Riot Police Deployed in Govan - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Riot Police Deployed in Govan

I wish both sides of this kind of shite would fuck off to banks of the Clyde at low tide for their rammies and get stuck in the mud as the tide rises higher and higher ......

Quite a lot of these republican flute band types are opposed to Scottish independence from my encounters with them. 

A plague on both their houses.

I see there was some representation from Saoradh, the political wing of the Real IRA who were responsible for the murder of Lyra McKee.   So basically scumbags from both sides present in Govan.

4 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

Which ones? (genuine question). I'm not aware of any.

Over the years I've come across several (don't know what bands they were from) and almost all of them were dead against Scottish independence and were Labour loyalists to the core. "We mustn't separate the British workers", "only the English are stopping you Scots from persecuting us". A lot of utter pish.

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Over the years I've come across several (don't know what bands they were from) and almost all of them were dead against Scottish independence and were Labour loyalists to the core. "We mustn't separate the British workers", "only the English are stopping you Scots from persecuting us". A lot of utter pish.

I've heard that one too.  It's a stupid argument, IMO, because 1) the English don't know (or particularly care, in most cases) that this nonsense goes on and 2) it ignores the history behind the OO, which was formed by the British authorities to drive a wedge between Irish people in the north who were showing signs of developing a sense of civic identity.  Basically, they've picked the wrong enemy.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Fair enough. I don't think I know a single republican who didn't vote yes.

I see the Daily Record have unsurprisingly reported it as marchers clashing with protesters, which wasn't the case at all. Was protesters clashing with (or running from) the police. Just gimps from the union bears, imperial blues and all those other types of folk who still live in their mother's spare room. 

That being said, I've always thought that these type of parades (including gay pride any other shite like that) should be held in private parks rather than public roads. That way, those who want to take part/watch can actively choose to do it. 

8 hours ago, aaid said:

A plague on both their houses.

I see there was some representation from Saoradh, the political wing of the Real IRA who were responsible for the murder of Lyra McKee.   So basically scumbags from both sides present in Govan.

The claim that Saroadh are the political wing of the Real IRA from tabloid Sunday Life, it's denied by Saroadh.

According to the wiki anyway, I had never heard of them had to google.

A report in the Sunday Life claimed that Saoradh is linked to the "New IRA", a group formed in 2012 by the merger of the Real Irish Republican Army with several other paramilitary groups. However Jordan has stated that the party is "stand alone" and has no links to any other organisation.[5]

13 minutes ago, phart said:

The claim that Saroadh are the political wing of the Real IRA from tabloid Sunday Life, it's denied by Saroadh.

A report in the Sunday Life claimed that Saoradh is linked to the "New IRA", a group formed in 2012 by the merger of the Real Irish Republican Army with several other paramilitary groups. However Jordan has stated that the party is "stand alone" and has no links to any other organisation.[5]

They're lying.

2 hours ago, phart said:

Well they would say that, wouldn't they.  They're hardly going to admit to being associated with an illegal proscribed organisation.  

Watch the killing of Lyra McKee documentary on YouTube. There's a piece about Saroadh on there. Don't knowing you know who Dee Fennell is but there's an interview with him on it too.

2 hours ago, phart said:

17 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

It was a stupid decision and both sides are morons but to my knowledge the Orange Order are generally allowed to have their procession without this sort of retaliation from the other side. 

yep - standing up to and righteously defending us from all other forms of sectarian pish which is not their own. 

3 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

yep - standing up to and righteously defending us from all other forms of sectarian pish which is not their own. 

I've already said that these parades shouldn't be allowed on public streets but calling a march in support for a united Ireland "sectarian pish" is just lazy, ignorant shite.

48 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

I've already said that these parades shouldn't be allowed on public streets but calling a march in support for a united Ireland "sectarian pish" is just lazy, ignorant shite.

You're correct that there's nothing inherently sectarian in support for a united Ireland.  However, they lose any moral authority when there's an expression of support for paramilitaries. 

1 hour ago, Terry Munro said:

yes - I lazily and ignorantly determined that a march associated with the Sean McIlvenna band stoked the same sectarian pish as that spouted by the Orange Order.......

On 8/31/2019 at 1:55 PM, Terry Munro said:

I see the Daily Record have unsurprisingly reported it as marchers clashing with protesters, which wasn't the case at all. Was protesters clashing with (or running from) the police. Just gimps from the union bears, imperial blues and all those other types of folk who still live in their mother's spare room. 

That being said, I've always thought that these type of parades (including gay pride any other shite like that) should be held in private parks rather than public roads. That way, those who want to take part/watch can actively choose to do it. 

What park in Scotland would be considered private? Sports ground owned/used by a private sports club perhaps. Cricket, rugby or golf club might be big enough. Football stadium?

1 minute ago, ironbrew said:

What park in Scotland would be considered private? Sports ground owned/used by a private sports club perhaps. Cricket, rugby or golf club might be big enough. Football stadium?

Glasgow Green would be considered private when it is shut off for things like Transmit festival, so basically any park they want to hire out for the day.

On 8/31/2019 at 12:55 PM, Terry Munro said:

‘ Imperial Blues’. 😂😂😂 is that honestly a thing ?  Sounds like something out of Star Wars. 

Not really a fan of these republican flute bands or the orange order bands. This event will probably result in less marches which will ultimately be detrimental to the orange order. Saying that the orange order has been in decline for many years now so maybe banning marches might boost support for them. Either way I believe in freedom of speech and the right to peaceful protest so I wouldn't have either sides banned from marching.