Best Scotland XI since you've been watching football - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Scotland XI since you've been watching football

The_Dark_Knight

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Craig Gordon, Alan Hutton, Andy Webster, Stephen McManus, Gary Naysmith, Darren Fletcher, Scott Brown, Barry Ferguson (c), James McFadden, Kenny Miller, Andy Carroll.

World Cup quarter finalists on my Football Manger 2008 game a long time ago now :ok:

Andy Carrol?!? Well, since it's Football Manager I'll allow it. ;)

The nearest that i ever got to the Scotland job was being the manager of Scotland U19's whilst managing East Fife in the SPL in Football Manager 2014. Ah, fond memories...

Aye for some reason on my game David Weir, Gary Caldwell, Paul Hartley and Graham Alexander never got any games for their clubs so I had to use other players. Webster was a regular for Rangers in it so I just picked him.

Carroll was great up front with Miller, knocked Kris Boyd oot the team. He was joined at Newcastle by Barry Ferguson. Derek Riordan was recalled to the squad after moving to Bolton. 

It was brilliant. Great fun to play.

Goram

McNamara  Hendry  Calderwood  Boyd

Lambert McAllister  Collins

Faddy

McCoist Johnston 

Subs

Gordon, Dailly, McStay, Gallagher, Duncan Ferguson 

Goram for me is easily our best goalkeeper in my living memory... Unfortunately he had his issues that we all know about and by the time he got to Fir Park was a total shell of what he once was. 

McNamara - it always baffled me why Burley got so much game time at this guys expense, a proper attacking full back

Hendry and Calderwood - oh what we'd give for a dependable, top EPL level centre back pairing these days 

Boyd - for all that he is an utter cockend, he was an excellent left full back in his day

Midfield 3, At the top of their respective games, these guys were cutting about at the very top of European football... A great balance about the three of them as well 

The Fadiator - in behind the strikers, doing whatever the fuck he wants. For a 3 or 4 year spell, Faddy was our national hero. 

Up front, probably our last proper strike partnership?? Two guys that scored goals, with MoJo in particular a borderline genius. 

Subs... Gordon a fantastic keeper until injuries got the better of him...

Dailly, there are probably a lot of better options over the years but included because he could cover the whole back four, as well as for his undoubted attitude towards playing for our country 

McStay - a fantastic player that should have moved away from celtic to really prove it

Gallacher - his form on the run up to France 98 gets him the nod here, both for club and Country he was outstanding in that period both through the middle and out wide 

Drunken Duncan - another missed opportunity for us. An immovable object that scared the shite out of just about anyone he faced, it's a real regret that his Scotland career was so short. His performance at Ibrox against Germany was right up there. 

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Aye for some reason on my game David Weir, Gary Caldwell, Paul Hartley and Graham Alexander never got any games for their clubs so I had to use other players. Webster was a regular for Rangers in it so I just picked him.

Carroll was great up front with Miller, knocked Kris Boyd oot the team. He was joined at Newcastle by Barry Ferguson. Derek Riordan was recalled to the squad after moving to Bolton. 

It was brilliant. Great fun to play.

I seriously clocked up an embarrassing amount of time playing Championship Manager 2 (onwards) on the Amiga growing up.

Only real old school players get a buzz when they hear the name Nii Lamptey. Don Hutchinson and Mathew Le Tissier were phenomenal. It's amazing how far how it's evolved what with the match engine, etc. Although, I kinda miss the simplicity of the old school Championship Manager, as it was purely plug and play, now in its incarnation of Football Manager you really have to devote so much time, effort and thought into it. I kinda wish I had enough time to play it, alas... I haven't played it since FM14.

Brilliant series. It may not the best selling series but in my opinion it's by far the best.

Growing up in the 90s it was easy to take players for granted (as well as qualifying). 

Last night I was watching a rerun of the Scotland vs Brazil match at the 98 WC as well as the England vs Scotland play off matches for 2000. The main difference between those teams and the teams that have come after it is those teams had balls. They may have lost against Brazil, and ultimately against England, but we went toe-to-toe with them. I miss that.

And special mentions to players like Durie, Gallacher, Tom Boyd, McNamara. I think those four were unappreciated, definitely by me. I'd love to have Durie or Kevin Gallacher now...

If anyone's interested. You should be. It's a brilliant watch. We all know the result, but the drama and the heart that our players put into both legs make it a must watch. I still have them on VCR but I haven't watched them in years:

2000 Play-off First leg

2000 Play-off Second leg

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

3 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Growing up in the 90s it was easy to take players for granted (as well as qualifying). 

Last night I was watching a rerun of the Scotland vs Brazil match at the 98 WC as well as the England vs Scotland play off matches for 2000. The main difference between those teams and the teams that have come after it is those teams had balls. They may have lost against Brazil, and ultimately against England, but we went toe-to-toe with them. I miss that.

And special mentions to players like Durie, Gallacher, Tom Boyd, McNamara. I think those four were unappreciated, definitely by me. I'd love to have Durie or Kevin Gallacher now...

If anyone's interested. You should be. It's a brilliant watch. We all know the result, but the drama and the heart that our players put into both legs make it a must watch. I still have them on VCR but I haven't watched them in years:

2000 Play-off First leg

2000 Play-off Second leg

Thanks for sharing that, two of those 3 are in my top 5 games ever. 

9 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Anybody here remember Hughie Gallacher?    Lairdyfaeinverclyde mibbee?

Technically I could've put Denis Law in as I can remember watching the 1974 World Cup but he was way past his best by that stage. 

Thing with Jordan is that there's this myth that he was some form of prolific centre forward.  He scored the winner against Czechslovakia in 1973 that took us to Germany which probably made his name.   He's the only Scottish player to score in three consequential WC finals, he deserves recognition for that but they were goals which ultimately made no difference.  

Even at at club level, the most goals he scored in a season (all competitions) was 16 goals in 45 games for Southampton.  His career club record isn't much better than his international record, 1 goal every 4.27 games is pretty awful, remember he played in an era where Centre Forwards were supposed to score goals and do little else other than perhaps help to defend set pieces. 

Johnstone on the right Cooper on the left

Although my memory of Johnstone is mostly my mother telling me he ate six eggs a day when I wouldn't eat my  tea.

Needless to say I didn't eat enough eggs and never played like Jimmy Johnstone.

Wouldn't really matter who the other nine were, Probably play an 8-0-2 formation