Keepers - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Keepers

Hertsscot

9 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

(For arguments sake, let's just say that Forster in England's 5th choice)

It would appear that England's 5th choice (Pickford; Butland; Heaton; Gunn; Forster) is better than our 1st and 2nd Goalkeepers.

Hardly encouraging.

He's nowhere near 5th choice, Pope and a few others would be well ahead of him. 

11 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

It would appear that England's 5th choice (Pickford; Butland; Heaton; Gunn; Forster) is better than our 1st and 2nd Goalkeepers.

Hardly encouraging.

Possibly 6th choice if you factor in Nick Pope.

42 minutes ago, scotlad said:

If that's what he has decided then that's what he has decided, in which case this whole debate is immaterial. However, hypothetically, if he had a change of heart and decided he wanted to play for Scotland then I'd welcome him and anyone else of a similar calibre.

I understand your point of view and I respect it and yeah, ideally Scottish acadamies would be consistently producing players capable of playing in the top European leagues - and in a variety of positions not just at left-back! Unfortunately we've no centre halves playing at that level and we're now so bereft of goalkeeping talent that guys playing in the English third tier are in contention for a place. If we're serious about qualifying we need better than that.

If he changes his mind because he actually wants to play for Scotland then I wouldn’t have a problem with that. 

Every single thing I’ve read about him suggests he is desperate to play for England and has no interest in playing for us. Unless England don’t want him. 

58 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Hardly encouraging.

Forster isn’t necessarily a better keeper than Gordon but obviously Lennon prefers him. Gordon is a good bit older as well and will probably retire at the end of this season or next.

We don’t know if Forster will start ahead of Bain in the long run because Bain is injured at the moment. 

If Rangers put 3 of 4 goals past Forster on Sunday (unlikely I’ll grant you) then Bain may well walk back into the starting 11 when he’s fit. 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Forster isn’t necessarily a better keeper than Gordon but obviously Lennon prefers him. Gordon is a good bit older as well and will probably retire at the end of this season or next.

We don’t know if Forster will start ahead of Bain in the long run because Bain is injured at the moment. 

If Rangers put 3 of 4 goals past Forster on Sunday (unlikely I’ll grant you) then Bain may well walk back into the starting 11 when he’s fit. 

Also Gordon likes to avoid footballs. 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Yet another to get behind Gers?

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2019 at 5:59 PM, scotlad said:

Possibly 6th choice if you factor in Nick Pope.

Angus Gunn presumably now even more than 6th choice as as Henderson from Sheffield/Man Utd has been called up ahead of him.  Its just very frustrating we have issues with gk we have issues with rb, in Gunn and Fredericks we have decent players who would be upgrades on what we've got.  I just want to know they've been contacted, I assume Gunn has.

21 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Angus Gunn presumably now even more than 6th choice as as Henderson from Sheffield/Man Utd has been called up ahead of him.  Its just very frustrating we have issues with gk we have issues with rb, in Gunn and Fredericks we have decent players who would be upgrades on what we've got.  I just want to know they've been contacted, I assume Gunn has.

Gunn has made it abundantly clear in the past (even with his Dad pleading with him to represent Scotland) that he feels English not Scottish.

Fredericks has either turned us down or else it's the reports of his eligibility were false.

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Gunn has made it abundantly clear in the past (even with his Dad pleading with him to represent Scotland) that he feels English not Scottish.

Fredericks has either turned us down or else it's the reports of his eligibility were false.

Fair play to Gunn for that too. 😊👍

It’s us who I feel total embarrassment for at the spineless chasing that we do to these players. 😏

9 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If you look at his Twitter account, Gunn is a massive fan of England (not just professional pride). He has no interest in Scotland, so I'd rather leave it

19 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

9 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

If you look at his Twitter account, Gunn is a massive fan of England (not just professional pride). He has no interest in Scotland, so I'd rather leave it

I know it's just I'm just finding it hard to let go as both are good players and I'm sure both would improve what we've got.  I need to move on.

On 10/8/2019 at 9:50 PM, Hertsscot said:

Last time I saw Henderson play he had a howler that essentially cost his team a point. His manager wasn't all that sympathetic either, going by his post match comments! We can all have an off day though.

As for Gunn, if he wants to play for Scotland I'm sure, barring injuries or a 'golden generation' of Scottish goalkeepers emerging out of nowhere, he will.

On the other hand, if he'd rather spend international weekends watching England on the TV and hoping he might one day make his way far enough up the England pecking order to win a cap, then that's what he'll do; and if so, fair enough.

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I hear Robbie McRorie has been outstanding at QoS. Can anyone confirm this? Apparently he’s also shot up in height in the last year. 

I saw him at the weekend against Thistle. Not the sternest of tests, admittedly, due to Thistle being shite so far this season (I just love football the noo) but  I remember thinking their keeper seemed quite vocal and he commanded his area quite confidently.

He's 21, though, so I'd be surprised if he's gained a lot of height - don't people tend to stop reach their full height by the age of 18? Wikipedia reckons he's 6' 3", so whenever he reached that height, I think it's fair to say he's tall enough for the job!

7 hours ago, scotlad said:

Last time I saw Henderson play he had a howler that essentially cost his team a point. His manager wasn't all that sympathetic either, going by his post match comments! We can all have an off day though.

As for Gunn, if he wants to play for Scotland I'm sure, barring injuries or a 'golden generation' of Scottish goalkeepers emerging out of nowhere, he will.

On the other hand, if he'd rather spend international weekends watching England on the TV and hoping he might one day make his way far enough up the England pecking order to win a cap, then that's what he'll do; and if so, fair enough.

I saw him at the weekend against Thistle. Not the sternest of tests, admittedly, due to Thistle being shite so far this season (I just love football the noo) but  I remember thinking their keeper seemed quite vocal and he commanded his area quite confidently.

He's 21, though, so I'd be surprised if he's gained a lot of height - don't people tend to stop reach their full height by the age of 18? Wikipedia reckons he's 6' 3", so whenever he reached that height, I think it's fair to say he's tall enough for the job!

Apparently he has indeed grown between 18 and 21 and is taller than his twin, Ross (although he seems bigger too).  Wikipedia has Robbie at  6’ 4” and Ross at 6ft 3”. Not always the most reliable source but if these figures are true they’ve both grown  - and puts Ross back into centre half contention. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

7 hours ago, scotlad said:

He wasn't bad when he was at Morton last season on loan and I'd have had him back over the 2 roasters we currently have.  He definitely has promise, he had a blinder against Dundee a couple of weeks ago in the Friday night live game and earned Queens a decent draw!

Robbie McCrorie was very talented as a youth player with some outstanding aspects to his game. Was heavily linked with big clubs. But he has a mental fragility to his game and made some big mistakes during games like the Youth Cup Final. Hopefully with a bit of maturity they will be ironed out his game. 
I’m 6 ft 3 and been stood beside him before.....he’s a big lad.