Keepers - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Keepers

Hertsscot

On 8/22/2019 at 10:20 PM, The_Dark_Knight said:

Good question.

It would appear that the only position we don't have a problem with is left back.

As it stands, we have 10 problem areas of the park. Not a good sign.

To answer your question. Why is Bain even a Scotland player? It seems like the only criteria for being picked for Scotland is by playing for Celtic (Jack Hendry) Gordon, Marshall... I can't think of a third. And since those two are at the end of their careers we should worry.

Doesn't McTominay cover at least 7 of these? 😂

12 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Doesn't McTominay cover at least 7 of these? 😂

So, do you suggest that we clone him? That may be out of the paygrade of the SFA. I suppose they could pluck 7 hairs out of his head, plant them and see what happens....

In all seriousness, though. We're in deep trouble with regards to every position (apart from left back). As far as the keeping situation is concerned, for about a couple of decades of so we've said "Ach, at least we have a couple of great goalkeepers". We can't even boast about that anymore. I mean, if we have to reply on guys like Xander Clark or Bain we're really screwed.

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I put forward McGlaughlin as he seems to have been forgotten on here.

From what I heard Sunderland wouldn't even have made the play offs but for him last season.

I saw him play a few times for Burton live. Steady keeper, not the tallest but is good on crosses and commands his back 4 well. Good squad keeper but not sure he's number one quality.

4 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I saw him play a few times for Burton live. Steady keeper, not the tallest but is good on crosses and commands his back 4 well. Good squad keeper but not sure he's number one quality.

No one is saying Jon McLaughlin should be our No. 1 keeper.

It's just if we needed another keeper for a couple of games then he should be strongly considered.

McLeish should have given McLaughlin a couple of 45 minute appearances in last years friendlies, like a smart manager would have done, but he didn't. 

Edited by ErsatzThistle

18 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

So, do you suggest that we clone him? That may be out of the paygrade of the SFA. I suppose they could pluck 7 hairs out of his head, plant them and see what happens....

In all seriousness, though. We're in deep trouble with regards to every position (apart from left back). As far as the keeping situation is concerned, for about a couple of decades of so we've said "Ach, at least we have a couple of great goalkeepers". We can't even boast about that anymore. I mean, if we have to reply on guys like Xander Clark or Bain we're really screwed.

Midfield is alright surely, you can pick 5 options that are playing every week in premier league or Celtic (Christie, Fraser, McTom, McGinn and Forrest) and there's o.k back up.

Just to recap, ROI and Northern Iron have mediocre midfield options aswell but they seem to make a proper go of making play offs.

19 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Midfield is alright surely, you can pick 5 options that are playing every week in premier league or Celtic (Christie, Fraser, McTom, McGinn and Forrest) and there's o.k back up.

Just to recap, ROI and Northern Iron have mediocre midfield options aswell but they seem to make a proper go of making play offs.

That's the thing about our midfielders, though. None of them are anchormen. The only one that we have on the horizon is McRorie and he isn't exactly playing at a good level at the moment. The Porsmouth manager is even playing him at right back.

The thing with the Irish is that they always have good defenders, from Evans, Duffy, etc. We don't have any good defenders or good defensive midfielders. We're so bereft in those areas that i want Tierney as a center back and Robertson as an anchorman. 

On 8/23/2019 at 11:19 PM, Tartan Chris said:

This is fast becoming a worry with Forster moving to Celtic and Marshall( at least stats wise) having a very poor start to the season.

Maybe Clarke will unveil Angus Gunn a marquee summer signing

I'd love it if Angus Gunn decided to play for Scotland but I can't see it. I think he's played at every age group for them.

Plus England have a lot of goalies at the moment who are much of a muchness; a drop in form here and a long-term injury there and suddenly Gareth Southgate will have to look for alternatives.

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

I'd love it if Angus Gunn decided to play for Scotland but I can't see it. I think he's played at every age group for them.

Plus England have a lot of goalies at the moment who are much of a muchness; a drop in form here and a long-term injury there and suddenly Gareth Southgate will have to look for alternatives.

Why would you love it? He’s made his choice and that’s England. 

The only way he’ll change to us now is if he knows for sure he won’t get a look on for England so he can GTF as far as I’m concerned. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Why would you love it? He’s made his choice and that’s England. 

The only way he’ll change to us now is if he knows for sure he won’t get a look on for England so he can GTF as far as I’m concerned. 

Shouldn't be allowed to make choices until you are mature enough to make the correct one.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Why would you love it?He’s made his choice and that’s England. 

Because he's much better than the alternatives at the moment and he'd improve the team. It's not a hard concept to understand.

I'm hoping that Steve Clarke has been working on Angus Gunn. Reports were that he was considering switching last season.

He could go straight into the team and be a hall of famer before long, or wait for an England cap and maybe only get a handful.

43 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

I'm hoping that Steve Clarke has been working on Angus Gunn. Reports were that he was considering switching last season.

He could go straight into the team and be a hall of famer before long, or wait for an England cap and maybe only get a handful.

Could you provide a source ?

I've never read anything to indicate that Gunn is considering switching. Quite the opposite in fact.

15 hours ago, scotlad said:

Because he's much better than the alternatives at the moment and he'd improve the team. It's not a hard concept to understand.

He considers himself English and wants to play for England though. England are welcome to him.

I don't have anything against the guy but I don't want England's sloppy seconds.

8 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Do you really want a keeper that plays for us for the sole reason that he wasn't good enough for England?

I would rather have a team full of people that want to play for Scotland because they feel Scottish (regardless of where they were born).

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Do you really want a keeper that plays for us for the sole reason that he wasn't good enough for England?

I would rather have a team full of people that want to play for Scotland because they feel Scottish (regardless of where they were born).

I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety-nine just persons, which need no repentance.
— Luke 15:7

Interestingly Forster has gone from 3rd choice behind Gunn to first choice ahead of Gordon and Bain

Edited by ceudmilefailte

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He considers himself English and wants to play for England though. England are welcome to him.

I don't have anything against the guy but I don't want England's sloppy seconds.

If that's what he has decided then that's what he has decided, in which case this whole debate is immaterial. However, hypothetically, if he had a change of heart and decided he wanted to play for Scotland then I'd welcome him and anyone else of a similar calibre.

I understand your point of view and I respect it and yeah, ideally Scottish acadamies would be consistently producing players capable of playing in the top European leagues - and in a variety of positions not just at left-back! Unfortunately we've no centre halves playing at that level and we're now so bereft of goalkeeping talent that guys playing in the English third tier are in contention for a place. If we're serious about qualifying we need better than that.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety-nine just persons, which need no repentance.
— Luke 15:7

Interestingly Forster has gone from 3rd choice behind Gunn to first choice ahead of Gordon and Bain

Jeezo, when you think about it that makes our goalkeeping situation look even bleaker: a goalie who until yesterday hadn't played a first team game in over 18 months, who was third choice at a so-so EPL team, is considered better than two guys who'd otherwise be strong contenders to be our first choice!

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

(For arguments sake, let's just say that Forster in England's 5th choice)

It would appear that England's 5th choice (Pickford; Butland; Heaton; Gunn; Forster) is better than our 1st and 2nd Goalkeepers.

Hardly encouraging.