Squad announcement for Russia/Belgium. - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad announcement for Russia/Belgium.

marinello

10 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

As I said earlier, people will only hear what they want to hear.

It's a "not proven" from me.

Same.

The only bits that are clear are "I hope not" (which could refer to anything), "why, are you injured?" (which again, could refer to anything - and there's even a gap between the'why'and the'are you injured', like the video skips).

As for the 'shite' bit, it sounds like someone said it but it isn't clear who and it certainly isn't clear what or who he's referring to.

If I was Clarke I'd probably be getting in touch to try and clarify things with him. I'm prepared to give McBurnie the benefit of the doubt but I do have a bit of bad feeling about it. Then again, I generally have a bit of a bad feeling where Scotland is concerned these days!

21 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Hmmm I'd imagine for Palmer it's more down to the fact he was absolutely abysmal in his recent appearance. I don't think anyone gives a shite that he plays for Sheffield Wed.

So players now get one game, where the entire team plays awful, many much worse, then we just write them off.

Seems a solid plan, can't see how that could go wrong.

23 minutes ago, andyD said:

So players now get one game, where the entire team plays awful, many much worse, then we just write them off.

Seems a solid plan, can't see how that could go wrong.

Not at all. Well done on reading between the imaginary lines and drawing up your own conclusion though.

Fans have seen him. He was abysmal. I'd say that is more realistic why fans are against him being called up again as opposed to a disliking of Sheffield bloody Wednesday. Fans are fickle, one game will be enough for a lot of them, especially for a position where we have already got enough sub standard players angling for a game there.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

don't like this surrendering to players wanting to "look after their bodies" patter.

getting your country to a major tournament is such a lift for all the wee kids back home.  if you can help, you should.  

colour me shocked football's ruined ..  me me me.

Clarke saying he'd keep the door open.  I wouldn't.  we need committed men or it will never work.

Umm..  I'm calling fake on the video.
In the video, McBurnie has a bit of an accent.. the vowels are there.

But that's not how he sounds at all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJUHA-3FOl4

So, that makes me think those voices are just dubbed on the top by someone wanting to do him down for some reason.

There's also weird lip syncing around "you injured, you're gonna leave me go on my own?" which suggests it's dubbed on too.

It also makes zero sense as a conversation about Scotland, given that Fleck doesn't make squads regularly, Fleck wouldn't 'come along' if he wasn't injured..

All in all, any right minded individual should just toss this video aside. It's garbage.

17 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I reckon Clarke would have played Mulgrew with either Souttar or McKenna had one or both been fit. 

He will probably end up playing Mulgrew and Cooper who is (allegedly) playing at a higher level than Souttar or McKenna so I don’t think we’re any worse off. 

Unless another CB gets injured of course.  

I'm expecting Mulgrew and Hanley.
Hanley's playing premier league and going ok, while Cooper is Championship and doing ok.
Hanley and Mulgrew probably also know each other from squads of old and probably played together a few times, tho right now I cba to check if they did or no. :D

If another centerback gets injured.. well..
Lindsay gets a call? Or.. David Bates will play tonight, so that'll show he's fit enough. Really not sure why there's only 3 centerbacks in the squad. I kinda hate when managers do this.. I berated previous managers (Strachan and McLeish) for only taking one right back in squads on more than one occasion, so I'm not going to spare Clarke criticism for only taking 3 centerbacks.

If you can take 8 center mids.. you can take 4 center backs. 😕

What am I missing that is causing a bit of a panic regards the squad's quality? It's basically the same barring McKenna, Tierney and Griffiths - And KT hasn't played for Scotland in almost a year.

It's basically what I was expecting. Chuck Shankland (8 goals in 3 yes yes Championship etc but still) and Griffiths in - both don't need to play but let's see how good Laurence is in training and Griff is IMO a better striker than McBurnie.

The defence and up front looks worrying whilst the midfield is really exciting - McGinn, McGregor, Christie, Fraser, McTominay, Forrest plus the likes of McLean all look very capable of competing for us.

Playoffs are most likely our best chance of qualifying. Of course I hope we can get second but its very doubtful considering that Kazakhstan game ; but if we can get a wee bit of momentum going in Oct/Nov it would set us up nicely for the Playoffs in March.

Edited by weekevie04

I hold the view that we're already fucked in this group. The best we can hope for is that Clarke can get us more organised, more difficult to beat and gain some idea of our best 11 ahead of a play off. A few morale boosting wins and performances along the way widnae go amiss either 👍

6 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

To me, it looks like they're in their training gear (no numbers on their shirts). Fleck is in jogging bottoms and actually says to Mcburnie he's injured

Could well have been but it doesn't mean we know exactly what was going on. They could have been joking around or they might not have been talking about the international break.

We'll see what happens over the next day or so. The Daily Record are now reporting it so more if it gathers pace McBurnie might respond to clear it up (or admit his hatred of going away with Scotland).

Edited by Texas Pete

3 hours ago, andyD said:

I'm expecting Mulgrew and Hanley.
Hanley's playing premier league and going ok, while Cooper is Championship and doing ok.
Hanley and Mulgrew probably also know each other from squads of old and probably played together a few times, tho right now I cba to check if they did or no. :D

If another centerback gets injured.. well..
Lindsay gets a call? Or.. David Bates will play tonight, so that'll show he's fit enough. Really not sure why there's only 3 centerbacks in the squad. I kinda hate when managers do this.. I berated previous managers (Strachan and McLeish) for only taking one right back in squads on more than one occasion, so I'm not going to spare Clarke criticism for only taking 3 centerbacks.

If you can take 8 center mids.. you can take 4 center backs. 😕

The more I think about it Clarke might go with Hanley and Cooper. Mulgrew has been a regular recently but he's not starting for his club at the moment.

Clarke might be worried about throwing a rusty CB in against Russia and Belgium. I know I would be.

5 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

What am I missing that is causing a bit of a panic regards the squad's quality? It's basically the same barring McKenna, Tierney and Griffiths - And KT hasn't played for Scotland in almost a year.

It's basically what I was expecting. Chuck Shankland (8 goals in 3 yes yes Championship etc but still) and Griffiths in - both don't need to play but let's see how good Laurence is in training and Griff is IMO a better striker than McBurnie.

The defence and up front looks worrying whilst the midfield is really exciting - McGinn, McGregor, Christie, Fraser, McTominay, Forrest plus the likes of McLean all look very capable of competing for us.

Playoffs are most likely our best chance of qualifying. Of course I hope we can get second but its very doubtful considering that Kazakhstan game ; but if we can get a wee bit of momentum going in Oct/Nov it would set us up nicely for the Playoffs in March.

I don't sense panic, more a dawning realisation that, midfield and left-back aside, we're painfully short of quality players in key positions, and we're about to play the two best teams in the group.

7 hours ago, andyD said:

Umm..  I'm calling fake on the video.
In the video, McBurnie has a bit of an accent.. the vowels are there.

But that's not how he sounds at all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJUHA-3FOl4

So, that makes me think those voices are just dubbed on the top by someone wanting to do him down for some reason.

There's also weird lip syncing around "you injured, you're gonna leave me go on my own?" which suggests it's dubbed on too.

It also makes zero sense as a conversation about Scotland, given that Fleck doesn't make squads regularly, Fleck wouldn't 'come along' if he wasn't injured..

All in all, any right minded individual should just toss this video aside. It's garbage.

You're right, the two voices sound different. They are both Yorkshire accents but the voice in the You Tube clip sounds slightly higher in pitch than the one people are getting upset about.

This was from before the squad announcement:

Speaking to The Sheffield Star, Fletcher confirmed he plans to hold talks with Steve Clarke before making his decision.

He said: "We have got a good campaign going. I need to sit down and see if he wants me to play.

"Then, obviously, realise if I can keep going away on international duty and then come back fit as well.

"I need to sit down and think about it. I need to look after myself.

"I am in my 30s and am injury-free for the first time in a long time. I don't really want to put that in jeopardy.

"It's a hard decision."

9 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's not - just didn't want called up from what I've been told (and have absolutely no reason to doubt the person who told me!)

I did get the feeling he only came back last year to help us out when we were short on strikers. If that was the case then fair enough but why not announce his retirement from international football?

If he wants to pick and choose matches then he can fuck off. Not sure why he wouldn’t want to play in these two huge games if that’s what he’s trying to do though. 

14 minutes ago, csinclair said:

This was from before the squad announcement:

Speaking to The Sheffield Star, Fletcher confirmed he plans to hold talks with Steve Clarke before making his decision.

He said: "We have got a good campaign going. I need to sit down and see if he wants me to play.

"Then, obviously, realise if I can keep going away on international duty and then come back fit as well.

"I need to sit down and think about it. I need to look after myself.

"I am in my 30s and am injury-free for the first time in a long time. I don't really want to put that in jeopardy.

"It's a hard decision."

Oh well. If he wants to miss out on big games against the best in the world so he can play a few extra matches at Hillsborough that’s up to him. 

Time to move on.

I expect the squad to be.

Russell

Fraser    Christie       Forrest

Mctominay Mcginn

Robertson Mulgrew Hanley O'Donnell

Marshall