what a first time cross that is). Indeed, his pressure on the croat defender forces the guy to just scuff it away. He was a good figurehead all game I thought, big Hornby. Have enjoyed him every time i've seen him play for the under 21s. Hoping he gets some first team game time now wi his loan move. 

Excellent result last night. And tactical nous from the management team, bringing on two dangerous, pacey players late on having gotten through the rest of the game without falling too far behind. Ideal timing for them both to make an impact, and an impact they indeed did make. Much needed encouragement. Mcrorie hopefully isn't too far away from a senior call up. Was Gilmour injured, or just dropped? I see he was in the stands sitting wi that Malkay Mackay bigot. 

As far as I’m concerned McRorie is our new right back.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

As far as I’m concerned McRorie is our new right back.

I'd be very comfortable with that, especially given the next games are about building to playoffs and beyond. Although i'm sure the under 21 cmap would like to hold on to him a tad longer. Is Mcrorie getting game time at club level? 

40 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

I'd be very comfortable with that, especially given the next games are about building to playoffs and beyond. Although i'm sure the under 21 cmap would like to hold on to him a tad longer. Is Mcrorie getting game time at club level? 

Really is what you think age related football is all about. Most think it is preparation for the first team but if the under 21s have a chance of finals tournament football then i would hope that the best team available is selected for the next matches. He can join the senior squad when the younger team have qualified.

But wait, we have been here before, good away wins against top seeds ( 2-1 against Netherlands last time out ) followed by hopeless draws against teams we should / could beat.

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

No he didnt he stood sulking after missing the chance whilst his team mates continued to work whilst the ball was still in play.

Think he was disappointed he didn't score rather than sulked. Last minute of match, done the difficult part and made chance for himself but keeper brought off a decent save and thought chance had gone. I was disappointed for him.

Still was running about after that and in fact had the ball in the corner at the final whistle. Don't think Hornby is a sulker BTW.