Squad announcement for Russia/Belgium. - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad announcement for Russia/Belgium.

marinello

On 8/22/2019 at 6:20 AM, mccaughey85 said:

Personally I would have Robertson, fraser, mctominay, forrest and Griffith's in that team. Gordon back then was alot better so I would go with that version of him than the version now. That leaves dailly(can't remember if he played at left back or right back, pretty sure he played both in his career as well as centre back), weir, fletcher, Ferguson. Pressley was as poor a centre back as the guys we have now so it could be any of them. Also Ferguson was not necessarily much better than mcginn and McGregor imo. So it would be a toss up over who played between those three but I Ferguson would probably edge it.

The two wins against France (as great as they was)were the biggest snatch and grabs you will ever get. They were absolutely lucky wins that came from a little bit of McFadden magic. Admittedly we did play well against italy and we could of got a result but we also got lucky in that game as well as our goal was offside as well as an Italian goal being wrongly disallowed as offside. 

If your suggesting back then that we played excellent football then I am afraid you are wrong, for many years prior and after that campaign we were like we are now and that was absolute horseshit at even stringing two passes together. There's been brief periods in the last twenty years where we have played some decent football and looked like a reasonable side, that campaign was one of them and Gordon Strachans first year or so in charge but that's not to say we haven't had odd games where we have looked good. The main problem imo is management and lack of depth in quality players. We lose an epl quality player and we don't have an epl quality player as back up to come in. 

As for mcburnie we both agree he isn't great but I can't see Sheffield United putting a 20 million player out on loan. 

Have to disagree with part of that.  B.Ferguson at his peak was, for me, streets ahead of the peaks McGinn &  McGregor have reached so far.

Marshall, McLaughlin, McGillivray

Cooper, Hanley, Mulgrew, O’Donnell, Palmer, Robertson, Taylor

Armstrong, Christie, Jack, McGinn, McGregor, McLean, McTominay, Snodgrass

Forrest, Fraser, McBurnie, Naismith, Phillips, Russell

Edited by Davied14

2 minutes ago, Davied14 said:

No giant surprises. Great to see Snoddy back. 

18 minutes ago, Davied14 said:

Won’t be the starting XI but would play it....

Marshall

Jack        Hanley     Mulgrew  Robertson

Forrest      McTominay McGregor     Fraser 

Christie

Phillips/McBurnie

19 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Centre halves are giving me the fear already.

Centre halves give me the fear every time a squad is announced😂

Strange there's no Griffiths unless he has asked not to be considered for selection.

4 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Won’t be the starting XI but would play it....

Marshall

Jack        Hanley     Mulgrew  Robertson

Forrest      McTominay McGregor     Fraser 

Christie

Phillips/McBurnie

Similar

Marshall

Jack Hanley Cooper Robbo

McTominay McGinn McLean

Forrest McBurnie Forrest

30 minutes ago, Davied14 said:

Where u get this from? BBC website has Cairney in a squad of 25 though they do say he has not been included so...

4 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Similar

Marshall

Jack Hanley Cooper Robbo

McTominay McGinn McLean

Forrest McBurnie Forrest

Similiar thoughts but I would swap O'Donnell for Jack.  I know O'Donnell isn't great but he's far from terrible and it's his natural position. 

Jack has been excellent for Rangers in midfield but moving him to RB, even though he has played there before, would likely be a repeat of the disaster that was Shinnie at LB in Kazakhstan, and we're up against much better opposition this time!

4 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

Similiar thoughts but I would swap O'Donnell for Jack.  I know O'Donnell isn't great but he's far from terrible and it's his natural position. 

Jack has been excellent for Rangers in midfield but moving him to RB, even though he has played there before, would likely be a repeat of the disaster that was Shinnie at LB in Kazakhstan, and we're up against much better opposition this time!

Jack is more competent at right back than O'Donnell in my opinion... He's played there many times 

For me this would be the best starting lineup v Russia:

Marshall

Jack    Hanley    Mulgrew   Robertson

McGregor    McTominay   McGinn

Forrest    McBurnie    Fraser

2 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

For me this would be the best starting lineup v Russia:

Marshall

Jack    Hanley    Mulgrew   Robertson

McGregor    McTominay   McGinn

Forrest    McBurnie    Fraser

Maybe swap Naismith for McBurnie and that's probably the best we can do from what we've got.

We have potentially 9 players that play in the EPL. That is more than I can ever recall. (10 once Tierney is back)

I remember when we played England a few years ago the commentator said "it's like a premier league team playing a championship team" due to where the starting 11s played. From a psychological point of view, this is massive. 

Times are slowly changing.

Edited by Tartan blood

Craig MacGillivray???  Never heard of the guy.  That's one out of left field!  Quick look at Wikipedia - born in Perthshire, now 26 and has spent his career dossing around the lower reaches of English fitba.  Can't say that fills me with any great confidence even for a 3rd choice.  Surely we've got somebody better than that?!

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

He's probably quite aware of our limitations as most of the world is. He was also aware of Kilmarnocks limitations but still took that job. By problem positions you mean he doesn't have world class players in every position. Well sadly that's Scotland, we have never had top players in each position since the 80s. If you are going to be constantly negative about the team you should support a nation with lots of top players because Scotland will likely never have a squad of top class players.

What are you trying to achieve by constantly berating our players, imagine I went on the Kilmarnock FC forum and constantly complained that they have no world class players and all the players are rubbish. You would think I am extremely stupid and would immediately wonder why I expect Kilmarnock to have world beaters in every position. Why do you expect Scotland to have a squad full of top class players, I don't think any other person on this forum expects anywhere near what you expect.

How many nations are there under 8 or 9m people that constantly produce top class players. I can only really think of two and that's Uruguay and Croatia. Maybe you can tell me some more because most small nations tend to struggle in the same manner we do.

World class players? I would settle for good players.

Do you think it's too much to ask that a nation who helped create and develop the sport to expect their nation to be good at it? Their FA to give a crap? And for that nation to produce good players? 

I think that's the bare minimum of expectations.

I'm not expecting us to win worlds cups, etc. Hell, I'd settle for one win in their next three matches. But even that is probably a step too far.

You look at our latest squad and you tell me if I'm being negative. This is probably the weakest squad we've ever named. I'm not making stuff up: Two of our keepers are in league one in England, the other is in the championship. Defenders that are scattered from league one, the championship and one from the EPL. A striker that's not even fit. And don't even get me started on Russell.

Our clubs and FA should hang their collective heads in shame as they're responsible for this.

So you think this is acceptable? That we have at least three players from the English third tier? I don't.