Bolton/Bury - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bolton/Bury

7 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

This was debated on my FB last couple of nights. Friend of a friend from down that area says they had at least one player on £10k a week. Possibly more. Thats a salary no one outside Celtic and Rangers could pay up here.

The most recent figures I can find for Bury's wages were 2015-16, when they spent £4.253m (including social security, pensions, etc) on 96 employees (incl. non-footballing staff). Aberdeen's wages for their last report (2017-18) was £8.564m on 129 employees.

Bury's turnover was £4.238m; they spent 100.36% of their turnover on wages (they were spending more on wages alone than their entire turnover). Aberdeen's turnover was £15.415m; 55.57% of turnover.

Bury's wages in 2015-16 were half that of Aberdeen's despite having four times less turnover. From my understanding, very high wages to turnover ratio, as shown by Bury, is very common in English football (outwith the Premier League).

40 minutes ago, aaid said:

I don't think it's possible for any club to survive in the lower and non-leagues without investment from the owners. 

Absolutely I think FC United are a case in point gates of around 2k but no outside investment and they get relegated whereas we have a quarter of their gates but have a benefactor and we finished 7th. It's wrong really.we are in a division we can't afford to be in. Our budget has been cut drastically and the results show.

On 8/28/2019 at 11:08 AM, aaid said:

I think there are basically three types of people who get involved in owning football clubs.

1. Wealthy people who can afford to get involved in it.
2. People who think they are wealthy enough to get involved in it but in reality they can't
3. Sharks who are out to take as much out of the club as possible.

The problem for any club is that they might start off with an owner who is in category 1 and end up with someone in 3.

If you look at Rangers, arguably David Murray was in category 1 when he first bought the club but at some point in his tenureship slipped into 2 which meant he ultimately sold out to Craig Whyte who was certainly a 3 - even if the Daily Record tried to portray him as a 1.  Then Charles Green who was another 3.  Jury's out on whether Dave King is a 1 or a 2.

The same could happen to any club and any fan who thinks it couldn't is deluding themselves.

Dave King strikes me as a massive number two. 

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

The most recent figures I can find for Bury's wages were 2015-16, when they spent £4.253m (including social security, pensions, etc) on 96 employees (incl. non-footballing staff). Aberdeen's wages for their last report (2017-18) was £8.564m on 129 employees.

Bury's turnover was £4.238m; they spent 100.36% of their turnover on wages (they were spending more on wages alone than their entire turnover). Aberdeen's turnover was £15.415m; 55.57% of turnover.

Bury's wages in 2015-16 were half that of Aberdeen's despite having four times less turnover. From my understanding, very high wages to turnover ratio, as shown by Bury, is very common in English football (outwith the Premier League).

Sure I heard in one of the recent reports around the Bury story that there are dozens of clubs in that position. 

41 minutes ago, hoofitharder said:

Absolutely I think FC United are a case in point gates of around 2k but no outside investment and they get relegated whereas we have a quarter of their gates but have a benefactor and we finished 7th. It's wrong really.we are in a division we can't afford to be in. Our budget has been cut drastically and the results show.

I watch Maidenhead in the league above.  We probably have one of the smallest budgets in the League but our owner's putting in a similar sum to what you mentioned.   I think the average gate last season was around 1400.  If we spend it well, we can be reasonably competitive, if we don't we struggle as we did last year.

I think it's tougher in the NLN than the NLS, not necessarily because the standard is any better, but because of the number of ex-League clubs and big spending startups like Salford, Fylde and Harrogate.  

35 minutes ago, stirlish said:

On sky debate the other night they said championship clubs are 'operating ' at 110% wages to revenue. And that it was looking like rising this season. 

This illustrates that point perfectly:

More than half of the league was operating at or above 100% wages to turnover. Keep in mind, also, that season Norwich, Aston Villa, Newcastle, QPR, Fulham, Reading, Cardiff and Wigan all had parachute payments following Premier League relegation (~£10m to £35m more in revenue than a non-parachuted team would receive, depending on the number of seasons since relegation). Fulham and Cardiff were above 100%, despite parachute payments.

The following season:

Hull, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Aston Villa, Norwich, Cardiff, Fulham and QPR all had parachute payments.

This is the LinkedIn profile of the - ahem - Brazillian "multi-millionaire" Pastor whose late bid for Bury wasn't taken seriously for some - ahem - unexplained reason,.  His current club, Fire United Christian FC play in step 10 of the English pyramid.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gustavo-ferreira-71ab548a/?originalSubdomain=uk