Travel Insurance - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Travel Insurance

ironbrew

I`ve rarely bothered with travel insurance but reading of cases in news of folk stranded abroad (dead or alive) plus numerous cases of lost luggage  makes me think I  probably should have something. I know some people pay a set amount each year but no idea how much you`d have to travel to make that worthwhile.  Anyone here pay every year? Sometimes it`s mentioned that if you pay for trip by credit card you`ll be covered but no idea if this is really the case.

Check your house insurance. Sometimes house insurance will include travel insurance to lure you in. If not, travel insurance isn't very expensive these days unless you have lots of pre-existing medical conditions and/or are quite old. Remember to tell them about any pre-existing condition otherwise it might invalidate your insurance.

Shop around to get a good deal.

A quick trawl on Money Supermarket or similar will usually find you a decent deal, with or without pre-existing conditions, assuming you don't already have cover via other insurance or your bank account, etc.

As a cautionary tale, an old boss of mine used to go to Prague regularly to dog-sit/house-sit for a mutual friend of ours while he was away on holiday. She was tugged by the dog, fell & fractured a hip. She ended up with 2 weeks in hospital in Prague, emergency surgery & had to have a medical plane chartered to get her home. The total cost to her she reckoned would have been in excess of £200K had she not had insurance, all covered by her £10ish policy.