Oli McBurnie - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oli McBurnie

52 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Well I guess he won't be facing off against KT tonight then.

(This post was actually supposed to be replying to the point were you said it's find for us to diss the national team, but bit the players... Obviously)

Nah. Don't be silly. We all heard "I hope not", when asked if he was going to be called up. But because of his Yorkshire accent being weird, it only made him sound like he said that. He actually said " I don't know"....

The drink-drive thing is also fake news. Yep. He may have appeared to be driving drunk, but it was just his Yorkshire driving style...

In other words, the more valuable a player is, the more the apologists will make excuses for him.

If Jason Cummings was any good, people would've just said that he was doing a spot of decorating when he trashed his house.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

21 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

(This post was actually supposed to be replying to the point were you said it's fine for us to diss the national team, but not the players... Obviously)

Nah. Don't be silly. We all heard "I hope not", when asked if he was going to be called up. But because of his Yorkshire accent being weird, it only made him sound like he said that. He actually said " I don't know"....

The drink-drive thing is also fake news. Yep. He may have appeared to be driving drunk, but it was just his Yorkshire driving style...

In other words, the more valuable a player is, the more the apologists will make excuses for him.

If Jason Cummings was any good, people would've just said that he was doing a spot of decorating when he trashed his house.

Edited for typotis.

Also, no, McBurnie will not be playing tonight.

I'm actually beginning to question his brains. First he clearly slams the Scotland team and now he goes on a little bender and drive.

People make mistakes, so I won't be too hard on him... But the driving whilst drunk could kill someone. 

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

I hear ya. Only the fans are allowed to make fun of the state of the national team, not the players. 

If you think its comparable, then thats up to you, but I think you are absolutely entirely wrong.

If a fan gets pissed off, he doesn't go, no great deal. If a player is openly dismissive of his country, and publicly stating that he doesn't want a call up, he shouldnt be picked again. Add into the fact that he seems like a cunt, and is useless as a player, he is no loss.

5 minutes ago, kumnio said:

If you think its comparable, then thats up to you, but I think you are absolutely entirely wrong.

If a fan gets pissed off, he doesn't go, no great deal. If a player is openly dismissive of his country, and publicly stating that he doesn't want a call up, he shouldnt be picked again. Add into the fact that he seems like a cunt, and is useless as a player, he is no loss.

Haha I guess it's down to viewpoints for sure. I just felt that it may not have been a public display of rejection, rather than a private piece of banter with teammates. If he genuinely hates the Scotland team then he can fuck off. 

I too work in England surrounded by English people and regularly banter about how shit Scotland are right now. I have no defence. We are shit. It doesn't mean I hate the team. I love Scotland! I cannot wait for us to be back to where I think we should be, but in the meantime I'm not gonna try to pretend we're not shit. 

Either way though, it was really really stupid of him. 

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Cunt acting like a cunt.

I'm truly shocked.

He does come across as a moron.  

This is a player that should be working his arse off to prove himself at this level and he's out drink driving.  

He'll be at Ibrox within 2 years.

16 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

He does come across as a moron.  

This is a player that should be working his arse off to prove himself at this level and he's out drink driving.  

He'll be at Ibrox within 2 years.

Drink driving and out on the ran dan on a Thursday night.

Fair enough his team are playing Monday but I wouldn't imagine getting pished on a Thursday is best prerp for that.

If he is convicted of this drink driving, he should never be called up again. 

Granted, it's easy to say that for a guy who looks a hundred miles off it at international level thus far, but still. 

I'm not saying he should be banned from football, but at least on principle playing for the national side should be an honour given out to people who can be relied upon to act like ambassadors for us when on duty, or failing that, at least relied upon to not act like a thoughtless, self-aggrandising, arrogant pellet who endangers the lives of others. 

20 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

If he is convicted of this drink driving, he should never be called up again. 

Granted, it's easy to say that for a guy who looks a hundred miles off it at international level thus far, but still. 

I'm not saying he should be banned from football, but at least on principle playing for the national side should be an honour given out to people who can be relied upon to act like ambassadors for us when on duty, or failing that, at least relied upon to not act like a thoughtless, self-aggrandising, arrogant pellet who endangers the lives of others. 

People deserve a second chance so saying he should never be called up again if convicted is a bit harsh in my opinion.

I certainly wouldn't call him up for the next set of games but if he screws the nut and gets his head out of his arse and merits a call up by playing well then I'm sure we'll see him in future squads. 

Declan Gallagher was in prison not that long ago and there wasn't much of a fuss when he was selected. Not for his criminal record anyway.

49 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Drink driving and out on the ran dan on a Thursday night.

Fair enough his team are playing Monday but I wouldn't imagine getting pished on a Thursday is best prerp for that.

He's a young guy with more money than sense so I can't say I'm surprised.

If he's out having a couple of beers 3 or 4 days before a match it's hardly crime of the century but get a taxi ffs. It's not as of he couldn't afford one. If he was out getting hammered then he's obviously not very professional.

He does play like someone who has a hangover in most of his games so this could explain a lot.

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

People deserve a second chance so saying he should never be called up again if convicted is a bit harsh in my opinion.

I certainly wouldn't call him up for the next set of games but if he screws the nut and gets his head out of his arse and merits a call up by playing well then I'm sure we'll see him in future squads. 

Declan Gallagher was in prison not that long ago and there wasn't much of a fuss when he was selected. Not for his criminal record anyway.

That's fair, and of course I agree that indeed they do deserve a second chance., Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting he should never be allowed to play football or anything like that, nor denied the chance everyone deserves of reclaiming their reputation following contrition and appropriate rehabilitation etc etc. He shouldn't be hounded out of society or necessarily sacked by his club.

But for me i'd much prefer he doesn't get the honour of an international call up on the back of that. I'd just prefer we don't reward him with it (regardless of what he might say about said reward in the confines of the dressing room and/or corridor...) Just a personal preference. I'm sure he will feature again. I actually had similar feelings about Gallagher.

In terms of fuss, I don't expect many will take the view that this should remove him from selection so you might actually find the fuss level is much the same as it was for Gallagher, i.e barely existent at all. 

You can get done for drink driving without being "drunk" IMO. But I suppose that depends on your definition of "drunk". Let's wait and see what level he was at, if that ever gets reported. If he had 2 or 3 pints and was just over the limit then he has been a stupid wee laddie who was daft enough to think he could get away with it. If he was 3 or 4 times over the limit, then he has probably got a bigger problem that he should get professional help for.

55 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You can get done for drink driving without being "drunk" IMO. But I suppose that depends on your definition of "drunk". Let's wait and see what level he was at, if that ever gets reported. If he had 2 or 3 pints and was just over the limit then he has been a stupid wee laddie who was daft enough to think he could get away with it. If he was 3 or 4 times over the limit, then he has probably got a bigger problem that he should get professional help for.

Aye, that's very fair. In all such cases, it would be wrong to pre-judge. 

Cross that bridge when we come to it. 

3 hours ago, kumnio said:

Nail on head.  £20m pissed away.

Guest ElChris04

I’m sorry, anyone trying to condone to make excuses for his drink driving can kindly fuck off, he’s an absolute scumbag. If he wasn’t already a cunt disrespecting the NT, he’s now driving while intoxicated and endangering the life’s of others, as someone who lost a mate who was only 17 to drunk driver many years back I have no sympathy what so ever, even more so now.  

he wasn’t fit to wear the shirt then, and he isn’t fit to wear the shirt now. A nasty low life Toxic scumbag who’ll be playing Sunday leagues by the time he’s 30 with his attitude. 

I hope Steve Clarke washes his hands with him and we never need to see that cunt in a Scotland jersey again. 

45 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'll never understand why footballers on £50k a week find it too hard to get a fucking taxi.

Bellends.

They could afford a full time chauffer 365 days of the yeae for less than a weeks wage.

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

I’m sorry, anyone trying to condone to make excuses for his drink driving can kindly fuck off, he’s an absolute scumbag. If he wasn’t already a cunt disrespecting the NT, he’s now driving while intoxicated and endangering the life’s of others, as someone who lost a mate who was only 17 to drunk driver many years back I have no sympathy what so ever, even more so now.  

he wasn’t fit to wear the shirt then, and he isn’t fit to wear the shirt now. A nasty low life Toxic scumbag who’ll be playing Sunday leagues by the time he’s 30 with his attitude. 

I hope Steve Clarke washes his hands with him and we never need to see that cunt in a Scotland jersey again. 

Spot. On.

2 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

If only life were that simple. 

I haven’t seen anyone condoning drink driving on here but I would agree that anyone who does can fuck off.

Does that mean I agree he should never play for Scotland again? No. For me, it all depends on the how McBurnie reacts to it. If he does it again or otherwise acts like an arse then he probably shouldn’t be selected again. If he wises up and grows up then there’s no reason he can’t play for us again. Assuming he’s good enough which is debatable.

If you want to condemn the guy before he’s even found guilty that’s up to you but having an open mind about him getting a second chance in future depending on his attitude isn’t the same as condoning drink driving. 

Guest ElChris04
30 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If only life were that simple. 

I haven’t seen anyone condoning drink driving on here but I would agree that anyone who does can fuck off.

Does that mean I agree he should never play for Scotland again? No. For me, it all depends on the how McBurnie reacts to it. If he does it again or otherwise acts like an arse then he probably shouldn’t be selected again. If he wises up and grows up then there’s no reason he can’t play for us again. Assuming he’s good enough which is debatable.

If you want to condemn the guy before he’s even found guilty that’s up to you but having an open mind about him getting a second chance in future depending on his attitude isn’t the same as condoning drink driving. 

A player who has been caught saying he hopes he doesn’t want called up wouldn’t get called up again in the past with old mangers like Jock or ally, that alone.

Weather you think he needs to grow up is also a shite excuse for him, I’m 19 and like many of my mates we know how rock bottom shite we are now currently, if we where in his shoes it would never cross our minds to say anything bad about getting called up. It shows to me he’s not cut from the same cloth like McTominay and co who do care playing for Scotland. 
but that isn’t the main problem 

my problem is, the guy has been charged with drink driving. He’s clearly been over the legal limit so I don’t get how I’m condemning him before he’s guilty, anyway whatever next steps happen if it’s a suspended sentence with community service or whatever he’s been done by the limit, add that to the fact his attitude absolutely stinks, he’s been caught on video talking shite about the NT and now driving drunk that could endanger folk, All that leads me to he’s an absolute cunt who clearly has no respect for others or his position he’s lucky to be in. 

like I said, if I was Clarke I wouldn’t call him up again. Zero sympathy for toxic wasters like him especially when one of the problems has affected me personally.

Edited by ElChris04

3 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

A player who has been caught saying he hopes he doesn’t want called up wouldn’t get called up  againin the past, that alone.

Weather you think he needs to grow up is also a shite excuse for him, I’m 19 and like many of my mates we know how rock bottom shite we are now currently, if we where in his shoes it would never cross our minds to say anything bad about getting called up. It shows to me he’s not cut from the same cloth like McTominay and co who do care playing for Scotland. 
but that isn’t the main problem 

my problem is, the guy has been charged with drink driving. He’s clearly been over the legal limit so I don’t get how I’m condemning him before he’s guilty, anyway  whatever next steps happen if it’s a suspended sentence with community service or whatever he’s been done by the limit, add that to the fact his attitude absolutely stinks, he’s been caught on video talking shite about the NT and now driving drunk that could endanger this. All that leads me to he’s an absolute cunt who  clearly has no respect for others or his position he’s lucky to be in. 

like I said, if I was Clarke I wouldn’t call him up again. Zero sympathy for toxic wasters like him especially when one of the problems has affected me personally.

You’re entitled to your opinion mate but it’s not as simple as that. People, Paolo Nutini for example, have been charged with drink driving and then found not guilty. It is rare of course because most people who are caught drink driving are caught red handed but we don’t know the details of the case. 

Assuming McBurnie is guilty though (as he probably is), depending on how drunk he was, he will probably lose his licence for a year and get a fine if it’s his first offence.  As taboo as drink driving is (and rightly so as it is fucking dangerous) the courts don’t actually consider it to be that serious a crime unless you are absolutely blootered or you actually cause an accident or if you are a repeat offender.

It’s not any worse a crime than bashing someone over the head with a baseball bat and nobody appeared to get their knickers in a twist when Gallagher was selected. 

I agree that McBurnie’s future as a Scotland player should be considered carefully by Clarke but I don’t agree he should never be considered again. If he is remorseful and proves it was a one off then he will likely be selected again.  Not considering him because of his conviction once it’s spent may also be against the law under the rehabilitation of offenders act, assuming playing for Scotland counts as employment which I’m not sure if it does or not.

As for him disparaging playing for Scotland I think that’s been covered earlier in this thread. It was banter with Fleck. If he doesn’t want to play for Scotland then he doesn’t have to. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

He’s a prick and also has been dug meat for us. 
He doesn’t want to play for us and is also largely pish.

He’s probably currently tucking into his cheeky nandos and planning his holiday to Ibiza next summer.

If he doesn’t want to play for us then why does he play for us?

I agree he’s been poor when he has played for us but nobody is forcing him to play for Scotland.