Riot Police Deployed in Govan - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Riot Police Deployed in Govan

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, Terry Munro said:

Fair enough. I don't think I know a single republican who didn't vote yes.

I see the Daily Record have unsurprisingly reported it as marchers clashing with protesters, which wasn't the case at all. Was protesters clashing with (or running from) the police. Just gimps from the union bears, imperial blues and all those other types of folk who still live in their mother's spare room. 

That being said, I've always thought that these type of parades (including gay pride any other shite like that) should be held in private parks rather than public roads. That way, those who want to take part/watch can actively choose to do it. 

Came on here to post the exact as your last point there. Pisses me off that the general public needs inconvenienced for these marches. Go march around a field for 4 hour and stop causing a riot.

Must have been 100 odd Orange Walks going through various parts of Glasgow, some even right past chapels and they weren't attacked. Mainly ignored.

One Irish Republican one and there's riots, cars trashed, stuff set on fire and literally hundreds of police.

I'd just ban all marches like Terry said. Can march round ibrox until their hearts content.

18 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

A group called "Scottish Protestants Against Discrimination" are holding a demonstration outside the City Chambers on Saturday morning :rollsmile: :rollsmile::rollsmile:

Wankers.

They genuinely believe that they're being discriminated against because the taigs are no longer second class citizens in this country.

Edited by Terry Munro

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Saw the grand vizier of the Orange Order or whatever he's called on the news last night pinning the blame on the "Nationalist council" :blink:

The Church of Scotland have come out and told them they're talking pish - well in words the CoS would use.   When the actual Established Protestant Church comes out and say that banning parades is not discriminating against Protestants, you kind of think the OO might not really have a leg to stand on. 

5 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

They genuinely believe that they're being discriminated against because the taigs are no longer second class citizens in this country.

I'm confident that not a single one of these "Scottish Protestants Against Discrimination" ever attend their local church services, own a bible or could explain the theological differences between the various Christian denominations.

I'd dearly love to see the evidence these fuckheads have for "war being waged against Protestantism". :lol:

Edited by ErsatzThistle

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'm confident that not a single one of these "Scottish Protestants Against Discrimination" ever attend their local church services, own a bible or could explain the theological differences between the various Christian denominations.

I'd dearly love to see the evidence these fuckheads have for "war being waged against Protestantism". :lol:

Perhaps, like you they are confident with the facts. I know many people in the po who attend church every week. But that may spoil your confidence. Can't have it both ways kid. U have a pretty narrow range. It's people like u that call 'the other side' fuckwits and scum that contribute nothing but bile and hate. Two sides to hatred. And u are on one. Luckily I am not. Scotland Forever.

6 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

I was once private messaged by a random guy calling me a “fucking taig” for debating scottish independence online, i had to look up what a Taig was haha.

Grand Master of the Orange Lodge Jim McHarg spoke out after six processions set to take place this weekend were cancelled following recent ugly scenes in the city centre.

Speaking from Glasgow Green, where hundreds gathered to protest the march ban, he said: "We’re being condemned because of Republican parades that happened for two weekends.

"But I don’t see the condemnation of TRNSMT for instance in this city where there was a lot more violence went on – drug dealing, a sex attack, and court cases.

"That doesn’t happen at Orange parades. Why’s that not being banned?

Greatest whataboutery in history................

Think it was George Sq
Edited by Lairdyfaeinverclyde

18 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Grand Master of the Orange Lodge Jim McHarg spoke out after six processions set to take place this weekend were cancelled following recent ugly scenes in the city centre.

Speaking from Glasgow Green, where hundreds gathered to protest the march ban, he said: "We’re being condemned because of Republican parades that happened for two weekends.

"But I don’t see the condemnation of TRNSMT for instance in this city where there was a lot more violence went on – drug dealing, a sex attack, and court cases.

"That doesn’t happen at Orange parades. Why’s that not being banned?

Greatest whataboutery in history................

Think it was George Sq

Dundee Utd were behind it all.

Presumably this took place before kick off at Ibrox?...

_108808976_cctv.jpg

Jim McHarg: "Civil religious liberties are being taken away from people of this city and across the country by the nationalist-run authorities. There seems to be an agenda against protestants, against my organisation in particular. We feel it is unjust and unjustifiable."

All that's missing is a "WE ARE THE PEEPIL!!!"

Edited by Toepoke

Excuse me if I am being naive but why have these marches been allowed for so long? Seems to me that it is no more than groups using them to do a bit of political chest thumping in public. Okay I have attended marches supporting Scottish Independence but that is a lot different in my view. It is a march to demonstrate the power of voice and will behind the push for independence but what is it with these other marches?

On 9/13/2019 at 12:33 PM, Terry Munro said:

Correct and not before time. Maybe now we don't have so much need for RC Secondary schools and through time the remaining 50 will decrease in numbers.

49 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Excuse me if I am being naive but why have these marches been allowed for so long? Seems to me that it is no more than groups using them to do a bit of political chest thumping in public. Okay I have attended marches supporting Scottish Independence but that is a lot different in my view. It is a march to demonstrate the power of voice and will behind the push for independence but what is it with these other marches?

It's a cultural thing, not necessarily a very progressive culture but a well ingrained one. Most towns and villages in west central Scotland have at least one Orange march a year. For the participants it's a social event that usually culminates in a tea, bev sesh, sash bash, punch up etc.

45 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Most towns and villages in west central Scotland have at least one Orange march a year.

Not sure of tone of your post, i.e. if entirely serious or not, so apologies if I'm getting whooshed.

But...No. this not true. Wouldn't want the northern and eastern contingent getting the false impression that everywhere in west central Scotland is like this. Just not the case. Parts of Glasgow, parts of (mostly north) Ayrshire, larger parts of Lanarkshire and a few others.

13 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Not sure of tone of your post, i.e. if entirely serious or not, so apologies if I'm getting whooshed.

But...No. this not true. Wouldn't want the northern and eastern contingent getting the false impression that everywhere in west central Scotland is like this. Just not the case. Parts of Glasgow, parts of (mostly north) Ayrshire, larger parts of Lanarkshire and a few others.

You would be better off trying to name towns in Ayrshire, Lanarkshire, the Lothians etc., that *don't* have an Orange march.   In a lot of these places the membership will be in the tens and not hundreds but they'll still have the march.

16 minutes ago, aaid said:

You would be better off trying to name towns in Ayrshire, Lanarkshire, the Lothians etc., that *don't* have an Orange march.   In a lot of these places the membership will be in the tens and not hundreds but they'll still have the march.

I don't see them, chief. Not to say they don't exist right enough. I live in East Ayrshire and not seen one of them in years. Dark Ayrshire is dark, dark Lanarkshire is dark. But you can go about your life in most places without seeing the smelly bsstards.

14 minutes ago, duncan II said:

I don't see them, chief. Not to say they don't exist right enough. I live in East Ayrshire and not seen one of them in years. Dark Ayrshire is dark, dark Lanarkshire is dark. But you can go about your life in most places without seeing the smelly bsstards.

Although I no longer live there, I'm originally from East Ayrshire as well, - the north part - have friends and family there, so I'm still pretty tuned in.  There's been an Orange walk there each July since as long as I can remember and unfortunately its still going.   TBF, its not exactly difficult to ignore it if you want to but it's still there.

This year there's been walks in Kilmarnock, Hurlford, Cumnock (3), Logan, Auchinleck, Drongan, New Cumnock (2), Stewarton (2).   That's pretty much every sizeable town in East Ayrshire with possible exception of Mauchline.

https://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/LawAndLicensing/PermissionsForMarchesAndParades/Marches-Parades-Processions/Marches-parades-and-processions-calendar.aspx 

Edited by aaid

14 minutes ago, aaid said:

Although I no longer live there, I'm originally from East Ayrshire as well, - the north part - have friends and family there, so I'm still pretty tuned in.  There's been an Orange walk there each July since as long as I can remember and unfortunately its still going.   TBF, its not exactly difficult to ignore it if you want to but it's still there.

This year there's been walks in Kilmarnock, Hurlford, Cumnock (3), Logan, Auchinleck, Drongan, New Cumnock (2), Stewarton (2).   That's pretty much every sizeable town in East Ayrshire with possible exception of Mauchline.

https://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/LawAndLicensing/PermissionsForMarchesAndParades/Marches-Parades-Processions/Marches-parades-and-processions-calendar.aspx 

Fair doos, not gonna argue with facts. Surprised (and disappointed) in Kilmarnock. Genuinely never seen it and I live 5 mins from the town (since 2012) and venture in all the time. Also disappointed in Hurlford as I wrote a local history on the place and have a soft spot for it. Less surprised at Drongan, Cumnock, Auchinleck etc.