Crowd - Page 2 - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Crowd

Squirrelhumper

Well what was it in the end, 32k? Disappointing. This was the best chance to get a decisive result. And a sunny September Friday too. 

Assuming we are effectively out, now how many  going to turn out on a dark October Sunday or November Tuesday to see San Marino or Kazakhstan?

Was wondering why a surge of people suddenly arrived nearly ten minutes into the game but just read that story there that someone was arsing around with the emergency cord on one of the trains from Glasgow Central which caused delays and a backlog of trains. What a fanny.

31 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Was wondering why a surge of people suddenly arrived nearly ten minutes into the game but just read that story there that someone was arsing around with the emergency cord on one of the trains from Glasgow Central which caused delays and a backlog of trains. What a fanny.

Missed 20+ mins myself in the backlog, including obviously our goal. 

Disappointing crowd. UEFA/FIFA week of football is dreadful but the main thing is how crap we’ve been for so long.

Get a consistently competitive, winning team on the park that has a realistic chance of qualifying and the crowds will be there. 

SFA have got their pricing to a reasonable level for the first time in this campaign.

Clarke has a job on his hands. 

2 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Disappointing crowd. UEFA/FIFA week of football is dreadful but the main thing is how crap we’ve been for so long.

Get a consistently competitive, winning team on the park that has a realistic chance of qualifying and the crowds will be there. 

SFA have got their pricing to a reasonable level for the first time in this campaign.

Clarke has a job on his hands. 

I was wondering if this, nowadays, means finding our level in the Nations League.... beating other teams around our level... with the occasional chance of a play-off

But is that enough, these days, to get crowds back? 

27 minutes ago, exile said:

I was wondering if this, nowadays, means finding our level in the Nations League.... beating other teams around our level... with the occasional chance of a play-off

But is that enough, these days, to get crowds back? 

Nope. I don’t think it is enough.

Nations league is a damp squib which will get scrapped. Fair enough we might sell out Hampden for the play off match but that’s a one off. 

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

Nope. I don’t think it is enough.

Nations league is a damp squib which will get scrapped. Fair enough we might sell out Hampden for the play off match but that’s a one off. 

I don't think it will get scrapped. I think it's been a great idea. It's always going to be a bit of a diddy cup, but it's a lot better than loads of meaningless friendlies. 

3 hours ago, exile said:

🙁 THose were the best 20 minutes

So I gather.   Most folk cheered on the train at the news and some sang.   True to type my immediate response was aw naw, since I'd missed it 🥺

Last time a train broke down under me (by fans banging on the doors I believe) I missed the opener against Ukraine.

On 9/7/2019 at 9:09 AM, teecee- said:

Fitba-32,433. Rugby 53,406. One match a must win game the other a pre  tournament warm up.

Oh come on, if the football team qualified for a world cup and were playing a warm up game for that, you'd have enough interest to sell out the two stadiums put together. This comparison has to stop. 

4 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Oh come on, if the football team qualified for a world cup and were playing a warm up game for that, you'd have enough interest to sell out the two stadiums put together. This comparison has to stop. 

I don't think Hampden will ever be a sell out for a friendly. I wouldn't be surprised if even the playoff isn't a sellout.

40 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think Hampden will ever be a sell out for a friendly. I wouldn't be surprised if even the playoff isn't a sellout.

A World-Cup sendoff game, celebrating actually getting to a finals again? I think it would be. Maybe no if it was Georgia mind you, given the Nam style flashbacks hahaha 

Point being, a send off game before a world cup finals it's no really the same as, for example, a mid-season friendly match just to fulfill a fixture date like our friendlies have been for donkeys. 

19 hours ago, AndyDD said:

It's also pretty difficult for Scotland not to qualify for the rugby world cup.

Fair play to the SRU they marketed that one well.

Don't the SRU dish out a ridiculous amount of comp tickets to sponsors (know a few guys in Edinburgh and their firms always seem to get loads of tickets, yet hardly hear of anyone getting comps for football matches) and to their member clubs to sell on to their club members? I used to get 6 nation tickets through a friend at Ardrossan Accies (and every time I went to pay him it was a case of "forget it, my life time membership of the club pays for it").

Edited by wanderer

While I think that the pricing for this campaign is finally where it needs to be - I'd suggest that for the play-off game(s) the SFA could gain themselves a lot of good PR by selling tickets at £5 for adults and £1 for kids. Get the place sold out well in advance and build anticipation. It would also be a welcome reward to the long suffering fans. 

If the current crowds continue I'd suggest we play qualifiers at Easter Road or Tynie. We need to start thinking about what incremental changes we can make to give us a better chance. Teams must absolutely love coming to Hampden to play on a perfect, wide open pitch with a half-empty stadium. 

17 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

If the current crowds continue I'd suggest we play qualifiers at Easter Road or Tynie. We need to start thinking about what incremental changes we can make to give us a better chance. Teams must absolutely love coming to Hampden to play on a perfect, wide open pitch with a half-empty stadium. 

As poor as a 30,000 crowd at hampden looks and feels, you’re locking 10,000 people out by playing anywhere else.

Didnt think there was 10,000 less at Belgium than Russia?

23 hours ago, wanderer said:

Don't the SRU dish out a ridiculous amount of comp tickets to sponsors (know a few guys in Edinburgh and their firms always seem to get loads of tickets, yet hardly hear of anyone getting comps for football matches) and to their member clubs to sell on to their club members? I used to get 6 nation tickets through a friend at Ardrossan Accies (and every time I went to pay him it was a case of "forget it, my life time membership of the club pays for it").

That was maybe true before but I would be shocked if its still the case