Squad announcement for Russia/Belgium. - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad announcement for Russia/Belgium.

marinello

8 minutes ago, TheReid said:

I expect the squad to be.

Russell

Fraser    Christie       Forrest

Mctominay Mcginn

Robertson Mulgrew Hanley O'Donnell

Marshall

I'd go with that but with Naismith up top and possibly McGregor in for  Christie.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

McBurnie

Fraser                                                                                        Forrest

McGregor                        McTominay             McGinn

Robertson                      Cooper          Hanley                   Jack

McGlaughlin

Might change that toataly after the weekends games though

Edited by ceudmilefailte

26 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

McBurnie

Fraser                                                                                        Forrest

McGlaughlin

This is the starting line-up I want to see (apart from RB and Goalie, where I'm not too fussed which one of the options starts).

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

McBurnie

McGlaughlin

What formation is that???🤔🤔

7 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

What formation is that???🤔🤔

4-3-2-1, every one is using it these days

Some might call it a 4-5-1 or those that are totally delusional  a 4-3-3

As the game goes on you could move Mcginn forward and have a 4-2-3-1 or perhaps even McGinn and McGregor  to have a 4 1 4 1.

If your losing but think you  should be winning you could switch to the new, but fashionable 4-2-2 2 were you might need to bring Cristie on for McGregor and Mclean on for McGinn. Not sure what to do if you are winning and know you should be losing I''l review those France videos later.

I'll stick to calling a 4-3-2-1- for now though.

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

McBurnie

McGlaughlin

I doubt Jack will start at RB. It will be O'Donnell I think.

If Clarke was contemplating Jack at RB I doubt he'd have called up two recognised RBs.

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I did get the feeling he only came back last year to help us out when we were short on strikers. If that was the case then fair enough but why not announce his retirement from international football?

If he wants to pick and choose matches then he can fuck off. Not sure why he wouldn’t want to play in these two huge games if that’s what he’s trying to do though. 

Sad thing was he had arguably his best two games for us when he came back. However it’s worth remembering he only came back due to Naismith being injured.

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd go with that but with Naismith up top and possibly McGregor in for  Christie.

Naisy has only played 45 mins since February or something like that. Hopefully he gets 90 mins on saturday though. 

13 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

We’re not in as bad a position as some would make out. I’ve just seen the ROI squad and there’s 4 or 5 players in there I’ve never heard of including a guy from Shamrock Rovers.

We are in a bad position it's just Ireland are as bad as us when it comes to their player options 

Interestingly Belgium only have one more player (10) from the EPL than us (9) in their squad. Though they do have another 7 from the top 4 European leagues. Russia only have a single representative from one of the big four European leagues in their squad. 

52 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Iv'e just stuck him there because some on on here said he was comfortable on the ball, unlike the other options😪

l

I wouldn’t actually mind if Jack started, I just don’t think he will. 

Jack might be a better option to come on late on if we have a lead to protect and the starting midfield are knackered. 

Not the team I'm expecting to start against Russia but the team I'd like to see:

Marshall

Jack McTominay Mulgrew Robertson

Armstrong McGregor

Forrest McGinn Fraser

Naismith

We really need to fix the problems with our defence before we do anything else. A shoogly defence justs breeds insecurity in any team. Once Tierney is back he would slot in at right back giving us three EPL starters (assuming Tierney starts for Arsenal right away).

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Rumoured that Craig Halkett might be added to the squad.

I think Clarke is going to watch him tomorrow before making a decision. Could be Bates or Devlin instead if they get a game at the weekend.

I hope it's Halkett though.

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I think Clarke is going to watch him tomorrow before making a decision. Could be Bates or Devlin instead if they get a game at the weekend.

I hope it's Halkett though.

Lindsay should be considered too. Stoke have been bad but individually he's been alright

20 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Interestingly Belgium only have one more player (10) from the EPL than us (9) in their squad. Though they do have another 7 from the top 4 European leagues. Russia only have a single representative from one of the big four European leagues in their squad. 

Russia squad has always been pretty much home based, you had Golovin who's struggled to make an impact at Monaco.

Still got likes of Mario Fernandes and Dzuba who were excellent in the World cup for them.

I imagine they'll come to Hampden and be solid and get a point so up to Clarke to put out an 11 that can play with tempo and take the game to them.

20 hours ago, noctonjock said:

We are in a bad position it's just Ireland are as bad as us when it comes to their player options 

I’d say Ireland had a similar pedigree of player to us when we had them in our group under Strachan. 

Looking at their squad now I’d say we were in a better place.

I'd go with this i think:

McBurnie
Forrest - McGinn - Fraser
McTominay - McGregor
Robertson - Mulgrew - Hanley - Palmer
McLaughlin

Can't be throwing MacGallivray into these games. And I still just don't trust Marshall's distribution. It was poor in the last games, and it'll cost us sooner or later. McLaughlin's also playing for a team tied for 1st, while Marshall's shipping goals all over and in the relegation zone. Yes, different tiers, but it's going to affect their mentality and the choices we make. I'd rather go with the confident guy.

Mulgrew and Hanley is the only pair that really makes sense. They've both got experience, they've played together before and Hanley's playing at the top level while Cooper isn't. Taylor did well last time, but it's Robertson 100%. At right back, not much between them. Putting Palmer in is a bit of a risk, as if he has a bad time against Cheryshev (who has shown he's capable of doing that to people) then his international career is probably over. I think Palmer's a bit more agile that O'Donnell tho, so might be better able to stay with his man on this occasion.

McTominay.. nailed on. I want to play Armstrong as he's super consistent and reliable and that's what we need. But given that he's not even played half an hour of football this season, it's really hard to justify putting him in. He's not going to be fully match sharp. McGregor's the obvious alternative to me. Moves the ball well.. can disappear sometimes, but i just don't see McLean or Jack as more reliable options. McGinn could play deeper, but I'd rather see him further forward, going beyond the striker, and having the freedom to close down all over without it leaving gaping holes in our defensive shape. So McGinn edges out Christie for the attacking mid slot because of that workrate and ability to disrupt.

The wide 2 are the wide 2. They're the best we have.

Up top, it's McBurnie for me. It feels too soon for Naismith (he's said so himself), he's just played so little football.. and Russell isn't a center forward. Given that Jack Harper's good looking move to Getafe has morphed into a crappy loan to LaLiga2, there was maybe a case of Shankland given he's scored 7 in 3 league games, but oh well. Of the options in the squad it's got to eb McBurnie for me.

Certainly not confident, given the absences. Fletch, McKenna, Tierney, Gordon and a match sharp Armstrong would all be in my 11, but we've got what we've got available. Just got to hope for the best.

19 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Has some one pulled out that we are looking at call ups?

Not yet but I expect a couple after the weekend games. 

Clarke said on Tuesday that he deliberately left an empty space in central defence as he wanted to see who played at the weekend so even if there are no withdrawals there should be another central defender added on Sunday or Monday.