Your starting XI against Russia - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your starting XI against Russia

The_Dark_Knight

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

3-5-2

Marshall

Bates - Cooper - Mulgrew

Snodgrass              -               Taylor

Robertson

McTominay   -    McGinn

McBurnie    -    Fraser

Wow. Never seen Robertson being suggested for a midfield role.

5 minutes ago, wanderer said:

.......................Marshall

O'Donnell...Cooper...Mulgrew...Robertson

...........McGinn....McTominay

Forrest.......McGregor........Fraser

................McBurnie (though I expect Phillips or Naismith to start)

Same, but swap McGregor and McGinn in the formation. Would happily see Armstrong ahead of McGinn as well.

3 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

3-5-2

Marshall

Bates - Cooper - Mulgrew

Robertson

McTominay   -    McGinn

McBurnie    -    Fraser

Bet you at least 4 of those don't play.

There is also zero chance of SC playing a back 3, he's never rated it and quoted as saying so.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Same, but swap McGregor and McGinn in the formation. Would happily see Armstrong ahead of McGinn as well.

Shame we can not be so spoiled for riches in the middle of defense, as I would even say Christie should start as well based on current form (could be tempted to drop McGregor in place of Christie).

Marshall

O'Donnell             Cooper       Mulgrew        Robertson

McTominay

McGregor         McGinn

Forrest                                                              Fraser

Naismith

We look good in midfield with plenty of depth, but centre-back concerns me for these two fixtures. I'd have preferred Bates over Cooper but it seems Bates hasn't been playing much since he moved to Sheffield Wednesday.

4 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

3-5-2

Marshall

Bates - Cooper - Mulgrew

Robertson

McTominay   -    McGinn

McBurnie    -    Fraser

You never fail to crack me up with a starting 11 and formation. 

2 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Who's Armstrong? Seriously though, if Armstrong started ahead of him McGinn would have a strong case to take before the employment tribunal. 

5 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

3-5-2

Marshall

Bates - Cooper - Mulgrew

Robertson

McTominay   -    McGinn

McBurnie    -    Fraser

That might be the worst suggested team lines I've ever seen on here! Thank fuck you're no picking the side! :lol:

I doubt this will be what he goes for, but given the squad he picked, I think this is what I'd do if I was inexplicably given the task without being allowed to watch them train or take advice from the coaches. 

Essentially I expect it will be close to this but  with Mcginn  ahead of christie and Mcburnie ahead of Phillips. Phillips clearly ins't a striker but my thinking is that, frankly, none of our strikers are goalscorers. Our goals are likely to come from the midfield, or Robbo, so it's about getting the guy who is best able to bring them into the game. McBurnie hasn't impressed as yet for Scotland and doesn't seem that adept at the hold up from what I have seen, more like a skinny Kris Boyd, a penalty box striker. Naismith isn't fit, russel has attributes but is a bit easy to push off the ball and dominate for a centre half. What Phillips has is pace. He can get in behind, dragging us up the pitch when under pressure or playing on the shoulder if they play a high line. He has a low centre of gravity and is a solid unit, so can win us freekicks and hold the ball up. 

For me, Christie has creativity, goals of all kinds including from distance and a really in depth relationship and understanding with Forrest and Mcgregor. On those points alone i'd start him with Mcginn and armstrong impact subs, but I'm not blind to the argument that Christie could easily be the impact sub himself. I'd no be greetin if Mcginn starts, that's for sure, going well this season and is taking to that league, even if he worries me with his tendency to get caught on the ball at times. 

scotland-russia-belgium-2cd76347f2ee017ac7aded798d3107b5.jpg

2 hours ago, csinclair said:

Marshall

O'Donnell    Mulgrew    Cooper    Robertson

McGinn   McTominay  McGregor

Forrest  McBurnie  Fraser

that looks good but what about christie as a so called false 9? im positive hes played it for celtic last year and i just feel he definitely needs to play given form hes been in at start of season. Other 3 midfielders need to play also. mctominay breaking up play def mid with mcgregor beside him running the game would let mcginn and christie bomb about all over pitch linking with fraser and forrest.  

4 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

that looks good but what about christie as a so called false 9? im positive hes played it for celtic last year and i just feel he definitely needs to play given form hes been in at start of season. Other 3 midfielders need to play also. mctominay breaking up play def mid with mcgregor beside him running the game would let mcginn and christie bomb about all over pitch linking with fraser and forrest.  

No center forward? I wonder if that has ever been tried before?

5 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

That... actually doesn't sound awful. At least on paper. To me. 

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Folk seriously starting Philips up top? jesus.

with 2 goals this season, he is probably the most "on form" striker we have available in the squad......

At the moment I think it will be very close between Phillips and McBurnie over who starts (with the Steven Reid link with WBA, I actually can see Phillips starting, and McBurnie left to come on later on)

15 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

lol i know but im hoping its more the barca false 9 than leveins 4-6-0 that would happen

You didn't mention that we are going to start playing like Barcelona. That's awright then.:ok:

And, I thought it was Ryan Gauld that was going to be the new Messi.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You didn't mention that we are going to start playing like Barcelona. That's awright then.:ok:

And, I thought it was Ryan Gauld that was going to be the new Messi.

we can all dream even after last 20 years. i dont know if it would work but i know those 4 midfielders and 2 wingers have all started season well and we do not have an out and out striker who has done very much. i always read about strikers who dont hold ball in well enough to let midfielders to get up and help and always think why put 1 striker with his back to goal all game up against 2 or 3 6ft plus defenders as very rarely have i saw it working. give the ball to fraser,forrest,mcginn or christie in space who can all run at defenders. good players can find space and those 4 are imo good players.

Edited by gaz7