Oli McBurnie - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oli McBurnie

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If he doesn’t want to play for us then why does he play for us?

I agree he’s been poor when he has played for us but nobody is forcing him to play for Scotland. 

Wonder why he went to Peru and Mexico?

Should really bin all the players that didn't go on that one and Jordan Archer.

49 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If he doesn’t want to play for us then why does he play for us?

I agree he’s been poor when he has played for us but nobody is forcing him to play for Scotland. 

Even a national team as bad and pathetic as ours is good for your cv and the salary you can command

He must've had a skinful just before every time he's played for us cos he's always looked like he sees 2 fitbas coming at him and doesn't know which one's real.

Some role model for youngsters, an absolute fkin idiot.  Hope the courts make an example of him.  Jailing him during the time of our next double header would be good.

12 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

You’re entitled to your opinion mate but it’s not as simple as that. People, Paolo Nutini for example, have been charged with drink driving and then found not guilty. It is rare of course because most people who are caught drink driving are caught red handed but we don’t know the details of the case. 

Assuming McBurnie is guilty though (as he probably is), depending on how drunk he was, he will probably lose his licence for a year and get a fine if it’s his first offence.  As taboo as drink driving is (and rightly so as it is fucking dangerous) the courts don’t actually consider it to be that serious a crime unless you are absolutely blootered or you actually cause an accident or if you are a repeat offender.

It’s not any worse a crime than bashing someone over the head with a baseball bat and nobody appeared to get their knickers in a twist when Gallagher was selected. 

I agree that McBurnie’s future as a Scotland player should be considered carefully by Clarke but I don’t agree he should never be considered again. If he is remorseful and proves it was a one off then he will likely be selected again.  Not considering him because of his conviction once it’s spent may also be against the law under the rehabilitation of offenders act, assuming playing for Scotland counts as employment which I’m not sure if it does or not.

As for him disparaging playing for Scotland I think that’s been covered earlier in this thread. It was banter with Fleck. If he doesn’t want to play for Scotland then he doesn’t have to. 

Nah, there is no payment for playing for Scotland, it is not part of his employment and therefore not calling him up again would not breach the rehab act. Keep in mind that at no point does the SFA need to proclaim that this is the reason he is not picked each time the squad is announced, in that scenario. Playing for Scotland is an extra, as such, and not being selected by the national team for any reason in no way impinges upon his rights as a rehabilitated criminal anymore than it would a player who was innocent of any crime but had conducted themselves poorly. Mcgregor and Ferguson could not take legal action against the SFA for their (short-lived) blacklisting, because it did not impact their earnings or their status with their actual employer.

Depending on conduct clauses in his contract, his club might well be legally able to bin him without legal risk. It all depends what he has agreed to sign on for in terms of conduct codes and such. I'd personally like the SFA to have a code of conduct for international players that is punished by removal from selection upon any breaches and needs to be signed before you get a cap, which does not take into account conduct before a cap but rather means 'once you are a scotland cap, you are expected to conduct yourself to a certain basic standard...' but i'm a weirdo. 

Drink driving is not in and of itself punished as severely as physical assault by the courts, that's true (unless as you say it contributes to a deadly accident, in which cause they are more likely to be hit with vehicular manslaughter) but my personal view is that this is a weakness of the law that is out of step with the values of the society it serves. The worst case scenario from hitting someone with a bat over the head is killing that one person. The worst case scenario from drink driving... well, we sadly know all too well how much more damage can be caused by an out of control car. 

You're right to point out that he has not been found guilty of anything as yet and he may never be and as such calling for his blacklisting is hasty, a haste which I myself initially fell into.

21 hours ago, AndyDD said:

That's fair, and of course I agree that indeed they do deserve a second chance., Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting he should never be allowed to play football or anything like that, nor denied the chance everyone deserves of reclaiming their reputation following contrition and appropriate rehabilitation etc etc. He shouldn't be hounded out of society or necessarily sacked by his club.

But for me i'd much prefer he doesn't get the honour of an international call up on the back of that. I'd just prefer we don't reward him with it (regardless of what he might say about said reward in the confines of the dressing room and/or corridor...) Just a personal preference. I'm sure he will feature again. I actually had similar feelings about Gallagher.

In terms of fuss, I don't expect many will take the view that this should remove him from selection so you might actually find the fuss level is much the same as it was for Gallagher, i.e barely existent at all. 

People make mistakes from time to time, and deservedly get punished... to then actively curtail their career would be wrong though

9 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

People make mistakes from time to time, and deservedly get punished... to then actively curtail their career would be wrong though

I wouldn't agree this would constitute actively curtailing his career. He certainly didn't get his big money move to Sheffield United off the back of his Scotland appearances and playing for Scotland is not part of his employment. The clubs from League 1, scottish championship and Scottish prem who do not offer David Goodwillie a contract are not actively curtailing his career. They are choosing not to sign him given the baggage and moral dimension of the civil case that was found against him, but making an individual choice as a club not to offer him employment is not actively curtailing his career. 

22 hours ago, AndyDD said:

If he is convicted of this drink driving, he should never be called up again. 

Granted, it's easy to say that for a guy who looks a hundred miles off it at international level thus far, but still. 

I'm not saying he should be banned from football, but at least on principle playing for the national side should be an honour given out to people who can be relied upon to act like ambassadors for us when on duty, or failing that, at least relied upon to not act like a thoughtless, self-aggrandising, arrogant pellet who endangers the lives of others. 

It's an interesting one.

I certainly wouldn't call him up for the November games even if he scores a goal or two in the next games before the break.

I was actually disappointed Wales called up Tom Lawrence (Welsh dad  so interest there) after the episode with Derby recently, they have better attackers than Scotland so he wasn't even needed.

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Some on here are forgetting that a player who has worn the captain's armband for Scotland in this qualification campaign was convicted a few years ago for being over the limit.

Snodgrass has been done a couple of times for driving offences? (sure first one was drink related?)

I think McBurnie will be in next squad, but fast reaching the point that there will be a black mark against his name in Clarke's eyes.

8 hours ago, AndyDD said:

I wouldn't agree this would constitute actively curtailing his career. He certainly didn't get his big money move to Sheffield United off the back of his Scotland appearances and playing for Scotland is not part of his employment. The clubs from League 1, scottish championship and Scottish prem who do not offer David Goodwillie a contract are not actively curtailing his career. They are choosing not to sign him given the baggage and moral dimension of the civil case that was found against him, but making an individual choice as a club not to offer him employment is not actively curtailing his career. 

Denying the guy the opportunity to represent his country on the international scene is definitely curtailing his career