Keepers - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Keepers

Hertsscot

Good question.

It would appear that the only position we don't have a problem with is left back.

As it stands, we have 10 problem areas of the park. Not a good sign.

To answer your question. Why is Bain even a Scotland player? It seems like the only criteria for being picked for Scotland is by playing for Celtic (Jack Hendry) Gordon, Marshall... I can't think of a third. And since those two are at the end of their careers we should worry.

5 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Good question.

It would appear that the only position we don't have a problem with is left back.

To answer your question. Why is Bain even a Scotland player? It seems like the only criteria for being picked for Scotland is by playing for Celtic (Jack Hendry) Gordon, Marshall... I can't think of a third. And since those two are at the end of their careers we should worry.

10 problem areas. Lol you really are a bundle of positivity. 

9 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Good question.

Bain is best we have 

It is a problem position for us, unquestionably, and it could get even worse if the rumours linking Fraser Forster with a move back to Celtic turn out to be true.

In the next squad I'd expect to see Marshall, Gordon and one of McLaughlan, Kelly or Clarke. There's also the Portsmouth goalie, McGillivray, who could be in contention.

Not an enviable choice of talent there but it's the best we've got at the moment.

Forster has signed for Celtic on loan.
Tbf, I never rated Bain and do think he was only being picked because he was at Celtic. Kelly is a good keeper but unfortunately is now sat on the bench every week, Clark seems good too but inexperienced.
I guess that leaves Marshall as no 1 for now by default.

13 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Forster has signed for Celtic on loan.
Tbf, I never rated Bain and do think he was only being picked because he was at Celtic. Kelly is a good keeper but unfortunately is now sat on the bench every week, Clark seems good too but inexperienced.
I guess that leaves Marshall as no 1 for now by default.

Well, that's good news for Celtic but bad for the national team. 

We'll just have to hope Marshall can maintain his form at Wigan and in the longer term hope that a quality keeper emerges from somewhere.

3 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

I don't think you can still call it a rumour when you parade the player around the park at half time..

I didn't know that because I wasn't at the game last night, because I'm not a Celtic supporter. Last I was aware of until this morning was that it was a rumour.

4 hours ago, csinclair said:

Tbf, keeper used to be our most blessed position when McGregor, Gordon & Marshall were all in their prime

Despite the cliché, we've been well served for keepers over the past 30 years. 

When I started following Scotland Jim Leighton was first choice, then Andy Goram, then Jim Leighton again, then Neil Sullivan and Rab Douglas (who seemed like downgrades at the time but one was an EPL regular and the other a UEFA Cup finalist) before Gordon, McGregor and Marshall came on the scene. 

With those three now ageing and or retired, this is the most fallow period I can remember as a Scotland fan for goalkeepers.

Goal keeping is least of our worries provided we have an awrigty guy. 

Goalie can only do so much in a game and has to wait for the action to come to him. 

Out field is where we want to get great talent in our players.

Edited by bonny78

9 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Goal keeping is least of our worries provided we have an awrigty guy. 

Goalie can only do so much in a game and has to wait for the action to come to him. 

Out field is where we want to get great talent in our players.

So I take it you don't believe in the old cliche that  in football  you are 'only as good as your goalkeeper'.

23 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

With Bain being out of the double header, any idea what the pecking order is?  Presumably Marshall in poll position, then Gordon, then Kelly albeit he hasn't played for QPR thus far.  It's a position we don't seem as strong in as a few years back.

I would imagine McLaughlin will be in the squad and will be second choice to Marshall with Kelly as third choice. 

Can’t say I’m particularly bothered that Bain is out. Not that I want to see any player injured but he’s an average keeper at best.