Crowd - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Crowd

Squirrelhumper

Build ups been pretty low key so far. Friday night is a really big game.

Belgium is a free hit, but to have any chance of automatic qualification we need minimum 3 points from Russia and ideally a good win incase we lose over there (for h2h (is that what they use?)).

As good as Friday night fitba can be, I reckon this would easily outdo the Cyprus gate if it was a Saturday evening game. There's always going to be some folk working and unable to travel in time on a weeknight. Sadly, but understandably, Belgium will be a bigger turnout on the basis of the opposition, regardless of being a Monday. 

That kind of crowd inst good enough - it is a must win game against our biggest rivals for the 2nd spot. Should be priced to sell out.

SFA seem woeful at trying to sell these games.....look at the SRU selling out murrayfield on 15 consecutive occasions including some minnows. Fantastic atmosphere in the ground.

Heads should roll.

1 hour ago, finnie said:

That kind of crowd inst good enough - it is a must win game against our biggest rivals for the 2nd spot. Should be priced to sell out.

SFA seem woeful at trying to sell these games.....look at the SRU selling out murrayfield on 15 consecutive occasions including some minnows. Fantastic atmosphere in the ground.

Heads should roll.

My ticket was £18 as part of the season ticket, it was £22 for members to buy individual tickets.

Even walk up fans is £27.

I was £24 at Perth on Saturday for the Killie game.

Even in the 80s/90s we would be delighted with 35, 000 a lot of the time for qualifiers at Hampden.

Was only the really the late 90s/00s and early 2010s that we were selling out on a regular basis for Saturday games.

Mid 30k's I imagine, and ticket sales must be pretty steady, as the SSC are usually doing competition after competition on social media to flog tickets beforehand.

Also imagine the Scotland v Georgia match at Murrayfield (sell out isn't it?) will not make things any easier.

2 hours ago, finnie said:

Heads should roll.

I'm not going to suggest the SFA have judged the prices perfectly, and I do think they should make kids free to encourage younger supporters/families, but the cost of the tickets doesn't seem exorbitant to me. Maybe some discounting for group bookings could be introduced, every little helps, but I think this is an appetite thing rather than a cost thing. The murrayfield situation is a bit of a red herring. The Rugby team play in (arguably?) the biggest tournament in their sport every single year. There is no Six nations equivalent in football, where the biggest tournament is played between six teams who all have home games without having to qualify. If that was the situation and Scotland had a guaranteed spot against the best European nations in football I would expect Hampden to be full.

As it stands, there is not enough appetite to fill Hampden. The only thing that will change that is results, or a game against, say, England. Unless they made it ten quid or a fiver, which would be ridiculous. 

As an Airdrie fan paying £17 to watch 2nd division fitba, getting a Scotland ticket for £1 more seems positively tasty. Everything is relative. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

As an Airdrie fan paying £17 to watch 2nd division fitba, getting a Scotland ticket for £1 more seems positively tasty. Everything is relative. 

Exactly - I believe Accies'-Motherwell was £25 last Saturday, I was £24 at Perth on Saturday, Hamilton were £30 at Tyencastle!

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Exactly - I believe Accies'-Motherwell was £25 last Saturday, I was £24 at Perth on Saturday, Hamilton were £30 at Tyencastle!

30 quid to watch a Levein team. never again haha we had enough of that during his tenure. 

Taking my 5 year old boy to his first Scotland game on Friday night.
So hopefully there is a decent atmosphere...
A double home header is always going to be tough to sell out.
Unless you live in Glasgow then getting twice to Hampden in one week a big ask / cost.

Surprised more folk not interested in Russia game than the Belgium match.
Arguably that is the bigger game.  
Russia is match we can win that could put us back in contention.
Belgium game might have more glamour - but seeing Scotland get beat 3-0 never fun.
Even if you get to see some super stars.

I think the crowd will be 35 - 40K looking at the way the map is filling up.  I also think that the atmosphere will be really good.

You can buy tickets at Hampden remember and right up until kick off.

No idea how many Russia are bringing however an area either side of the normal away support went on sale in the last couple of days

Edited by hamilton wanderer
typo

^ Hope the wee man enjoys it. If we win ye need to take him on Monday anawl though! 

If the Germany attendance is anything to go by, the glamour factor is significant. Near enough a sell out on a Monday night. They were World Champions at the time, which Belgium are not. The Belgium crown could well increase if we get a good result on Friday, as well, which you need to factor in. If we get humped, you could see a lot no bothering going out on a Monday night. 

16 hours ago, Haggis_trap said:

Taking my 5 year old boy to his first Scotland game on Friday night.
So hopefully there is a decent atmosphere...
A double home header is always going to be tough to sell out.
Unless you live in Glasgow then getting twice to Hampden in one week a big ask / cost.

Surprised more folk not interested in Russia game than the Belgium match.
Arguably that is the bigger game.  
Russia is match we can win that could put us back in contention.
Belgium game might have more glamour - but seeing Scotland get beat 3-0 never fun.
Even if you get to see some super stars.

More tickets defo been shifted for Russia.

15 hours ago, AndyDD said:

^ Hope the wee man enjoys it. If we win ye need to take him on Monday anawl though! 

If the Germany attendance is anything to go by, the glamour factor is significant. Near enough a sell out on a Monday night. They were World Champions at the time, which Belgium are not. The Belgium crown could well increase if we get a good result on Friday, as well, which you need to factor in. If we get humped, you could see a lot no bothering going out on a Monday night. 

If we beat Russia we'll have 40.000+ on Monday.

18 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If we beat Russia we'll have 40.000+ on Monday.

Aye you would think so. Just goes to show you, for all the talk of prices and scheduling and Hampden apparently being at the centre of the Minotaur's maze , folk will come out for glamour games and they will definitely come out if the team gets some success.