IDS - State pension at 75 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

IDS - State pension at 75

Unbelievable 

I've given up on my pension. Making no provision for it, waste of time imo. Worst of all people putting into the Government work place pension. A total scam to eradicate other benefits you'd be entitled to in your old age. 

Edited by Och Aye

The UK state pension is the worst in the developed world.  It is a pittance - how can anyone live (as opposed to exist) on that?  Actually the pension industry is a con too - unless you take your own steps to maximise the income from a personal pension plan, you will probably find the return on the pension pot if you opt for an annuity is less than the current rate of inflation, and it is quite possible that if you die, your total investment is lost.

This "work till 75" may be intended to soften people up - followed in due course by "we're only going to increase it to 70" which will give the impression to the less perspicacious amongst us that that's a good thing - is a gift to the indy movement.  In 2014 we were warned that voting Yes would mean we lost our pensions (Archie McPherson was caught on camera saying exactly that to a pensioner), but now the boot is on the other foot.  I can see that with people living longer, there is justification for an increase in the pension age (and that already appears to have happened in spades for women who used to get their state pension at 60 for some reason), but 75 is ridiculous - people will die as a result of such a radical theft of their contributions.  Keeping the state pension age reasonable in an indy Scotland would be a massive vote winner, and finding a way to increase the state pension even by a modest percentage would also bring in votes - funded by the savings made by scrapping nukes and a load of other stuff that we would not be paying for after indy.  If the SNP screw up this opportunity, they must be asleep at the wheel.

Here is a thought.... A LGV or PCV driver after the age of 60 has to have a medical anually.. At this time my Doctor charges approx £100 for this medical. so to work till 75 thats £1500 at todays prices.. Also driver CPC is £65 per session and you basically need to do that anually so about £975 in that time . 

We as a nation have to get clear of these lunatics as swiftly as possible as if we don't we will never be in a position to retire and if we do we will be unfit to do anything of purpose. 

21 minutes ago, Alibi said:

The UK state pension is the worst in the developed world.  It is a pittance - how can anyone live (as opposed to exist) on that?  Actually the pension industry is a con too - unless you take your own steps to maximise the income from a personal pension plan, you will probably find the return on the pension pot if you opt for an annuity is less than the current rate of inflation, and it is quite possible that if you die, your total investment is lost.

This "work till 75" may be intended to soften people up - followed in due course by "we're only going to increase it to 70" which will give the impression to the less perspicacious amongst us that that's a good thing - is a gift to the indy movement.  In 2014 we were warned that voting Yes would mean we lost our pensions (Archie McPherson was caught on camera saying exactly that to a pensioner), but now the boot is on the other foot.  I can see that with people living longer, there is justification for an increase in the pension age (and that already appears to have happened in spades for women who used to get their state pension at 60 for some reason), but 75 is ridiculous - people will die as a result of such a radical theft of their contributions.  Keeping the state pension age reasonable in an indy Scotland would be a massive vote winner, and finding a way to increase the state pension even by a modest percentage would also bring in votes - funded by the savings made by scrapping nukes and a load of other stuff that we would not be paying for after indy.  If the SNP screw up this opportunity, they must be asleep at the wheel.

Spot on 

Well...how did everyone** that voted for Brexit (thereby removing immigration as a solution) expect the government to solve the 'pensions timebomb' caused by an ageing population?

**Mainly older folk, which as PIAK rightly points out will be pan breed by then, so they'll be fine. Typical baby-boomers, pulling the ladder up behind them.

7 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Well...how did everyone** that voted for Brexit (thereby removing immigration as a solution) expect the government to solve the 'pensions timebomb' caused by an ageing population?

**Mainly older folk, which as PIAK rightly points out will be pan breed by then, so they'll be fine. Typical baby-boomers, pulling the ladder up behind them.

Don’t expect the state to look after you is what I take from this, although that’s easier said than done. 

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Don’t expect the state to look after you is what I take from this, although that’s easier said than done. 

Yep, it's been that way for a long time to be fair.

Even the Tories wouldn't be arrogant  enough to implement this. Its political suicide.  

Theres nothing currently stopping elderly people continuing to work beyond retirement if they want.

‘Employer led Mid Life MOT and implementation of an Age Confident scheme. What a load of condescending pish.

And where are all these jobs coming from?  More people forced into an extension of cheap labour no doubt. 

Seventy-five FFS.

A good few colleagues of mine have retired in recent years... Some retired early and some retired on time, but they all have one thing in common - they had all reached the point where they'd had enough of it all; enough of the aggravation and all the shit that comes your way when things go wrong (which they do, because shit happens from time to time).

So, what frame of mind are those having to retire at seventy-five going to be in?

11 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Unbelievable 

I've given up on my pension. Making no provision for it, waste of time imo. Worst of all people putting into the Government work place pension. A total scam to eradicate other benefits you'd be entitled to in your old age. 

I think you might be missing the point here? Maybe not? It's the state pension they are talking about putting back to 75. This makes it even more important to make your own provisions if you want to retire before 75. 

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I think you might be missing the point here? Maybe not? It's the state pension they are talking about putting back to 75. This makes it even more important to make your own provisions if you want to retire before 75. 

No, it makes getting the fck away from these absolute loonies in Westminster more important.

12 hours ago, Orraloon said:

And when most people do that we can scrap the state pension altogether and just force workers and employers to pay for their retirement through the work place pension. 

For about 2 years a guy I know was excitedly counting down the days till his retirement, state pension and a modest private pension.. Met him a few months after his retirement. Because he had a private pension his wife's benefit was cut, lost his housing benefit and he no longer got a council tax rebate, The poor sod was back working 3 days a week taxi driving to get by..

23 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

One wonders the thoughts of that Unionist fanny Alan on this one. 

Or is he hiding in the same Aberdeenshire forest as Ruth Davidson?

Today is GERSmas for the unionists, so there's a good chance Alan will come down from his mountain hideout.

On 8/20/2019 at 2:12 PM, Rich NATA said:

Seventy-five FFS.

A good few colleagues of mine have retired in recent years... Some retired early and some retired on time, but they all have one thing in common - they had all reached the point where they'd had enough of it all; enough of the aggravation and all the shit that comes your way when things go wrong (which they do, because shit happens from time to time).

So, what frame of mind are those having to retire at seventy-five going to be in?

bollox to 75 (unless you want to manage some business to keep yourself interested which  i know some folk do, but they are rich, and its a pass time)

I want to retire at  55 

But difficult question is how much money is enough 

2 hours ago, euan2020 said:

bollox to 75 (unless you want to manage some business to keep yourself interested which  i know some folk do, but they are rich, and its a pass time)

I want to retire at  55 

But difficult question is how much money is enough 

I just have retired at 55. I didn’t really want to but had to due to declining health. I think that it’s a really hard question to answer. It depends on what you want your life to be like & whether or not you want a secure fixed income for good or are willing to flex and/or risk it.

I’ve taken a bit of a view that I’m not likely to be in great health in (say) 20 years time so have front-loaded things a bit. I might end up with nothing but the state pension (although I get PIP as well) but how likely is it that I’ll be gallivanting around the world by then? So I want to be able to do things now & cross that bridge when I come to it  

Lots of advisors will do long-term forecasts & give you a guide to how big your pot needs to be based on your long-term spending plans. It’s hard though to be sure on anything. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

What I want to know is how can anyone vote these cunts in. If it comes a point where the retirement age is 75 then we as a nation should cease to exist and accept being a region if we are not that already. 

I always considered conservative voters selfish kents - no doubt they will have sorted themselves out with a good personal pension so the 75 thing will not impact them