Bolton/Bury - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bolton/Bury

This is going to happen every three or four years from now on unless radical reforms are made to football finance and governance. 

In the last 10-12 years, clubs like Leeds, Coventry, Portsmouth,and Southampton are bloody lucky they didn't end up the same.

4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Sky sports had a countdown to 5pm yesterday to the death warrant being signed apparently. 

Pathetic, imagine people revelling in a football clubs death............

😂😂

Folk blaming the EFL too. Like blaming Carling for someone becoming an alky. 

Not sure how guys like Dale get away with it? Or how their conscience lets them. Heard him on talk sport arguing with a player who couldn’t pay his mortgage. Complete brass neck on him.

By the looks of it he bought the club for £1 and organised a CVA for £2.7 million. Doesn’t appear to be paying that or anything else...

These “businessmen” who seem to do this over and over again, how does it happen? You can bet he’s ok.

As much as the Rangers thing gave the rest of us a chuckle, what happened there was criminal. Dale appears to be a Craig Whyte type character.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Not sure how guys like Dale get away with it? Or how their conscience lets them. Heard him on talk sport arguing with a player who couldn’t pay his mortgage. Complete brass neck on him.

By the looks of it he bought the club for £1 and organised a CVA for £2.7 million. Doesn’t appear to be paying that or anything else...

These “businessmen” who seem to do this over and over again, how does it happen? You can bet he’s ok.

As much as the Rangers thing gave the rest of us a chuckle, what happened there was criminal. Dale appears to be a Craig Whyte type character.

He only got the CVA passed as a company that was set up to buy £7 million of Bury's debt for £70k was owned by his daughter's partner.  That gave them a majority share in the debt and get the CVA through.

This isn't just football though, there's a lot of shady practice involved in insolvency that isn't illegal.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

He only got the CVA passed as a company that was set up to buy £7 million of Bury's debt for £70k was owned by his daughter's partner.  That gave them a majority share in the debt and get the CVA through.

This isn't just football though, there's a lot of shady practice involved in insolvency that isn't illegal.

Yeah, shady as hell.

With football clubs you’d think it was a bit more risky as there’s a greater spotlight, but Craig Whyte is still sitting in his castle...

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Yeah, shady as hell.

With football clubs you’d think it was a bit more risky as there’s a greater spotlight, but Craig Whyte is still sitting in his castle...

I think there are basically three types of people who get involved in owning football clubs.

1. Wealthy people who can afford to get involved in it.
2. People who think they are wealthy enough to get involved in it but in reality they can't
3. Sharks who are out to take as much out of the club as possible.

The problem for any club is that they might start off with an owner who is in category 1 and end up with someone in 3.

If you look at Rangers, arguably David Murray was in category 1 when he first bought the club but at some point in his tenureship slipped into 2 which meant he ultimately sold out to Craig Whyte who was certainly a 3 - even if the Daily Record tried to portray him as a 1.  Then Charles Green who was another 3.  Jury's out on whether Dave King is a 1 or a 2.

The same could happen to any club and any fan who thinks it couldn't is deluding themselves.

As a football supporter I am a bit sad that a club has been expelled from the league but it has been coming for a few years. A club the size of Bury losing 50k a week is criminal. The EFL fit and proper test is a complete joke. But once all the crocodile tears and hand wringing from the media and the local community who mostly couldn't be bothered going to watch this team everyone seemed to love has passed a phoenix club will be born (AFC Bury or something) and be placed in a division at least 3 below the one they were in probably National North. It is a log jam of a league full of former football league clubs trying to get back to where they think they belong (Boston It's, Kidderminster harriers, York city,Hereford United,Darlington,Chester City) and they have all overspent trying to get promoted. This season Hereford have gone full time on a playing budget of 700k a year this is level 6.seemingly York city made a loss of 1.2 million last year it isn't just at the top where money is ruining the game.last year the club I support made a loss of about 300k our average gate was just over500 fortunately we have someone who is picking up the tab. The question for most lower division and non league clubs is for how long.in football we are very lucky that there is a lot of sentiment. Bury are only the tip of the iceberg.

1 hour ago, hoofitharder said:

As a football supporter I am a bit sad that a club has been expelled from the league but it has been coming for a few years. A club the size of Bury losing 50k a week is criminal. The EFL fit and proper test is a complete joke. But once all the crocodile tears and hand wringing from the media and the local community who mostly couldn't be bothered going to watch this team everyone seemed to love has passed a phoenix club will be born (AFC Bury or something) and be placed in a division at least 3 below the one they were in probably National North. It is a log jam of a league full of former football league clubs trying to get back to where they think they belong (Boston It's, Kidderminster harriers, York city,Hereford United,Darlington,Chester City) and they have all overspent trying to get promoted. This season Hereford have gone full time on a playing budget of 700k a year this is level 6.seemingly York city made a loss of 1.2 million last year it isn't just at the top where money is ruining the game.last year the club I support made a loss of about 300k our average gate was just over500 fortunately we have someone who is picking up the tab. The question for most lower division and non league clubs is for how long.in football we are very lucky that there is a lot of sentiment. Bury are only the tip of the iceberg.

And what about the clubs being managed reasonably well? They could be impacted by the loss of games and therefore income against teams that are expelled. 

I imagine there are going to be several more clubs this season. 

The truth is the majority of fans in the EPL and EFL dont really care about other clubs in trouble. 

All they are concerned about is their own club and who the next big signing is so that they can mock their rivals and  dream about becoming a mid table EPL club.

Take Derby for instance. Losing the best part of £30m over the past 2 seasons but the fans praise the owner because he circumvents the FFP rules. They dont see the big picture that the club doesnt live within their means. If you look at the yearly accounts they have been structured to ensure as much smoke and mirrors as possible.

Some fans stick their head above the parapet and question the finances, but get shouted down by the ones with their head in the sand as 'not real fans'. 

There was talk this season of reigning in the spending, then there was a last minute £10m splurge on an Arsenal reserve who's never played in the 1st team, signing Cocu on a 4 year deal as manager, and then announcing Rooney (vanity signing by the owner)

This season, the cheapest ticket is £31 at Pride park, and the WBA game, live on sky, was £38. Theyve also stuck the price of beer up. £4.50 a Carling.......

At those prices they can whistle. 

4 hours ago, macy37 said:

Re Bury I’d be interested to know what the average wage was. £1k a week? They had that clown Clark as gaffer, he wouldn’t be on pennies? Fuck them. Hope there’s more go tits up in the English greed game. 

This was debated on my FB last couple of nights. Friend of a friend from down that area says they had at least one player on £10k a week. Possibly more. Thats a salary no one outside Celtic and Rangers could pay up here.

57 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

This was debated on my FB last couple of nights. Friend of a friend from down that area says they had at least one player on £10k a week. Possibly more. Thats a salary no one outside Celtic and Rangers could pay up here.

That, if true, is incredible. Truly obscene. Most contracts are now 52 weeks so imagine someone playing for Bury earning even £300k per annum!!! Ridiculous. 

6 hours ago, macy37 said:

That, if true, is incredible. Truly obscene. Most contracts are now 52 weeks so imagine someone playing for Bury earning even £300k per annum!!! Ridiculous. 

I always have my doubts over someone random saying he heard from Mr XYZ that such and such is earning so much so may will take it with a pinch of salt but even half that figure would be mental money.

3 minutes ago, hoofitharder said:

Yes. I hope the owner doesn't get bored any time soon.

I don't think it's possible for any club to survive in the lower and non-leagues without investment from the owners.