Squad announcement for Russia/Belgium. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad announcement for Russia/Belgium.

marinello

My 4 would be S Fletcher - if he is still willing to be called up, Steven Naismith, Griffiths and as something else from the bench - Oli Burke.  I understand that may seem like a contradiction not wishing for McBurnie because he isn't starting and maybe not fully fit but given the choice of a wild card from the bench, I'm opting for Burke.  My ultimate choice if he were getting game time is Jordan Rhodes. 

Edited by romanticscot

Think squad will look a lot stronger than the last one (which is really encouraging) with recalls for the likes of Snodgrass, Fletcher, McBurnie and Griffiths (would also not be surprised if Ritchie creeps in, but given the form of our current wide men, most likely will not make it).... press have been saying that Clarke has been using the summer to chat with a couple of eligible players in England (given his contacts within English football, would not really surprise me) so might see a surprise or two, but all in all, if we can get everyone who pulled out of last couple of squads into one squad, actually a pretty tasty squad he is putting together.

Edited by wanderer

6 hours ago, romanticscot said:

My 4 would be S Fletcher - if he is still willing to be called up, Steven Naismith, Griffiths and as something else from the bench - Oli Burke.  I understand that may seem like a contradiction not wishing for McBurnie because he isn't starting and maybe not fully fit but given the choice of a wild card from the bench, I'm opting for Burke.  My ultimate choice if he were getting game time is Jordan Rhodes. 

My understanding is that McBurnie is fully fit and has come of the bench for a reasonable amount of time in 100% of Sheffield Utd matches so far this season. Chris Wilder is very deliberately easing new signings into the team, just like Klopp does at Liverpool and completely differently than Fulham did last year. 

The apathy towards McBurnie on here is kind of bizarre. Like I must be missing something? I don't think he's the answer to all our problems, but people are even considering not calling him up?! 

He's our most on-form striker, and he's playing at a higher level than any other striker we have. Is it because of his beard or something? Is it because he wasn't born on Scotland? Is it because he's failed to scored in the handful of games he's played for an absolutely manky Scotland team? 

7 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

The apathy towards McBurnie on here is kind of bizarre. Like I must be missing something? I don't think he's the answer to all our problems, but people are even considering not calling him up?! 

He's our most on-form striker, and he's playing at a higher level than any other striker we have. Is it because of his beard or something? Is it because he wasn't born on Scotland? Is it because he's failed to scored in the handful of games he's played for an absolutely manky Scotland team? 

Think a lot of people base everything they know on him only upon his hand full of Scotland games.

Yes he has not done anything in a Scotland shirt (would even argue same applies at U21 level) but what games he has played in, the team in general have played VERY badly, and he has found himself being the scapegoat as he is expected to get the goals.

When you look at his stats at club level though, he is pretty much on a par with Jordan Rhodes when he was in his prime (this is what a lot of people miss out on, and to a degree explains his over inflated transfer fee to Sheffield), and no matter what anyone says, we are in no position to turn down a 20+ goals a season striker at Championship level.

13 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Think a lot of people base everything they know on him only upon his hand full of Scotland games.

Yes he has not done anything in a Scotland shirt (would even argue same applies at U21 level) but what games he has played in, the team in general have played VERY badly, and he has found himself being the scapegoat as he is expected to get the goals.

When you look at his stats at club level though, he is pretty much on a par with Jordan Rhodes when he was in his prime (this is what a lot of people miss out on, and to a degree explains his over inflated transfer fee to Sheffield), and no matter what anyone says, we are in no position to turn down a 20+ goals a season striker at Championship level.

Exactly 

I'm not for calling up McBurnie in this squad IF the other names I mentioned above are available not because He was not born in Scotland, not because of his beard, not because of his physical look or his lack of shin guards, because right now at this point in the season He has allot of pressure on his shoulders with the transfer fee, is not starting games, has been scoring in pre season or in the league, has not got any goals for Scotland YET, we have our biggest double header in a long time and need experience or a different approach for a sub if things are not going well - Oli Burke. His transfer fee is a discussion point but not enough of a case to call anyone up. I realise many will disagree, he may bag a brace at the weekend and the factors would change but just laying out my reasons for this double header alone currently. As I said earlier, I want him to succeed I like him, but I would pick my Scottish team mostly based on form. 

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

I've seen him for Scot Under 21s, the main Scotland team, Barnsley, Swansea and now Sheffield United. Not once have I went from the game saying "Wow, McBurnie" played well". He's a strange player. He looks like a target-man but he plays like a poacher.

The predicament that Scotland find themselves in (lack of creativity) I would rather have a target-man, a striker that will hold the ball up and bring others into play, than a poacher.

Saying that, though, I agree with you. The problem doesn't begin and end with McBurnie. The problems lays with generations of bad coaching and general apathy. I mean, we couldn't even qualify for anything when we had the likes of Darren Fletcher, Barry Ferguson, McFadden, Hutton, etc. The team of that era would probably dismantle the current team.

36 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I'm not for calling up McBurnie in this squad IF the other names I mentioned above are available not because He was not born in Scotland, not because of his beard, not because of his physical look or his lack of shin guards, because right now at this point in the season He has allot of pressure on his shoulders with the transfer fee, is not starting games, has been scoring in pre season or in the league, has not got any goals for Scotland YET, we have our biggest double header in a long time and need experience or a different approach for a sub if things are not going well - Oli Burke. His transfer fee is a discussion point but not enough of a case to call anyone up. I realise many will disagree, he may bag a brace at the weekend and the factors would change but just laying out my reasons for this double header alone currently. As I said earlier, I want him to succeed I like him, but I would pick my Scottish team mostly based on form. 

But, Burke hasn't even been starting games in the championship hahaha. McBurnie will score goals for Scotland, but he needs to be in the squad to do that I think. 

I understand this and made some comments on Burke above,  "hahaha" etc.  Comparing two players who are not starting, I said one offers pace and something different and opted to give with him for now.  I am all behind McBurnie and want him to get off the mark with Utd and see how he develops for us, He wouldn't be a starter for either games in my team, that would go to Steven Fletcher, so I am presenting my case to not have him in my squad TODAY, again as I said above if he grabs a goal or two, makes great contributions at the weekend then I'd likely change my mind. 

At present, I'd like the squad to be:

Keepers: Marshall, Gordon, Kelly

Defenders: Robertson, Mulgrew, McKenna, Lindsay, Fredericks (if ready to declare), Paterson. Ideally would include Souttar and Tierney but not sure if either will be fit.

Midfielders: Forrest, Fraser, McTominay, McGinn, Armstrong, Christie, McGregor, Fleck, Cairney, Snodgrass

Strikers: Griffiths, Naismith, S.Fletcher, McBurnie

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Be interesting to see if Griffiths starts tomorrow in Celtic's latest must win European tie.

Forgot the Birthday card yesterday, 29 you were wasn't it?

Right, you don't want Griffiths called up because he's 29 now .............

But you do want to call up 32 year old Steven Fletcher (you named him on your preferred list of strikers yesterday)

Logical.

3 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

At present, I'd like the squad to be:

Keepers: Marshall, Gordon, Kelly

Defenders: Robertson, Mulgrew, McKenna, Lindsay, Fredericks (if ready to declare), Paterson. Ideally would include Souttar and Tierney but not sure if either will be fit.

Midfielders: Forrest, Fraser, McTominay, McGinn, Armstrong, Christie, McGregor, Fleck, Cairney, Snodgrass

Strikers: Griffiths, Naismith, S.Fletcher, McBurnie

Struggling for centre back cover. Who else is there if anyone is injured? Hanley 🙈

I would imagine Kenny Maclean will be in the squad. 

14 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Liam Cooper is probably the best available, When you read about Clarke approaching players I would imagine he would have been one.

There is no need to "approach" Cooper.

He's already been on the bench at least once before for Scotland and has played for us at youth level.

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

There is no need to "approach" Cooper.

He's already been on the bench at least once before for Scotland and has played for us at youth level.

According to Wiki he was called up twice for friendlies and didn't get on pitch once which is pretty poor.

Dont quote me but it was suggested that he was called up for the friendly against the Netherlands when we didn't have a manager and  he made some excuse not to go.

21 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

According to Wiki he was called up twice for friendlies and didn't get on pitch once which is pretty poor.

Dont quote me but it was suggested that he was called up for the friendly against the Netherlands when we didn't have a manager and  he made some excuse not to go.

Provide some proof of this "bust up" then.

16 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Yeh I don't rate him highly but he's gotta be in the squad at least. We don't have a plethora of strikers playing at epl or even English championship level so he has to be included.