Oli McBurnie - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oli McBurnie

30 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I think it's pretty evident from Steven Reid's comments that McBurnie WAS talking about going away with Scotland, otherwise he wouldn't have needed a "clear the air talk" with his team-mates and Steve Clarke. If it really wasn't about Scotland he would've just came out and said what it was about.

Not necessarily, unless they were in the room they all had access to the same video we had which neither side can be dogmatic on what was said due to the poor audio with no context.  MAYBE he did say the worst some think he said, but we don't have enough to be certain what he said in the Sheff Utd dressing room or what he said to the Scotland group.   

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Not necessarily, unless they were in the room they all had access to the same video we had which neither side can be dogmatic on what was said due to the poor audio with no context.  MAYBE he did say the worst some think he said, but we don't have enough to be certain what he said in the Sheff Utd dressing room or what he said to the Scotland group.   

It's clear that there was a meeting between McBurnie and Clarke.

If the comment wasn't about Scotland there wouldn't even have been a meeting. Last week McBurnie would've just sent Clarke a text telling him that it was about something else. 

Personally, I'm willing to move on.

3 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Not one of us would say "I hope not" if I asked if we're being picked. Every single one of us would would cite it as the pinnacle of our career and we'd give every last drop of sweat.

I've avoided the topic because I wanted to hear both sides. I think it's pretty evident from Steven Reid's comments that McBurnie WAS talking about going away with Scotland, otherwise he wouldn't have needed a "clear the air talk" with his team-mates and Steve Clarke. If it really wasn't about Scotland he would've just came out and said what it was about.

At least McBurnie was honest, he held his hands up and admitted that he was caught red handed. At least behind closed doors. If he came out and admitted it in public the fans and the media probably would have probably use it against him till he retired... And beyond. I still remember after a Scotland match, the Scotland players we're clapping the Scotland fans, Ian Ferguson turned to a team-mate and said "Don't clap those wankers". It's been god knows how many years later but that still sticks in my craw.

Do I think McBurnie meant it? Probably not. He was probably trying to act the big man. I'll bet good money that he didn't feel so big explaining it to Steve Clarke, a man who had admits that it still hurts that he only won 6 caps.

Everyone makes mistakes. Let's move on.

I'm pretty sure he said "I don't know" rather than "I hope not" (although it does sound like "I hope not").

Yorkshire accents/inflections are a bit odd and that's maybe what he was 'clearing up'.

3 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

Ian Ferguson doesn't like the Scotland support (he has stated that in the public domain), he believes (just like a large vocal minority within the Rangers support) that "The Tartan Trannies" are anti-Rangers and sing songs against the club and their players. . . . . . In all my years of going to Scotland games I can honestly say it's a load of made up paranoid pish.

FFS when i started going (late 70's) it was Celtic players that sometimes got it tight from some in the Rangers End (West Stand).

Got a mate who’s a staunch Rangers fan, been to numerous Scotland games with me over the years. The last few years he’s completely turned his back on Scotland, refuses to give the SFA any money until there’s a regime change. I think it’s mainly bitterness about what happened to Rangers and I’ve pointed out how a large percentage of the Scotland support aren’t fans of the SFA either. He’s mentioned to me that Rangers players have been booed playing for Scotland, namely Ryan Jack, Ian Black and Lee Wallace.

If I’m correct, Ryan Jack was booed when Scotland played a game at Pittodrie, presumably due to the fact he left Aberdeen for Rangers.

I think Ian Black was booed as a protest against Craig Levein selecting him as people didn’t think he was anywhere near international class regardless of the club he played for.

Lee Wallace?

As I’ve pointed out to my mate, in all these cases (or at least the ones I’m aware of) they were only ever booed by a tiny minority as most Scotland fans would never boo any Scotland player.

Anybody want to enlighten me if I’m wrong?

20 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Got a mate who’s a staunch Rangers fan, been to numerous Scotland games with me over the years. The last few years he’s completely turned his back on Scotland, refuses to give the SFA any money until there’s a regime change. I think it’s mainly bitterness about what happened to Rangers and I’ve pointed out how a large percentage of the Scotland support aren’t fans of the SFA either. He’s mentioned to me that Rangers players have been booed playing for Scotland, namely Ryan Jack, Ian Black and Lee Wallace.

If I’m correct, Ryan Jack was booed when Scotland played a game at Pittodrie, presumably due to the fact he left Aberdeen for Rangers.

I think Ian Black was booed as a protest against Craig Levein selecting him as people didn’t think he was anywhere near international class regardless of the club he played for.

Lee Wallace?

As I’ve pointed out to my mate, in all these cases (or at least the ones I’m aware of) they were only ever booed by a tiny minority as most Scotland fans would never boo any Scotland player.

I think you're totally right . Also we have had better players in all those positions that those 3 players mentioned above played in . I think a lot of us would like to see players playing for Scotland that represent the club's we support . I for one am delighted to see Liam Cooper called up and hope he starts on Friday 

7 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

So was Lee Wallace ever booed, if so, why?

I can't remember the game exactly but it was a home game at Hampden and was when he was playing for Rangers when they were in the fourth tier.  I'm sure he came on as a sub and was booed then.   The - ahem - excuse was that Scotland shouldn't be playing someone that low down the leagues.  Might well have been his last game.  

Did anyone see McBurnie in action for Sheffield at the weekend? He got involved well in a bunch of link up play with the midfiand strikers. I think he has a lot more to his game than some give him credit for, and I really hope he starts on Friday ahead of the other options. 

3 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Did anyone see McBurnie in action for Sheffield at the weekend? He got involved well in a bunch of link up play with the midfiand strikers. I think he has a lot more to his game than some give him credit for, and I really hope he starts on Friday ahead of the other options. 

Yeh that's good to hear, anytime I have seen him play he's been quite poor but I am willing to give him a chance as he will be a mainstay of the squad for a long time and he scored alot last last season in the championship so he at least does something right.

3 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

It's clear that there was a meeting between McBurnie and Clarke.

If the comment wasn't about Scotland there wouldn't even have been a meeting. Last week McBurnie would've just sent Clarke a text telling him that it was about something else. 

Personally, I'm willing to move on.

No-one is saying there wasn't a meeting, people are assuming the content of said meeting to be an apology for his comment rather than a clarification of the gossip and getting to the truth of it and moving on. No-one of us other than the parties in the room know and likely we never will the content of the meeting. If it gives McBurnie some extra motivation to deliver for us in the next week then it was all worth it. 

I think I misread your earlier comment, I thought you were saying it was an apology meeting, and I in turn apologize to you. 

Edited by romanticscot

26 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I can’t see Naismith starting as he’s just coming back from injury so I think it will either be McBurnie or Russell. 

I like Russell but he’s not as effective a centre forward as he is out wide. 

I hope McBurnie starts and I think he probably will. He’s tailor made for Robertson’s crosses. 

I just hope we don’t start lumping a long ball up to him all the time. 

5 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Not one of us would say "I hope not" if I asked if we're being picked. Every single one of us would would cite it as the pinnacle of our career and we'd give every last drop of sweat.

but he wasn't asked if he was being picked.  he was asked "if he was going away".  that could have been to anywhere - the pub, the lappies, the jail, the moon, the afterlife....................

folk (not referring to you personally hear so dinnae fret) are looking for a stick to beat him with as the anti-english feeling around this player is very strong in this thread.

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

He was also involved in three defensive aerial duels, which is a lot for a striker.

I would go as far as to say he is the only option.

2 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Lee Wallace?

the booing to Ian Black was more that he had played for Hearts and the match was at Easter Road.  but you're also correct that he was nowhere near international standard and it was another example of Levein's stubborness by bringing him on needlessly in the last minute of a friendly.

i cannot remember Wallace getting booed.

Jack was booed at Aberdeen who were likely bitter that he'd left them for Glasgow.

Brian McClair and Gary McAllister were two players i remember getting regularly booed in the 80s and 90s.  McClair probably because his international form never reached his club form and McAllister probably caused he missed that penalty.

17 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That's not McBurnie that's Fraser, Robertson, Fletcher, Paterson and god knows how many more.

And your right that is not a joke.

Probably more to do with the grossly unprofessional way our previous manager and his two stooges handled things.

9 hours ago, tartanmartin said:

but he wasn't asked if he was being picked.  he was asked "if he was going away".  that could have been to anywhere - the pub, the lappies, the jail, the moon, the afterlife....................

folk (not referring to you personally hear so dinnae fret) are looking for a stick to beat him with as the anti-english feeling around this player is very strong in this thread.

John Fleck asking him I think it was obvious what he meant.

I don't think that's the case, or at least I hope it's not. Anyone who has paid attention to his career would know that he showed lots of commitment to Scotland at under 21 level. He might talk with an English accent but I doubt that he considers himself English... Or at least I hope not.

12 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I'm pretty sure he said "I don't know" rather than "I hope not" (although it does sound like "I hope not").

Yorkshire accents/inflections are a bit odd and that's maybe what he was 'clearing up'.

I hope that's what he said.

I just hope he can use it as extra motivation by bagging a hat-trick on Friday.

• 1 month later...